Game is Dead - Going F2P by Ciceron - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Star Wars: The Old Republic
Reload this Page Game is Dead - Going F2P
Ciceron
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1 - 08-01-2012, 11:32
Star Wars: The Old Republic | Developer Blogs

Quote:
I want to reach out today to share my thoughts on our recent announcement to expand our game to offer a Free-To-Play option this fall. I’d like to give you some insights into why we made this decision, how it benefits you and how enthusiastic our team is about this new direction.

Since launch, our team has spent a lot of time trying to find new ways to be able to bring the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ experience to as many potential players as possible. We quickly became aware that our subscription only model was a major barrier for a lot people who wanted to become part of The Old Republic universe. In fact, many players who have left the game said they would happily come back if they could play without the commitment of a monthly fee.

We feel that flexibility and choice in playing our game is important for all current and future players. For that reason, we began the exploration of expanding the game to include a Free-to-Play option.

Starting this Fall, there will be two ways to enjoy the game. First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. Second, you have the option to play free to Level 50, with game play restrictions that limit game options and access to certain game content. Our goal is to ensure that our current players continue to receive the AAA content they are used to and enjoy the new rewards. To that end, I am proud to say that we have a lot of great new content coming your way, and that it will be coming more frequently. We have a great lineup in development including: a new Operation, Terror From Beyond, a new heroic mission series on the planet of Belsavis; a set of level 50 space combat missions for those looking for the ultimate challenge mode; introduction of a dangerous new Companion to accompany you; and for our PvP fans, a new warzone, Ancient Hypergate!

Starting today, you’ll be earning rewards as part of our new rewards program, making your current subscription more valuable than ever. Current and lapsed subscribers will earn 150 Cartel Coins for every paid month prior to today (July 31, 2012) and then 200 Cartel points from August 1st until the Free-to-Play option launches. For those who purchased the Collector’s Edition, we have an additional bonus reward of 1000 Cartel Coins for you. With Cartel Coins you can purchase convenience items, boosts, visually unique gear, collectibles, and more. The new Cartel Market gives you the option to add to your game play experience with items that fit your play style and allow you to customize your character.

Our team is extremely excited about this new plan. We are working hard and having a lot of fun preparing new content and items for the game. We believe that this is the right direction for our game – more choices, more options and more ways to customize your play experience to suit your play-style. We want to be able to keep our fans excited, engaged and having fun every time you login. We look forward to hearing your thoughts, suggestions and feedback.

Thanks for your support over the last seven months. We have the best fans in the business!

May the Force be With You.

Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer – Star Wars™: The Old Republic™

Sponsored Links
nccknight
VeteranX
Old
2 - 08-01-2012, 12:39
Is the story/non-free stuff worth it to play as a free kotor III?

PessimiStick
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 08-01-2012, 13:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccknight View Post
Is the story/non-free stuff worth it to play as a free kotor III?
it's worth playing through once for the story if you like bioware rpgs.

epidemic
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 08-01-2012, 15:37
lol this **** is nuts

ill try it prolly

Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
5 - 08-01-2012, 19:13
Yeah, the free play option wont let you raid, do most pvp, be much of an auction mule, etc.

... but you can do 1-50 in all 8 classes, then pay if you decide you love it enough to start raiding or pvping. I'm on the fence, this might be the dumbest **** anyone's ever tried and put a stake through the heart of subscription renewal. If it works, awesome I guess, more muppets to buy my **** on the AH

Brontez
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
6 - 08-01-2012, 23:48
I miss the game. I still have my subscription going but haven't logged on in 4 months because DayZ currently owns me.

However once that game is suficiently ****ed up I'll be returning to TOR.

Oxyminoan
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 08-03-2012, 02:18
I forgot Hickman was an Executive Producer on this. He's one of the producers responsible for ****ing up Warhammer too.

A regular Dave G of the MMO producing world.

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 08-11-2012, 03:28
I am downloading the game right now. I figured I'll give it a try. Is it really that dead?

Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
9 - 08-11-2012, 10:29
nope, its pretty booming right now actually, after they condensed the server populations - before they did the mass server transfers, it *felt* super dead, but now its way different.

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 08-12-2012, 12:10
I don't see this move to f2p as "the game is dead, may as well". It's more of an attempt to retain the current player population. GW2 and MOP are essentially two big things in the genre and both happen in September (ok, GW2 is a few days before). F2P is BioWare's only offer to the community to keep people around.

IMO, the leveling from 1-50 was the only enjoyable part about the game. BGs and raids were rather poorly done.

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 08-16-2012, 03:16
I guess I should have paid attention to which server everybody was on before I got all involved in the game; I have a level 20 Sith Inquisitor on the Corellian Run server. Anyway, from what I've seen so far, the game looks to be pretty busy as long as you ignore the long list of abandoned servers. Anybody who's played Tribes ought to be able to handle that bit.

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 08-16-2012, 14:00
Also, since the other threads are dead, I'd just like to say that the "old time magic" some of you mentioned feeling in EQ/DAoC/etc. is something I never felt when I played those games. The only MMO besides this which gave me the buzz was The Realm in 1996.

The Realm was famous for -- apart from being turn based (which is pretty cool imo) -- having a total server capacity of ~2000 in its prime. So SWTOR is doing better than The Realm, which lasted until at least 2005. Maybe it still exists

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Star Wars: The Old Republic
Reload this Page Game is Dead - Going F2P

Social Website Bullshit