My list of questions so Im better at this game.

boston

Veteran XV
Ok, ive looked around a bit for information and what I find is either confusing or just the tooltip.

Expertise: I want to pvp and this shit seems important. However, I cant tell how important since I dont see it on the pvp gear. Im guessing maybe you add it with an augmentation for your armor? Also, is it the end all be all stat for pvp or is it an enhancer for your pve stats? I dont want to craft some super stupid awesome high D armor to find out it does nothing in pvp cause I dont have this strange 20% expertise bonus i was reading about.

Surge, Power, and a few other very vague terms: WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IS THIS SHIT? I see nothing talking about it. I know what alacrity rating means, I know what crit ratings mean, but what the hell is a surge? oooh i have +20 surge... what does it do?

And finally, am I dumb for trying to make a stealther tank who can backstab and stun the shit out of you? I really liked the theorycraft of the Jedi Shadow, but I am having second thoughts on if it will actually work. Project seems great and with the right talents I can make it pretty beefy, but I dont like the long animation that seems to lock me out of other attacks. Ive been thinking of making a Guardian instead... any thoughts?

Please help me Im lost and your my only hopes.

It's only been out for 2 weeks. The next 6 months are going to include patches that completely redesign talents, stats and playstyles. I don't see much of a point trying to pick a best class or best spec so early in the game.

Just play and try to figure it out as you go. Like Fool said, lots of changes are probably going to happen in the near future.

im not trying to beat the game. just want something that will work and not be too much of a jack of all trades that i end up worthless.

1.) Expertise =/= Resilience (sp?) in WoW if you played, it reduces you damage taken in PvP, increases damage dealt in PvP, and Healing Done/Received in PvP. Expertise doesn't work outside of BG's and/or preset PvP Areas around the world.

2.) Power is what Pessi said, it just adds a flat modifier to your basic attacks/special attacks.

3.) Surge is also what Pessi said. You crit for xxy, then your surge rating takes a % of that crit and adds it to the top (free damage).

4.) Alacrity is CHANNEL haste only. So any move that has a channel will be affected by Alacrity. The GCD is NOT affected by Alacrity.

As far as your other stuff, roll whatever you have fun with. If you go through swtor.com and read through some of the DEV postings, they said they intentionally didn't make one spec/class/role more valuable at doing a certain "thing" that any other to promote class diversity. So *shrug*

MOAR QUESTIONS!

What are you guys doing with your commendations? Some of the items are crap, I usually dont have enough orange items to need a ton of mods, and I end up just gearing up my companions who I only use for the 2 big fights per story quest.

MOAR QUESTIONS!

What are you guys doing with your commendations? Some of the items are crap, I usually dont have enough orange items to need a ton of mods, and I end up just gearing up my companions who I only use for the 2 big fights per story quest.

Later on you'll have orange items for most slots, and buying mods is the best route.

crafting is like daoc, with proc chances to make good items. i havent seen any world pvp since im only lvl 24 so i cant tell you much about that. i didnt like warhammer, but im enjoying this. i dont know that the pvp will be as good as daoc though. some of the mechanics seem like they could make for some really interesting fights once everyone is 50.

i just dont know that there is anything out in the open world that will cause people to go out and fight.

I changed from a Jedi Shadow to a Jedi Sentinel (Knight) because it seemed to me that Consulars in general were considered the "Healer" class. I really wanted to be able to do a shit ton of damage from up close and from range. I went with Jedi Knight cause they have that awesome force leap that is good from 30m away. Unfortunately he doesn't have any other ranged attacks yet that are further than 10m - so it's all mostly melee.

I probably really want to play as some kind of gunner guy for ranged damage - but shit did I want a light saber.

As for the other questions - other people already answered that and I don't know anyway. This is really sorta my first MMO aside from City of Heroes beta testing.

You can hover over a stat in the character pane to get all the parts of the formula. Just look for any stats you're confused about...

<edited out bad advice>

Last edited:
You can hover over a stat in the character pane to get all the parts of the formula. Just look for any stats you're confused about...
My approach has been to get commendations unless given a blue box. Then at the end of the planet, I get blue+ gear with the commendations and if there isn't anything to buy, I get the BLUE boxes and hope for the best.
Mods and enhancements and stuff are end-game. Don't even worry about them until you're 50. Waste of time.

retarded. Its way easier to level if you just use the free commendations to mod orange gear.

My approach has been to get commendations unless given a blue box. Then at the end of the planet, I get blue+ gear with the commendations and if there isn't anything to buy, I get the BLUE boxes and hope for the best.
Mods and enhancements and stuff are end-game. Don't even worry about them until you're 50. Waste of time.

This is the worst advice I've seen given on this game...ever.

Get yourself several orange pieces and keep them up to date with the quest/commendation mods (with the stats you care about) and you'll be geared better than anything you could get from quest rewards or even the commendation equipment merchant.

Every piece I have except my focus and belt are orange. I haven't replaced some of them in 15 levels (I'm 42 now). Only time I buy commendation gear is if it has a look I like or an out of control awesome mod I want to rip out of it.

I crafted several purple items to update my orange items. It took a while.

By the time I craft the purple items, I can just get the blue or green 2 levels higher item.

I wasn't getting enough oranges to be able to employ that strategy... maybe I just need a better set of crafting friends?

Commendations can also be used to purchase orange gear. I generally looked for orange items in slots I didn't currently have orange items, did the same for my companion, then went to mods. On several of the early planets I purchased the epic (purple) box since I had outleveled the commendation rewards by the time I finished. They are a crapshoot since you aren't guaranteed a useable item, but I did snag several very nice earpieces for myself and various pieces for my companion. Those I couldn't use sold for a decent price on the GTN.

I wasn't getting enough oranges to be able to employ that strategy... maybe I just need a better set of crafting friends?

You only need to get one for each slot. Bracers is the hardest to find, the others you should have seen at least one by level 20 or so.

Back