College Audition

could you knock out some gen ed at a community college for a year while while working on your deficiencies and give it another go next time?

Sorry you didn't get in dude. There *are* other colleges out there, you know.

And I can relate about the institutional Catholic upbringing frowning upon the arts. I got the same thing myself - and wound up passionate about music, uneducated about it, playing anyway, and stuck in an IT career. You're 20, so you still have options. Don't be afraid to do something drastic, like move to whatever city you want to live in and make your way.

Start out at community college. Some have pretty decent music programs that open doors to universities. My college is basically a satellite campus of the state university and if I decide to major in music (not sure yet) I can basically transfer over after my associates. Suppose I get my bachelors at the U, I might think of applying to Julliard.

It's very, very hard to go to a big name music school at your age. It doesnt mean it's the end of the road if you dont make it. Start small and work your way up.

Sorry that you did not get in.
But one person saying, 'no,' is nothing.

In music - a lot of people will say, "FUCK NO." Get used to it.
That said...

You have the right attitude and idea - talk to the prof - ask when you can re-audition...and really fucking bug him to get another shot.

If he says it's a fundamental, "You just plain suck," then work your ass off, find a good teacher and fix it.
Very doable.

If he's just allowing another person in on a coin toss, IE, "You were great but so were X, Y & Z," then bug the living shit out of him to get another audition. Show 'em how badly you want this.

Do you have any clips?

See I can't exactly start out at a community college since I'm about to finish my third semester at UCF. I'm basically done with my GenEd required courses.

I don't want to be a Junior in college and start my first music classes.

I guess I could pick up a minor. Or at this rate I could probally double major.

No clips.

Go back for another try out.
Camp out in front of his house.

When I was 16 I had to go to college; the alternative was being tossed from high school.
I showed at registration early with my mother (shut up, I couldn't drive myself).
Being a non matriculated add-on, by the time I got to the head of the sign up line, every single, I mean every fucking class I could take in music was full..."Sorry."

My mother grabbed the first guy she found, told him my story and asked him to get me into one class, anything in music.
Turns out, it was the dean of the college.
Needless to say, I got in.

Don't look for tier two until you have fucked the shit out of tier one.

Berklee?
Tried them?
C'mon...there are a lot of good schools to be had and if you are any good, and you know in your heart if you are or not, do not quit until you get what you want.

[/End life lesson]

Thanks for the encouragement.

As soon as I get back to campus I plan on meeting with the Professors that judged me and explaining my deep passion and unfortunately desperation. I will ask them to "strongly re-consider" my placement if a spot opens up anywhere.

I don't want to show weakness by "begging for a spot", or act like some self-righteous kid that wants everything giving to them.

I want to earn this. And I felt that I explained to them where I was coming from and my aspirations.

This is just a side note. UCF as a whole is growing. Next Fall a brand new Music Complex will be completed; expanded on instruments and class/practice rooms.

I have daydreamed to much just to give it all up.

No harm in taking some music classes at a community college on the side if you cant make it into the university program. They're cheap as hell and give you a stepping stone. If you're as passionate as you sound, dont let the fact that you may have to take a step backward to go forward stop you.

You're young anyway. You've got your whole life to go to school for music. I'm 21, a few of my friends are graduating from the university with their bachelor degrees, and I'm still trying to figure out wtf I want to major in and do with my life besides play drums for a living. Maybe I never will, and until I decide I'm just trying out anything I can as far as work and classes go. I'm not in any rush to graduate with my masters in composition from Julliard. One step at a time.

Thanks for the encouragement.

As soon as I get back to campus I plan on meeting with the Professors that judged me and explaining my deep passion and unfortunately desperation. I will ask them to "strongly re-consider" my placement if a spot opens up anywhere.

I don't want to show weakness by "begging for a spot", or act like some self-righteous kid that wants everything giving to them.

I want to earn this. And I felt that I explained to them where I was coming from and my aspirations.

This is just a side note. UCF as a whole is growing. Next Fall a brand new Music Complex will be completed; expanded on instruments and class/practice rooms.

I have daydreamed to much just to give it all up.

Cool.
Only point I'll argue - it is not showing weakness when you pursue your passion.
It is how you get to be Bruce Springsteen.
;)
After you graduate, you will not feel that you showed any weakness by begging, or screaming or pulling your hair out.
And obviously you can maintain decorum when you plead your case.

"IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT ME I WILL GO COLUMBINE ON YOUR ASS!"
:)

Back