Page 5 of 6
Smurf
VeteranX
Old
81 - 10-28-2008, 19:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
DEPLOYABLE CAMERAS KILLED TRIBES

I actually LOL'd and then quit reading this ****.

Sponsored Links
Al'Muktar
VeteranXX
Old
82 - 10-28-2008, 19:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampancy View Post
(defending a point)

Like, HoF, any indoor flag room, Raindance base, etc.

Are you really that ****ing dumb?
no

its just painfully obvious you never played t1

Wufei
VeteranXX
Old
83 - 10-28-2008, 19:36
goalie, hof, ho, hd

Rampancy
Veteran++
Old
84 - 10-28-2008, 19:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al'Muktar View Post
no

its just painfully obvious you never played t1
k

perro
VeteranXV
Old
85 - 10-28-2008, 20:11
i played t1 since the beginning and while i absolutely love the game, i think the main thing we all remember and loved was the comp. it's pretty obvious to everyone that nothing (not quake, TF2, CS, etc etc etc) will compare to tribes comp in its heyday.

honestly, i think t1 with better graphics would probably fair about as well as tv...

as far as legions is concerned, i think it is a better game physics-wise and i absolutely love playing it. if you think the mental game is somehow dumbed down with regard to dueling and what not, you obviously havent played against good players.

Last edited by perro; 10-28-2008 at 20:14..
Master_01
VeteranXV
Old
86 - 10-28-2008, 20:47
I would say it depends on how much hype it has for marketing. UT keeps getting brought back to life so why not tribes.

KryandArturo
VeteranX
Old
87 - 10-28-2008, 20:55
Sierra intentionally tried to finish off Tribes by giving it to their official game assassin (Irrational Games). IG is very good at what they do (killing game series' by making unbelievably terrible sequels). No one ever did that to UT.

Also, UT is extremely friendly to the casual player, so random people would always be willing to play it for a while. Can't say the same thing for Tribes.

perro
VeteranXV
Old
88 - 10-28-2008, 20:59
exactly...just about anyone who isnt brain dead and isnt stuck with an internet connection from the mid 90's can slowly walk around and shoot hitscan weapons at other people slowly walking around.

Beef Welington
VeteranXV
Old
89 - 10-28-2008, 23:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryandArturo View Post
You're pretty dumb. You actually made a one or two viable points, but your execution was so terrible that it nearly covered them up. I actually like Legions, but people like you actually make me like it a lot less just from all the stupid **** you try to claim about it.

Legions brings back the best parts of Tribes 2 Version2 Spawn CTF (which, there aren't really any). That's about it. It has some of it's own features that make it a lot better than that, but that's as far as it goes with being "Tribes-like".

You've also grouped me in the wrong crowd. I say T2 classic CTF is better than T1, and T2 base is better than T1 for all PvP mods. So, excluding the "competition experience", T2 was the better game.
Legends was pointless.
T:V really was terrible. It was like every other game of it's time: a single-player game. The multi-player was a horribly designed after-thought.
Legions is decent, as I already said. It'll never be as good as Tribes, but it's proven to be enjoyable.

Lastly, I just wanted to touch on the stupidity of this claim: "relives the addictive glory of dueling in T1".
Legions dueling is absolutely retarded. Tribes dueling is mostly about out-witting your opponent. Aim and movement ability both play a much smaller role than smarts. That is absolutely not the case with Legions. Dueling in Legions is about as skillful and interesting as dueling in Ultra-Renegades. Movement is dumbed down by how strong the jets are, and aim is dumbed down by the fact that you can shoot twice per second and the weapons aren't intelligently or interestingly designed. Both of those factors nearly force wit completely out of the equation.
T:V was not a piece of ****. It was honest to goodness fun, and nobody gave it a chance. I'll always feel sorry for T:V, because it deserved so much better. It might have actually gained a following outside of Tribalwar if it hadn't been so ****tily marketed and released at the same time as Halo 2 (was it halo 2? I'm kinda pulling that out of my ass but I know it was some huge release)

As for Legions, when I said "addictive glory of dueling in T1" I wasn't talking about minute details such as jet power or fire rate. I was talking about the strategy of conserving jet fuel, placing well-aimed shots, tactics, etc etc etc. I'll admit that Legions isn't perfectly balanced (cluster grenades need serious nerfing), but after playing it for a few hours in the past few days, I'm just saying it brought back a lot of nostalgia.

