[RIFT] Any of you honkies playing it?

Shopper47

Veteran X
RIFT - Home <- Game

Soul Tree Calculator :: Rift: Planes of Telara :: ZAM <- Talent Trees

It's probably the most polished MMO since WoW that I have seen. I played in the last few beta events and the talent tree style that they implemented is pretty damn cool (you get three different sub-specs to sort of.. super spec your char). For example; my char is a Rogue who can Tank and PVPwith one spec and with another spec is ranged using throwing weapons primarily but also has great melee skills and dots which I use for killing Rifts etc where I don't want to get close to cleaves/AOEs.

It has a LOT of WoW in it; which can be good or bad (I like most of the WoW parts because it makes the game quick to pick up) but it is definitely a wholly different experience (you can tell everyone on this development team played a lot of WoW.. there are many points where you see something that was an innovation you wanted to see in WoW (ie: why can't Rogues do anything with Throwing weapons? or If you say kill 6 mobs near each other, one click to loot just combines everything into one bag etc)

Anyways, just wondering who-all from WoW land is thinking about giving this a run? I might for a few months; it's pretty damn fun.

A guildmate in WoW made a video of one of the lowbie rift battles last week, looks decent but I'm not sure if I'll have time to play another game.

Here is a video I took of a Random Rift battle that occurs throughout the areas. You have both Rift Battles which are constant, or full on invasions that occur (big bosses, 20 rifts open at once etc).

Pros to Rift Battles: Amazing Experience, get Currency to buy some select pieces of equipment
Cons of Rift Battles: Not a gold maker, you'll be poor.

It's hard not to get wrapped up in them though because they are so fun.

PS: Yes, my mount is a two headed turtle.

i signed up for the suppose open beta today, but it still wont let me do anything, dunno. i want to try it.

Open beta ended today at 1 EST.

Edit: I preordered, it's fun enough that I'll play to max level and then get bored when the game sucks, most likely.

Wow, that looks very boring. (Just my opinion)
I agree but figured I'd post that here anyways in case people were curious. Keep in mind that's a lowbie rift so things might be more chaotic and fun to watch and play at later levels.

I may end up buying it and having fun for a bit, but only because of the people I know who are interested in checking it out. I can almost guarantee it won't last more than a month before it's shelved.

I played the Beta for about three hours. I didn't really find the game engaging or fun and I guess I thought the graphics would be better than they are on max settings. I think I'll actually pass on the game and wait for Tera and SWTOR.

I played the Beta for about three hours. I didn't really find the game engaging or fun and I guess I thought the graphics would be better than they are on max settings. I think I'll actually pass on the game and wait for Tera and SWTOR.

It took me a few hours to get into it; I didn't really begin to enjoy it until level 10-11 or so when abilities start to make a little more sense. By 16-17 you're picking up a blue weapon from Rift battles, maybe buying a mount, and you're playing BGs and actually starting to get some decent skills.

I've been in beta since Beta 5, have enjoyed it. I stopped at lvl31 during this last beta event. Will be playing on the 24th :bigthumb:

It's not taking me away from WoW, but it's a nice distraction on occasion.

If you look past its crappy engine, it's a pretty good game. I'll play it and see how the endgame is. Worth checking out for the class system alone. Can't wait for Thursday.

You're going to wait for m... oh. :(

I know most MMORPGs have similar looking GUIs but that looks so identical to WoW's it's not even funny.

The game is a mash-up of WoW and WAR in pretty much every sense. The only innovative thing is the class system. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, as WoW is a good game, and WAR had a few solid ideas.

SWOTR will never release. It's getting to the point that it's so behind it's going to possibly suck :\. I really want that game to come out but another 3+ month delay will probably suck.

SWOTR will never release. It's getting to the point that it's so behind it's going to possibly suck :\. I really want that game to come out but another 3+ month delay will probably suck.

I think that's a pretty ignorant statement. I'd much rather a developer take extra time to produce a complete product rather than release a half assed piece of shit. If Blizzard is any indicator, taking your sweet time produces much better results.

Will SWOTR suck? Possibly. Will it be because it took them forever to develop? No.

Blizzard is by far the exception and not the norm. When a game faces continuous delays it's usually because the game is shitty, the team is unhappy, and the end result is usually a buggy pile of crap that should have been shelved.

Blizzard is by far the exception and not the norm. When a game faces continuous delays it's usually because the game is shitty, the team is unhappy, and the end result is usually a buggy pile of crap that should have been shelved.

Biowares track record to now is impecable and they have a huge franchise to live up to, I highly doubt it will be a steaming pile.

Just because it's delayed doesn't mean that it's been delayed to make it better. Not sure what you do for a living but how many projects that get delayed at a big company have you been a part of that were just to 'ensure this is the best it can be!'. Not many. Most of delays are do to real problems that get brought up to an acceptable level, which is different then getting something up to the highest standards.

All you have to do is look at a lot of the recent MMO releases that had heavy delays to see that it doesn't make the game be better. Warhammer was delayed multiple times and when they released it it was far from ready and thus a mass exodus occurred after a few months.

I believe this was the 2nd or 3rd delay on SWOTR for Spring 2011 but doesn't seem like that is even realistic. Delays are costly, people leave projects, and the vast majority of the time they cut other corners to make the delays seem less huge. Timing around Blizzard also matters. A huge issue with WAR was it's release right before WOTLK. As such they lose tons of subs, had empty servers, had to consolidate servers, that didn't work and now they can't ever recover that initial buzz or subscription base.

Thats what worries me about SWOTR, trying to get stuff up to acceptable for release, and then working on post release patches. Cutting stuff because delays have already pushed back X amount and lots of other things tons of projects due to make dates and budget. Those are real possibilities regardless of what you think is ignorant. If you think the devs are in charge thats pretty ignorant as well.

I mean i'm looking forward to this, have been for a long time and I hope that it's not a pile of garbage using the SW brand to sell subs. But i also know enough about project management and MMO histories to know delays are more of an indicator of bad than good.

Last edited:
I would be terrified to make a Star Wars game. A game like Rift is random and can be judged based on merits and innovation alone; this game needs to be fucking fantastic or it will be DOA.

Back