TW Gun bros, step in here

Good luck finding one that isn't dogshit or grossly overpriced. We are happy with our Ruger American .45 Compact and my buddy enjoys his 9mm version.

If you want a 9mm carbine, you can get the Ruger PC Carbine, or an AR carbine chambered for 9mm.

AR carbine chambered for 9mm.

CMMG has an awesome roller-delayed 9mm. I'd forgotten about them. I built my own AR9 on Angstadt receivers when times were better. Fun little project. It'd be nearly impossible now.

I've been looking at the CMP. Takes about a month to get one, but they appear to be very nice rifles and sell for about $400+ what they cost from the CMP right out of the box

M1s are awesome collector's items, but just note that they can't handle modern 30.06 ammunition. Too much pressure. You would need to either learn to hand load your own, find someone who does, or commercial ammo specifically for the M1.

Or so I've been told.

You will also need to join a local shooting organization to qualify for the CMP program.

Interesting, never heard that about the ammunition before. I am in France and getting one legally is almost impossible.

Any of your older military style firearms can't handle modern gun powder loads. Pistols are ok, generally, since the amounts of pressure they create isn't significant enough to cause issues relative to heavy caliber rifles.

M1s are awesome collector's items, but just note that they can't handle modern 30.06 ammunition. Too much pressure. You would need to either learn to hand load your own, find someone who does, or commercial ammo specifically for the M1.

Or so I've been told.

You will also need to join a local shooting organization to qualify for the CMP program.

you apparently don't need to join a shooting organization, thats what i thought as well. Around here that means you need to join one of a small group of specific ranges associated with the CMP and they generally gig the shit out of you on fees.

I watched a couple videos about the process and a few of the guys joined an M1 collectors club, which apparently satisfies the requirements for purchase and only costs $25/yr

you apparently don't need to join a shooting organization, thats what i thought as well. Around here that means you need to join one of a small group of specific ranges associated with the CMP and they generally gig the shit out of you on fees.

I watched a couple videos about the process and a few of the guys joined an M1 collectors club, which apparently satisfies the requirements for purchase and only costs $25/yr

Join, get paperwork done, then quit. Shrug. It's just a formality anymore. This country USED to care about such useful skills like marksmanship, but gun oil doesn't go with skinny jeans.

There's hardly any point joining a shooting club right now with the ammo shortage. Unless you're good/famous enough to get sponsored... :rolleyes:

Join, get paperwork done, then quit. Shrug. It's just a formality anymore. This country USED to care about such useful skills like marksmanship, but gun oil doesn't go with skinny jeans.

hs-rifle-club.jpg

When toting guns in high school was cool

My HS had an indoor shooting range. It hadn't been used "officially" in a long time. Some of the ROTC instructors would use it on weekends. I'm sure that's been squashed.

There's hardly any point joining a shooting club right now with the ammo shortage. Unless you're good/famous enough to get sponsored... :rolleyes:

the ammo shortage is relatively recent. Nobody joined shooting clubs before. Lots of people go to ranges around here, mostly indoor

I did the CMP route back in 2013 and got myself a pretty M1 for $500. I bought the 'rack grade' and it is in PRISTINE condition. It is a 1954 and I guess it sat in a box because the wood is brand new and no barrel ware.

HpUXzWb.jpg

It isnt that big of a hassle. You have to prove you are a US citizen (copy of birth cert.), prove you are an active shooter (a concealed carry permit counts, tournament/competition results, and a few other options I cant remember), and be part of the shooter community (Their website has a list by state of accepted clubs/organizations. I found a local NRA style subscription club ($29.99 for a year) that was on the list and joined. I was able to use the receipt email as my proof and did not have to wait for my club card to arrive in snail mail. You have to notarize the form than mail it all in with a $500 check. A month-ish or so later (their wait times vary) Fedex with come to your door with a rifle (signature required of course). I could not be any happier with mine and definitely recommend it if you are interested. I saw a trashed one at a local Cableas they were selling for $1500. It is worth the 'hassle'.

Last edited:
Back