My point is: Legions isn't Tribes, but Tribes is old and people aren't going to keep playing it forever. Rather than holding your breath for Tribes 1: The Remake, try giving a chance to the slim handful of games that are keeping the entire genre alive.

I don't know about you, but the differences between Legions and Tribes are nonexistant when you're comparing them to the retardedness of games like Gears of War, Halo, Battlefield, CS, CoD, etc. There are only 5 freedom of movement shooters in existence, so if you like the genre why not give them a chance?

If you don't like freedom of movement and just liked tribes because of the rate at which you lose jet energy, or the firing rate of the disclauncher, or because you could replace the standard auto-texts with "******", then by all means stay with tribes. But stop trying to negatively compare one FoM game with another, because you're only hurting the chances of any new ones ever being released.

Buk Naked
VeteranXX
Old
90 - 10-28-2008, 23:57
T2 needed to be T1 with better graphics to keep the franchise on top. That was really all that was needed to stay competitive at the time. Once T2 screwed the pooch it was over for the Tribes franchise.

Every other game (Quake, UT) was getting faster and more offense based. T2 went molasses slow and favored the defense. Thank you Dave G.

Ixiterra
VeteranXV
Old
91 - 10-29-2008, 00:04
I, for one, will take 1998 back please! Good year and man I miss Tribes. Pretty much stopped videogaming seriously when I stopped playing Tribes.

SexPistol
VeteranX
Old
92 - 10-29-2008, 00:29
After reading this thread in its entirety it's pretty obvious that rampancy only watched other people play Tribes1 or just really blew at Arena

the ONLY place a medium was remotely useful was in Arena Under the Hill

and you're just as effective if not more with a shield pack and a light loadout in all situations/maps in arena

other than being a HoF there is no reason anybody ever bought a shield pack

remember we aren't talking about the Vengeance beta here

KryandArturo
VeteranX
Old
93 - 10-29-2008, 06:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Welington View Post
T:V was not a piece of ****. It was honest to goodness fun, and nobody gave it a chance. I'll always feel sorry for T:V, because it deserved so much better. It might have actually gained a following outside of Tribalwar if it hadn't been so ****tily marketed and released at the same time as Halo 2 (was it halo 2? I'm kinda pulling that out of my ass but I know it was some huge release)
Half-Life 2 (and I think there was another popular game at the time as well), and no, T:V was not good. The single player was amusing. The multiplayer was a joke. The engine was terrible. Irrational Games has always been a developer of utter **** games and T:V is another name on the list. A lot of the changes made were good in theory, but the execution was terrible and no attempt was made to make it any better. Overall, that makes for a piece of **** game.

Quote:
As for Legions, when I said "addictive glory of dueling in T1" I wasn't talking about minute details such as jet power or fire rate. I was talking about the strategy of conserving jet fuel, placing well-aimed shots, tactics, etc etc etc. I'll admit that Legions isn't perfectly balanced (cluster grenades need serious nerfing), but after playing it for a few hours in the past few days, I'm just saying it brought back a lot of nostalgia.
Minute details huh. Yeah Ultra-Renegades dueling sure was a blast. Comparing Legions to Ultra-Ren is an exaggeration, but Legions goes in the same direction from Tribes dueling as Ultra-Ren, just not as far. That's the wrong direction. When you change "minute details" like movement ability and weapons, you completely change the level of "strategy" required. In Legions' case, that level is greatly lowered.

