taking wow (and mmo's) too far

I just find it ridiculous that anyone could find anything insightful in that article.

you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but a statement like that makes me think you either didn't read the article or are a really close-minded person.

i think any sensible person will agree that it's the person's own fault, as the author stated himself, and not the game's fault. who knows if someday the us government will do what china is trying to do, limit the amount of time you can play online games. I highly doubt it, but who knows, they just started shutting down online gambling in this country.

the article was about someone's bad experience, how they came to their realization, and how they took action to alleviate the situation. its not a whole lot unlike other addict, alcholic, depression, etc. type of story. they're glad they're moving on with their lives, write a little piece to tell their story. if it doesn't relate to you, whether you dont understand, dont believe, dont know, that's cool. i can certainly say i've read many things that i dont relate to, but if one person is experiencing it, someone else out there probably gets them. but to say you cant believe others can find something insightful, that's just throwing up your own mental wall.

I stopped reading right there.

While i'll certainly concede that not EVERY single game tries to get you to keep playing, to say that there are genres that do not intentionally try to keep you playing is completely absurd. RPG's try to make non-linear storylines to encourage replay value, sports games have all moved to dynasty/career playmodes nm a sequel every year, the sims has 45 sequels, online fps are still played by hundreds of thousands at all hours, some are over 10 years old ffs. Ask Valve how terrible it was for them to have the most played online fps when HL2 hit shelves... man having people still playing must have really painted that balance sheet red!

Games release expansion packs, patches and most importantly, sequels. The pay-to-play movement has certainly changed the extent of which companies try to keep you playing, but to say that game genres don't intentionally try to get to you play as much as you can is completely absurd. Just because mmo's host their own servers and are constantly trying to update the software doesn't force people to keep playing. If you don't enjoy the game and keep playing then its a malfunction on your part, not the developer's.

MMOs may try to keep you playing the most out of all the genres, but make no mistake the other genres want you playing too.

Whaat? Developers who make nonsubscription games do not intentionally focus on making you play "as much as you can." I would say that their goals are to create a quality game that reflects well on their company so that they can keep producing games. Will quality games make a person want to play it a lot? sure. But do they -design- a game so that it must be played that way? heeeck no. do u see any rpgs that make save points 3 hours away from each other? no way, that would be really crappy for designers to do that. and with halflife and tribes and other addictive fps; they design them with quality and fun on their minds, the BYPRODUCT of that is a captivated audience. you have to ask yourself, what would be the incentive for a developer to make games that force players to play perpetually? none. their profit comes from how well their game sells, they could care less if u get too busy with school and take time off.

On the other hand, look at the way WoW was designed. besides hearthstones, is there any fast way to travel about? flights and walking takes forever, making u take extra time to complete tasks. how about achieving reputation or pvp rank or epic mount. all these things take time, and because the world is always slowly introducing new and more powerful stuff, there is a sense of urgency to obtain these things in order to keep up with everyone else. and those lovely kill 10x of that and 20x of that quests; isn't that oddly time consuming? oh and how about the randomness and scarcity of the loot. "oops, someone got the helm of wrath this week, i guess i have to raid next week. oops, it didnt even drop at all this week, hope i have better luck next week!" and before you know it, there is another content patch out that releases other thigns that you want and therefore spend more time getting. -->how about when they make new bosses impossibly hard to keep guilds from progressing too fast? <-----

ever played guild wars? there is no subscription to play this game. the result? instant teleport to main destinations, easy and fast quests. they also remind you that youve been playing an hour/2 hours. and in the end, everyone has a good chance to obtain max weapons wihtout spending much time. it is not designed so that u must be logged on for long periods of time and they dont release content that makes u want to replace your current gear. however, that is not to say that people dont play the game religiously, but it is simply not designed to make you play "as much as you can."

see the difference? one game is -designed- to keep you playing and "as much as you can", while the other isnt.

^near perfectly said, but idiots on TW will never understand / accept that, so just be ready for flames

But that's pretty much exact. And the ironic part of the whole thing is, 80% of the time logged on in WoW, you're not even having fun, you're just doing boring mundane things like grinding rep, sitting in a 4 hour instance you've 100x before (at a chance to compete for a drop, given that drop even drops), farming for mats, farming for gold, or farming honor.

This game really has no soul. It's really just cow shit wrapped in a pretty box with glitter and a bow (the blizzard + warcraft franchise name being the pretty box and bow)

Pointing out the game is "designed" to keep you playing is like pointing out that the sky is blue. You distract from the fact that the world is immense, and it is supposed to feel tedious making the stretch, which also lends to drawning you into the environment.

Looks like Guild Wars is really taking the lion's share of the market, what with it's free gameplay and "designed with the consumer's RL free time in mind" :lol:

Quit stating opinions about the game like it's a fact. Just because you don't have fun logging in and farming things for one "goal" or another, doesn't mean others don't.

"Pointing out the game is "designed" to keep you playing is like pointing out that the sky is blue. "

-righto i thought it was pretty obvious too, but apparently someone thought otherwise

You distract from the fact that the world is immense, and it is supposed to feel tedious making the stretch, which also lends to drawning you into the environment.

