taking wow (and mmo's) too far

Page after page you're been in denial that ANYBODY can have a WoW problem that affects their real lives. You've attacked anybody who even hints as much.
reading is FUNdamental

i've never said people can't have a problem that affects their real life (you'd see that if you managed to read my very first post) i'm simply contesting the criteria that backseat psychologists like yourself use to categorize those with problems by comparing their habits to your own.

To repeat what i've already posted, I'm not preaching a polar stance, I'm just saying that you can't arbitrarily draw a line beyond your playstyles and label people without deeper insight. Just because you or other people can't handle video games, that doesn't mean anyone that plays the same amount of time as a loser that left his family will be equally as destructive. For one person, they can be depressed because they spend 10 hours a day and lost all their friends. Another person could be happy as a clam alone in his room with his hotpockets. People have different needs and different lives, you don't need to like the lives they chose but you should definitely not defame people because they don't want what you want out of life.

snow summarized it perfectly, there's nothing left to say.

Holy shit I can't believe you two manginas are still arguing over this. It's literally like watching two amputees beating each other with their stumps.

- Guy plays WoW too mch.
- Guy realizes 1 year later WoW was stealing his life.
- Guy leaves WoW and starts to live his life.
- Guy's friend writes the story in his blog.

What is there to argue about? Seriously what it is?!? WoW is not some evil demon hellbent on stealing your children and punching you in the vag. And on the other hand people have to show responsibility and restraint in the activities they do because over-indulgence of any kind is unhealthy.

So SFTU already...

People have different needs and different lives, you don't need to like the lives they chose but you should definitely not defame people because they don't want what you want out of life.

so if someone thinks that murder makes them happy, do i not have the right to "defame" them?

or if someone thinks that drinking on the job makes them happy, do i not have the right to "defame" them?

or if someone thinks that eating all the time and being obese makes them happy, do i not have the right to defame them?

or how about if someone thinks that driving really fast on public roads and street racing makes them "happy" do i not have the right to defame them?

or how about if someone smokes 3 packs a day, if that makes them happy do i not have the right to "defame" them?

or how about if someone thinks that sitting in their room for 8 hours playing a videogame makes them happy do i not have the right to defame them?

it's the same as everyone else.

i'm gonna call the murderer a psycho piece of shit bastard that deserves to die.

i'm gonna say that the person who drinks on the job should be fired and is a low life piece of shit.

i'm gonna say that the person that loves to eat should go on a fucking diet because they're fat.

i'm gonna say that i hope the person who street races all the times totales his fucking car and dies in the accident.

i'm gonna say that the smoker who smokes 3 packs a day is a dumbass commiting slow suicide

and yes, i'm going to say, *GASP*, that the loser who plays WoW in his room all day needs to go outside and get a fucking life.

and then im gonna move on, and not think about any of it anymore.

Last edited:
so if someone thinks that murder makes them happy, do i not have the right to "defame" them?

or if someone thinks that drinking on the job makes them happy, do i not have the right to "defame" them?

or if someone thinks that eating all the time and being obese makes them happy, do i not have the right to defame them?

or how about if someone thinks that driving really fast on public roads and street racing makes them "happy" do i not have the right to defame them?

or how about if someone smokes 3 packs a day, if that makes them happy do i not have the right to "defame" them?

or how about if someone thinks that sitting in their room for 8 hours playing a videogame makes them happy do i not have the right to defame them?

it's the same as everyone else.

i'm gonna call the murderer a psycho piece of shit bastard that deserves to die.

i'm gonna say that the person who drinks on the job should be fired and is a low life piece of shit.

i'm gonna say that the person that loves to eat should go on a fucking diet because they're fat.

i'm gonna say that i hope the person who street races all the times totales his fucking car and dies in the accident.

i'm gonna say that the smoker who smokes 3 packs a day is a dumbass commiting slow suicide

and yes, i'm going to say, *GASP*, that the loser who plays WoW in his room all day needs to go outside and get a fucking life.

and then im gonna move on, and not think about any of it anymore.
youre assuming people care what you think, which they dont

argue.jpg

I'm pretty sure that every game on the market has the goal of making you play it a lot, no matter what genre.

no, that is not the goal of every game. there is an incentive for blizzard to keep you playing while other genres do not intentionally try to keep u playing. i think it might be a bit socially irresponsible for blizzard to design a game in such a way that it promotes spending a gross amount of time to do anything worthwhile in the game. they are in the business of making money but at the same time, their customers are mostly younger people who for the most part are in school and don't really have time for bwl raids. they preying on people who have the least amount of control over themselves with the least amount of time to spare.

i am one of those people that burned out playing WoW. i'll also admit that it affected my grades and that i missed out on social occasions. and whenever i did hang out with people, i always thought about WoW and looked forward to the next time i would get a chance to play. I hated that so much.

