Relaunching Onyxia's lair

Ickz

Veteran XX
Posting before the morons go "rofl omgomg blizz is reusing content so lazy lololol". I think it's a neat idea since Ony was pretty cool for PvE back in the day; wouldn't mind if they did that for some of the other classic content. Oh, and for the tards, even WoW's re-used content is better than all the other mmos' original content, so stfu.

She has lurked in her lair and done battle with the many brave adventurers who travelled to that familiar location over the years. Now, in honor of the World of Warcraft 5-year anniversary, the dreaded brood mother Onyxia is being revamped to make a return to the forefront of Azeroth, as part of our big plans for the upcoming 3.2.2 content patch.

This permanent update to Onyxia will convert the dungeon into 10- and 25-player modes. We will be adding new items to Onyxia’s loot table that have the same model as some of the classic loot from this dungeon, like Tier 2 helms, with stats updated to match the current level of content. There will be a special new item too: a normal drake-sized 310% speed flying mount modeled after Onyxia herself called an Onyxia Broodling. We will also be updating the encounter mechanics to be more fitting for modern raiding, but we can guarantee players will get to experience the frightening horror of deep breaths once again.

Then for a limited time, after the 5-year anniversary event officially begins in November, anybody who logs in will receive an Onyxia Brood Whelpling pet.

We’re very excited to bring this classic encounter back to provide a fun new experience for both new and veteran players. Further details will be available in the near future, and we will be setting up the Public Test Realms soon to help test out this fight along with all the new content we have planned for the patch. Keep an eye on the forums for updates!

even WoW's re-used content is better than all the other mmos' original content, so stfu.
No, not always.

But I love this idea, I love that fight and I'd rather do that than some gimmick fuckfest jousting while driving a siege tank and a dragon encounter.

That's why the "we'll change it to reflect modern raiding" scares me. I can just see a siege engine tanking ony while alexstrasza's drakes stack dots on her.

Obviously changing the mechanics a bit is a good thing...we don't want it to be too easy and a few curveballs would be neat, but I just hope they don't find some excuse to gimmick it up...

A little nostalgia for players who think the game was better when Ony was relevant can't hurt in the slightest, IMO.

Hell I'd love to see them take this farther...sure they're going to catch a bunch of shit from the whiny bitches who will cry about recycling content but I would have a fucking blast doing heroic deadmines or an updated BWL or AQ40, so long as it wasn't as easy as Naxx turned out.

Hell, even if naxx turned out really lame I'm still glad they did it because I never got to see those fights...more power to them.

Last edited:
"recycling" term is thrown around a lot.

I would prefer completely new content, but doing this old fight with new skill rotations and skills and talents does make it a different (while still similar) experience.

Bitch couldn't take down the humans of SW how hard can she be a second time?

Spoiler

Last edited:
"recycling" term is thrown around a lot.

I would prefer completely new content, but doing this old fight with new skill rotations and skills and talents does make it a different (while still similar) experience.
In all fairness, we just did have a new content patch and this small patch with ony is designed as an event for the 5 year anniversary coming up in November.

I wonder what the timetable is looking like for the new content though. Is there going to be another raid in between ToC and IC? Or is it going to be Onyxia update and then IC in 3.3?

If IC is next, I guess we've got a long way to go still for the next new content, assuming Ony comes out in November...

I have a feeling Blizz is going to pull off some pretty cool shit with IC, but that's wishful thinking. As long as there's no fucking gimmick shit in the vein of Malygos or FL or Jousting, I'll probably be satisfied. I also hope there's a big opening event like AQ...

I did to Onyxia back in Classic on my hunter, it was a fun fight.

Man I hated that fight (as a rogue) sitting there auto attack all of p1 because of the stupid threat mechanics, and being completely useless all of air phase.

Yeah lol "HAY GUYS YOU HAVE TO WAND SO THE TANK CAN GET AGGRO PLZ, AND OMG YOU HAVE TO HAVE AT LEAST 9 DOTS SO SHE DOESN'T DEEP BREATH GUYZ OMFG WTF R U DOIN?"

Not fun at all.

But it has been my dream for a while ot have Onyxia as a mount. (I don't mean sexually)

Ony's attunement was fucking ridiculous. Simply getting keyed to go in was epic (esp for alliance).

get ready guys, remember your strats:

(cmon it never gets old)

Ony's attunement was fucking ridiculous. Simply getting keyed to go in was epic (esp for alliance).
It was like 2-3x easier for alliance. Horde had to kill those retarded world dragons in ever goddamn corner of the game. As well as do UBRS a bunch.

Alliance had to what, do BRD? Ooooh no.

I think 6-man Ony was my favorite lvl 60 content. Took like an hour, everyone was flasked/pot'd to hell. And you could find 5 other competent people who could raid for an hour without fucking the goat. Then you all got 30 gold and a scale and some purple junk/bag.

If you think rogues were useless on that fight you were a bad rogue. Her threat drop mechanic was % based, so the longer phase 1 went on the harder it was for the tank to hold aggro.

Phase 2 you could still SS/BS. Plus there were whelps. In 6 man you spend a lot of time killing f-ing whelps. It is actually by far the hardest part.

We did this when I was in t2/2.5 gear.

Oh you did not go there... Babysitting Windsor in BRD was NOTHING compared to Horde attunement. The very first part of the phase you had to do UBRS to get black dragonscales (back before it was a rare drop off non-BRS mobs). And once you did that you had to go around to nearly four corners of the classic world with a geared group and four elite dragons who were almost on par with 5-man dungeon bosses.

Compared to that Windsor was easy, especially if you took the time to clear out the prison block beforehand.

Back