Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired

lets see, thrax threw a temper tantrum when we took his pic, so you must be thrax

correct?

I still :heart: and Miss the Weasel.

Having you around daily was more then we here at TW could really expect.

So, it was the publisher's fault? I'm guessing marketing was in on whatever happened, too.

One of the worst things to ever happen to the game industry was when publishers started becoming publicly traded companies. Games now have to be out by a certain date, no matter what condition they are in, to balance the books and keep the stock price high.

No developer ever sets out to create a shitty product, and 9 out of 10 know that what they are releasing is shit, but are powerless to do anything about it.

Q: How did Q/A let that crappy box art pass? Thats all the marketing you need!

J/k, just being a shit. I salute you Marweas.

I have no idea where that box came from or who made it. Worst POS I've ever seen. Every single box design submitted by TW was better than that crap.

The box was assigned to a marketing guy who had 30 other things to work on and knew nothing about Tribes. He read a half-page sheet that said Jetpacks! Futuristic Combat! He probably gave that sheet to the art guys, who knew gave him some options without ever playing the game. He probably
picked the first one. Nobody who had anything to do with the packaging knew anything at all about Tribes, and cared nothing for its success. I'm going to guess it was done in a week.

Marweas: do you agree that the computer game industry sucks now

The computer game industry is a bit stagnant, but I think games are better than ever. There has not been much evolution in games, so those of us who play a lot get jaded and bored very quickly, but overall games have become mroe stable and more accessible, with more functionality than ever before.

It's true, games are big money, and that means to make a game you need not just people who know how to make games but also people who know how to make money. Hollywood had to learn this, and so does this industry. Once the technology for stabilizes a bit more, we may see a resurgence in independent, community, and garage games (pun intended).

Edit: :wave: Rated Z!

Edit 2: What you said above about shipping games before they're ready is true, but still wrong. The company that can afford to spend as much time polishing as creating will always win (See Blizzard, BioWare, Valve) and companies that cut corners will always lose (See VUG, Take2, etc.)

Last edited:
Not a smurf. Just being squirrelish. If you don't know who I am, you really don't know as much as you think you do about Tribes.

All i know is you are a meber that knows too much to be a meber.

alice-disney-caterpillar.gif

Edit 2: What you said above about shipping games before they're ready is true, but still wrong. The company that can afford to spend as much time polishing as creating will always win (See Blizzard, BioWare, Valve) and companies that cut corners will always lose (See VUG, Take2, etc.)

Blizzard, BioWare, Valve = not publicly traded (I think)
VUG, Take2, EA = publicly traded

The problem is that all games have to go through marketing to get green-lit. Marketing looks at a game, runs the numbers, projects a profit, and then opens up the calendar and decides which financial quarter the numbers fall best into. That date then has to be hit or you'll see a negative quarterly report, which results in a stock drop, which results in angry execs.

Something to watch carefully now is Valve's relationship with EA. I guarantee you that Valve's future library is already planned out for the length of the publishing agreement, with dates. Will EA force Valve's hand to make their numbers or will they allow a game to slip that needs some TLC because it's a Valve product?

Great thread, brings closure. Add the Marweas responses to the Wikepedia entry and quote this thread. Obviously, the next question would be, if the game is dead, and VUG doesn't care, then why won't they release the source so GG can make T3?

Last edited:
Question:

Did the higher ups ever see the flash made of you? If so, what was their reaction?

The demise of Tribes, and my job, and Thrax's job came about as a result of a completely unrelated power / political struggle. If you really want to hear about that, I'll see what I can remember.

Spill it, bucko. :D

TThe company that can afford to spend as much time polishing as creating will always win (See Blizzard, BioWare, Valve) and companies that cut corners will always lose (See VUG, Take2, etc.)

3D Realms will really be kicking ass once Duke Nukem Forever comes out. They've been polishing that for years.

SecretSquirrel, credited as "Squirrel" in April Fool's Tribes 1 video.

Developed the idea for the mobile point base "MPB" in Tribes 2. Pioneered the idea of alternate MP game types, incuding the "repair, build, time capture" concept of control points in multiplayer games.

My original account was deleated because it used a hotmail email address.

Last edited:
Wow. Proof positive that Tribes devs/managers still lurk on this forum. What a day to have them all come out of the woodworks....marweas, tomin8r, rated z, squirrel...now all we need is some Georgeson love on this thread and our day will be complete.

God, I wish that dude would answer the ten highest-moderated questions on Slashdot about Tribes 2. Not that anyone cares anymore besides us. I think we'd be surprised with some of his answers. The dude is probably not the evil spectre we sometimes make him out to be.

Back