Quote:
My point is: Legions isn't Tribes, but Tribes is old and people aren't going to keep playing it forever. Rather than holding your breath for Tribes 1: The Remake, try giving a chance to the slim handful of games that are keeping the entire genre alive.
I'm not holding my breath for anything. I don't care if this genre dies. I'm not married to it like some people are. It was fun while it lasted, but all new games being made in this genre are getting worse than the ones before it. That's how you know when a genre is dead. It's not common that a genre reaches its epitome after only 2 games, but it happened. I have lessened respect for the new games and their developers because they fail to realize that. Maybe it is possible to improve upon the Tribes 1/2 game design, but that's not the direction anyone seems to be going.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but the differences between Legions and Tribes are nonexistant when you're comparing them to the retardedness of games like Gears of War, Halo, Battlefield, CS, CoD, etc. There are only 5 freedom of movement shooters in existence, so if you like the genre why not give them a chance?
So basically you're saying that you're one of the people married to this genre. The most reasonable way to judge a game is by comparing it to other game in its genre. Doing that, we find that Legions is worse than the founding game of the genre (and its immediate sequel). Normally when that happens, people should ignore the new game and keep playing the old one (see StarCraft vs. every RTS after it). It doesn't mean the game sucks, it just means that it went in the wrong direction, and the developer needs to be told that in the only language they understand (sales). However, occasionally, a game gets destroyed by the producer and continuing to play it becomes almost impossible (see: the Tribes series). What we do in that situation is debatable. You could just embrace the new game because it's all you have, which is what Legions players are doing. Or, you can stand firm and go against it, because if you don't, the developer will assume all of their differences from the other games in the genre were good ideas, and they might try to expand upon them. Now, because I am not married to this genre, I can easily do the latter. I'll play Legions now because it's decent and free, but I probably won't buy it unless they undo a whole lot of "changes", or if everyone else I know buys it (I can be swayed by peer pressure), but that probably won't happen.

Quote:
If you don't like freedom of movement and just liked tribes because of the rate at which you lose jet energy, or the firing rate of the disclauncher, or because you could replace the standard auto-texts with "******", then by all means stay with tribes. But stop trying to negatively compare one FoM game with another, because you're only hurting the chances of any new ones ever being released.
It's a good genre, but it's not the only game genre I will ever accept, so I don't have a mental block that keeps me from reasonably and objectively judging its games based on the other games in the genre.

Last edited by KryandArturo; 10-29-2008 at 06:13..
?B-MAN
VeteranX
Old
94 - 10-29-2008, 06:18
Tribes with better graphics would have been cool in 2001. Today Tribes 2 (T2C) with better graphics would be better. Actually a good thing to be said about Legions is that the physics are very similiar to T2C but with some slight little quirks.

Last edited by ?B-MAN; 10-29-2008 at 06:22..
Rampancy
Veteran++
Old
95 - 10-29-2008, 06:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPistol View Post
the ONLY place a medium was remotely useful was in Arena Under the Hill

and you're just as effective if not more with a shield pack and a light loadout in all situations/maps in arena
That's basically an exact summary of my argument.

Reading comprehension ftw, dumb****

perro
VeteranXV
Old
96 - 10-29-2008, 06:57
i happen to think legions is a step in the right direction...

the devs are also very receptive to the suggestions from the community, which is dominated by tribes players. they have gotten a ton of flak for certain choices and have acted on the feedback.

hyung
VeteranXX
Old
97 - 10-29-2008, 07:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimula View Post
Ok..

Tribes is dead and can never be replaced.

It's a psychological thing..
you probably just played in a pickup less than a day ago, how can you say tribes 1 is dead?

why play legions when tribes 1 is still kicking?

perro
VeteranXV
Old
98 - 10-29-2008, 07:11
why play t1 lt with the same ten elitist pricks on the same three maps you mean? i dunno, maybe because it became boring and annoying more than four years ago?

hyung
VeteranXX
Old
99 - 10-29-2008, 07:12
clearly if they don't pick you they are being elitist

perro
VeteranXV
Old
100 - 10-29-2008, 07:18
i never had issues being picked, but i definitely had issues with the rampant elitism and exclusion of anyone who wasnt part of the in crowd. legions pickups are managed much differently and its much more fun. if 16 people show we do an 8v8, if 8 people show, we do a 4v4. people arent arbitrarily excluded. in fact newbies are regularly cycled in to the lineup to grow the talent base within the game, ultimately improving competition and gameplay across the board and keeping the community alive. something the handful of high and mighty self proclaimed lt gods never seemed to understand. sure there are legions players who get annoyed by having less effective teammates, but the rest of us could care less about their emo bs.

Page 5 of 6

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Tribes] So I dont get you guys

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
lol