Home theater thread

Do you mean like an actual theater room or just a basic speaker set up?

tbh it's probly something absurdly low like $500 (buy used leet gear from a dead old dood's ungrateful spawn)

u always lose ur bang4buck at the elite tail of the distribution

Ya I'd say 2k ceiling unless you're an audiophile. Honestly you can probably make do with a $200 sound bar.

5.1 systems are dumb tbh

Id spend most on a good reciever/pre amp and do 2.1 speaker setup

Probably 2 to 3k for newb setup

You could spend a shitton audio its crazy moneypit

5.1 systems are dumb tbh

Probably 2 to 3k for newb setup

You could spend a shitton audio its crazy moneypit

my 2.0 is a few rokit 5s hooked up to a mixer, nothing special

I have a few micca mb42xs in storage too

it sounds good enough to me where I couldn't see spending more

I bought a Vizio sound bar and surround set up for like 250 ish. Sub connects to the rear speakers and power - connects to sound bar wirelessly. Has Bluetooth for streaming from my phone. Not a bad set up.

It’s loud enough that my wife never lets me listen to it very loud.

heard good things about the hw-n950

buy speakers from companies that make speakers. a soundbar will never have the fidelity of separate, properly positioned speakers

5.1 systems are dumb tbh

if you don't want to deal with setting up surrounds, for the love of god at least do 3.1. my setup was done mostly for movies, if you're just watching tv then 2.1 might be fine

Full blown Atmos etc. Movie seating, lighting, equipment, bar, popcorn maker - you could easily go 50k+

I just looked into all this recently again and got a sound bar. It's pretty lame, I got one cause it's simple in the end. I don't want wires all over the place and speakers everywhere. Got a big old Yamaha system but don't use it anymore. What I found best a couple years ago was running input into digital sound card on PC, and using 5.1 PC speaker system with extension cables for the speakers. The PC option sounded shit-loads better than the huge old Yamaha expensive HIFI system. Great job for a spare PC.

fuck fidelity i want some cerwin vegas. i think i only see them stocked at best buy and i don't shop there

Wharfedale have just released a new budget home theatre system, the D300.

Wharfedale announces its new D300 series of loudspeakers - Samma3a Tech

SlCbKar.jpg

Wharfedale speakers are so nice, not sure when these get released (v soon) and there are no reviews as yet but for around $1K for a 5 speaker set I'm sure they'll be awesome. May need to add a sub in there for ass pounding sound

Last edited:
Back in 93-94, I used to sell home theater systems. :lol:

A lot has changed since then, including our ears but as some have already said, the most important purchase are the amps then the speakers. If you can get mono-block amps, get those. At the very least, make sure your amp and receiver are separate.

One of my younger brothers just built his own speakers and amps and then bought a good receiver. Speaker Kits in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 286 . Built his home theater system and his computer speaker system. He said it was a lot of fun and they sound fricken great.

I just bought a new TV and have been looking into getting a surround system. I rarely watch TV or movies (I hate hollywood) but I do enjoy playing video games and i might as well have good sound to go with the game.

Back