I'm running a script to see who the most ignored user is ...

maybe their db isn't designed in such a way that it can easily be done

or maybe he's better at/likes writing scripts more.

or maybe both.

1. Only if you are retarded and know nothing beyond the absolute basics of SQL syntax. Somewhere there is a table linking user IDs to ignored user IDs. And there's another table linking user ID's to usernames. So the query involves a single join (ohnoez), a count(foo) as blah, and a group by, and of course an order by blah desc
2. Query could be written in a fraction of the time and it would execute much, much faster and result in less of a hit on the DB

Last edited:
because ignore lists are stored in text fields that require parsing.

I wonder what the logic was behind that decision

so it's something like a user ID column, and then a comma separated or XML ignored user IDs column, with a single row for every user?

If it was XML several dbms's allow you to create views that parse the XML column in various ways, so you could just make a column in the view that contains number of ignored users

i think this is a trick. we all ignore absent, but he doesn't ban him. everyone stops bitching, nobody notices.

I wonder what the logic was behind that decision

so it's something like a user ID column, and then a comma separated or XML ignored user IDs column, with a single row for every user?

If it was XML several dbms's allow you to create views that parse the XML column in various ways, so you could just make a column in the view that contains number of ignored users
i have no idea what you are talking about

every user has an 'ignorelist' column with a bunch of userids seperated by spaces. I have to pull that field and tally each entry via a script then output it.

1 absent 7292
2 script.kiddie 21515
3 orbital 123 17806
4 FngrBANG 7701
5 Kurayami 5009
6 BadMoFo 5305
7 mouse 32892
8 shieldpackman 34382
9 Xcursion 20482
10 naptown 21859
11 assfrags 27442
thats straight pathetic.

especially coming from this forum.... one of the last places on the net where one can say what they want.

amazing!

1 absent 7292
2 script.kiddie 21515
3 orbital 123 17806
4 FngrBANG 7701
5 Kurayami 5009
6 BadMoFo 5305
7 mouse 32892
8 shieldpackman 34382
9 Xcursion 20482
10 naptown 21859
11 assfrags 27442

I feel like I am viewing a wanted poster in the Post Office.

i have no idea what you are talking about

every user has an 'ignorelist' column with a bunch of userids seperated by spaces. I have to pull that field and tally each entry via a script then output it.

SELECT TOP 10 UserID, (LEN(IgnoreList) - LEN(REPLACE(IgnoreList, ' ', '')) + 1) AS IgnoreCount
FROM IgnoreTable
ORDER BY IgnoreCount DESC

ta-da

Back