the addiction in WoW is different from any other game i played. it is similar to tribes, but different than offline stuff like chrono trigger or whatever. with console rpg's, i enjoy myself most of the time i play and just stop when i get bored. with tribes, it is fun for the most part, but i also get angry at playing crappily and play until i am satisfied or burned out.

with WoW, i can safely say that for 80% of the time im playing, im not enjoying myself :p. i mean, wiping endlessly to learn new raid bosses, grinding endlessly to get highwarlord, etc. and what is the reward for all the hours spent doing that stuff? purples, woohoo. when i finally got rank 14, the most rewarding thing was to have my life back, not the flamy staff i got. and all those mobs and crap before fighting a boss, can u guys honestly say that clearing mob is fun? compare the time vs reward factor between chrono trigger and WoW, the difference is amazing, and i can honestly say that i had more fun playing chrono trigger than WoW. i also look back fondly at playing chrono trigger and not so much with WoW.

now, after ive been "clean" :p for about a month or so, i dont even think about playing WoW anymore, and instead, i look forward to seeing friends, working out, and being productive. quitting WoW worked out great for me, and i have no regrets at all.

however, for those people who genuinely enjoy the game and can have a balanced enriching life while doing so, thats awesome for them. but for those who have are remotely considering quitting wow for any reason, i encourage you do it, you wont soon regret it.

Only you jizz-moppers would even attempt to turn this into some kind fo argument. Seriously some of you must live lives that are a never-ending barrage of nothing-fights.

no, that is not the goal of every game. there is an incentive for blizzard to keep you playing while other genres do not intentionally try to keep u playing. i think it might be a bit socially irresponsible for blizzard to design a game in such a way that it promotes spending a gross amount of time to do anything worthwhile in the game. they are in the business of making money but at the same time, their customers are mostly younger people who for the most part are in school and don't really have time for bwl raids. they preying on people who have the least amount of control over themselves with the least amount of time to spare.

i am one of those people that burned out playing WoW. i'll also admit that it affected my grades and that i missed out on social occasions. and whenever i did hang out with people, i always thought about WoW and looked forward to the next time i would get a chance to play. I hated that so much.

the addiction in WoW is different from any other game i played. it is similar to tribes, but different than offline stuff like chrono trigger or whatever. with console rpg's, i enjoy myself most of the time i play and just stop when i get bored. with tribes, it is fun for the most part, but i also get angry at playing crappily and play until i am satisfied or burned out.

with WoW, i can safely say that for 80% of the time im playing, im not enjoying myself :p. i mean, wiping endlessly to learn new raid bosses, grinding endlessly to get highwarlord, etc. and what is the reward for all the hours spent doing that stuff? purples, woohoo. when i finally got rank 14, the most rewarding thing was to have my life back, not the flamy staff i got. and all those mobs and crap before fighting a boss, can u guys honestly say that clearing mob is fun? compare the time vs reward factor between chrono trigger and WoW, the difference is amazing, and i can honestly say that i had more fun playing chrono trigger than WoW. i also look back fondly at playing chrono trigger and not so much with WoW.

now, after ive been "clean" :p for about a month or so, i dont even think about playing WoW anymore, and instead, i look forward to seeing friends, working out, and being productive. quitting WoW worked out great for me, and i have no regrets at all.

however, for those people who genuinely enjoy the game and can have a balanced enriching life while doing so, thats awesome for them. but for those who have are remotely considering quitting wow for any reason, i encourage you do it, you wont soon regret it.

qft

It's not my fault! It's Blizzard's!

duh, it was tough for me to control my play time and that was my fault. but dont deny that the game itself is mainly designed for long hours of playing and habitually doing so. in that way, blizzard is responsible for encouraging people to keep playing.

im human and i have bad habits :), and i am sympathetic to those who have been in or are in the same situation as me.

no, that is not the goal of every game. there is an incentive for blizzard to keep you playing while other genres do not intentionally try to keep u playing.
I stopped reading right there.

While i'll certainly concede that not EVERY single game tries to get you to keep playing, to say that there are genres that do not intentionally try to keep you playing is completely absurd. RPG's try to make non-linear storylines to encourage replay value, sports games have all moved to dynasty/career playmodes nm a sequel every year, the sims has 45 sequels, online fps are still played by hundreds of thousands at all hours, some are over 10 years old ffs. Ask Valve how terrible it was for them to have the most played online fps when HL2 hit shelves... man having people still playing must have really painted that balance sheet red!

Games release expansion packs, patches and most importantly, sequels. The pay-to-play movement has certainly changed the extent of which companies try to keep you playing, but to say that game genres don't intentionally try to get to you play as much as you can is completely absurd. Just because mmo's host their own servers and are constantly trying to update the software doesn't force people to keep playing. If you don't enjoy the game and keep playing then its a malfunction on your part, not the developer's.

MMOs may try to keep you playing the most out of all the genres, but make no mistake the other genres want you playing too.

Back