-bloops.

Looks like Guild Wars is really taking the lion's share of the market, what with it's free gameplay and "designed with the consumer's RL free time in mind" :lol:

-agreed, "designed" to keep u playing = more money for blizzard

Quit stating opinions about the game like it's a fact. Just because you don't have fun logging in and farming things for one "goal" or another, doesn't mean others don't.

-sorry.

Blame it all on the game, will they?
To ensure "casual gamers" can enjoy the game almost as much, Blizzard implemented the "rest" system.
I have been playing since WoW came out and still have not failed my classes. I know a few friends who can handle WoW. Yes WoW takes a lot of time to play, but it's really up to an individual to maintain his or her own pace.

Whaat? Developers who make nonsubscription games do not intentionally focus on making you play "as much as you can."
already addressed
I would say that their goals are to create a quality game that reflects well on their company so that they can keep producing games. Will quality games make a person want to play it a lot? sure. But do they -design- a game so that it must be played that way? heeeck no.
wrong for the reasons i've already outlined
do u see any rpgs that make save points 3 hours away from each other? no way, that would be really crappy for designers to do that.
irrelevant to the topic
and with halflife and tribes and other addictive fps; they design them with quality and fun on their minds, the BYPRODUCT of that is a captivated audience. you have to ask yourself, what would be the incentive for a developer to make games that force players to play perpetually? none. their profit comes from how well their game sells, they could care less if u get too busy with school and take time off.
i've already outlined why developers like valve would want to you playing their game for years.
On the other hand, look at the way WoW was designed. besides hearthstones, is there any fast way to travel about?
teleporting
flights and walking takes forever, making u take extra time to complete tasks. how about achieving reputation or pvp rank or epic mount. all these things take time, and because the world is always slowly introducing new and more powerful stuff, there is a sense of urgency to obtain these things in order to keep up with everyone else.
for one, i'm never sitting and staring at the screen if i am travelling, i'll alt tab and IM people, check email, call someone, piss, do homework, watch tv, check the news...

the sense of urgency you get is something you have control over. if you chose to play after hitting lvl 60 and you chose to give a fuck about gear, then you can still play the game with an objective in mind.
and those lovely kill 10x of that and 20x of that quests; isn't that oddly time consuming? oh and how about the randomness and scarcity of the loot. "oops, someone got the helm of wrath this week, i guess i have to raid next week. oops, it didnt even drop at all this week, hope i have better luck next week!" and before you know it, there is another content patch out that releases other thigns that you want and therefore spend more time getting. -->how about when they make new bosses impossibly hard to keep guilds from progressing too fast? <-----
I'm not debating the fact that there are constructs and mechanism in mmos to keep you playing. if there wasn't you would turn the game off at the endgame. whether you ojective is to raid for loot or score a touchdown in madden, they are both equally pointless in real life and just ameans for people to entertain themselves.
ever played guild wars? there is no subscription to play this game. the result? instant teleport to main destinations, easy and fast quests. they also remind you that youve been playing an hour/2 hours. and in the end, everyone has a good chance to obtain max weapons wihtout spending much time. it is not designed so that u must be logged on for long periods of time and they dont release content that makes u want to replace your current gear. however, that is not to say that people dont play the game religiously, but it is simply not designed to make you play "as much as you can."
good for them, different game. They aren't forcing you to the extent that other mmo's are, but if you're proposing that they don't want you playing guild wars as much as you want to then you're on crack and don't understand the fundamentals of business.
see the difference? one game is -designed- to keep you playing and "as much as you can", while the other isnt.
in the spirit of not repeating myself earlier, i thought i'd at least copy + paste once to show that you aren't even on the same page.

MMOs may try to keep you playing the most out of all the genres, but make no mistake the other genres want you playing too.

Now, WoW may want you to play more than guild wars, but guild wars wants you playing too. being able to entertain people longer makes more people buy your product. if people can choose btw a game they can finish in 2 hours or a game like guild wars that can entertain them for a long time and lock them up for sequels, wouldn't it then be their goal to make a game that you will keep logging into? It's perfectly obvious.

the whole reason behind online games is to make people play your product LONGER. Even consoles now are really embracing online/subscription business models. Do you think the dream behind Quake was "gee let's make an awesome online game that they play for 4 hours then turn delete the game!"

Last edited:
ok, you said

"While i'll certainly concede that not EVERY single game tries to get you to keep playing, to say that there are genres that do not intentionally try to keep you playing is completely absurd."

- and i responded intentional = designed to milk money from players

and

"MMOs may try to keep you playing the most out of all the genres, but make no mistake the other genres want you playing too."

- mmos try to keep u playing -> ok thats what my rant about intentionally designed to make money was about
- other genres -keep-(dont try to replace keep with want :p) you playing too -> these games in contrast are not designed with milking your money the way WoW does it in mind.

"I'm not debating the fact that there are constructs and mechanism in mmos to keep you playing."

-cool, so u agree.

"Do you think the dream behind Quake was "gee let's make an awesome online game that they play for 4 hours then turn delete the game!"

-no, it probably went something like "gee lets make an awesome online game -period-"

Back