Failure, challenge, and the decline of WoW

Very much so, I always thought that's the way they should have handled it, eliminate completely the bullshit balancing they had to do in order to not make PVE gear/trinkets/procs/specs not melt faces in PVP
Well the problem is that there are millions of PVE nerds that want to see bigger numbers every patch. I'm pretty sure Blizzard could have balanced PVE/PVP by limiting the damage output of players instead of the damage received, but I guaranteed there would be a huge shitstorm of people crying about "lack of character progression" or something. Instead they put the bandaid of resilience/PVP gear and limited incoming damage.

The introduction of dungeon finders (and soon raid finder) have done more to slowly kill the game than resilience though in my opinion. As much as I like them because if I want to run a dungeon I don't have to try forming or joining a group, they've removed almost all accountability and community from the game. If people are terrible they're simply votekicked from a group only to fuck up in the next random they get. You don't get to know anyone from your own server outside trade channel (which I have disabled on all of my toons) or running Baradin Hold. In Vanilla and most of TBC I knew almost everyone that raided in horde guilds on Tichondrius, and 2/3 or more of the people raiding in alliance guilds. Nowadays I know maybe a dozen people outside the group(s) I raid with, but I'll admit I don't play as much now as I did a few years ago and I haven't used IRC since before TBC was released which was where I got to know a lot of people from the opposite faction.
Are you playing on Illidan now?

RDF definitely did hasten the decay of community, but the buckling to casuals had its share. I'm not saying it should be difficuly a la Vanilla where raids had to go on for hours, but they should make players more accountable for knowing their class and role properly. The biggest hit to this I feel was the removal of defense cap for tanks. Before cata you had to work to be crit-immune which was essential for heroics. And while it did take longer to gear for them once you got there is meant you know what you were doing. But when cata rolled around anyone in a tank spec and hit their "tank button" and instantly be crit-immune, completely throwing that little bit out of contention.

Moot point now I suppose, I haven't played in weeks and I intention to unsub soon. With 4.3 ending cata it will technically be the end of all actual warcraft content since WC1. Deathwing is the last of it, so now the plan I suspect is to either recycle old stuff (burning legion part 2!) or completely making up new lore/villains from scratch. And given how poorly they treated the present ones with retconning I'm not too optimistic they will fare better.

I'm still on Tichondrius. I've casually played with some TW people on Onyxia and Gorgonnash for a couple months each time but otherwise I've been on Tichondrius since release.
Heh, just saw somebody named Smaqahoho offline in one of my BH runs and wondered if he was of TW fame.

haha. id play but its a waste of time with only 20 or so consistent people and i dont want to commit even more than i have been by joining some super hardcore guild at this point. i had a lot of fun but yeah...

The introduction of dungeon finders (and soon raid finder) have done more to slowly kill the game than resilience though in my opinion. As much as I like them because if I want to run a dungeon I don't have to try forming or joining a group, they've removed almost all accountability and community from the game. If people are terrible they're simply votekicked from a group only to fuck up in the next random they get. You don't get to know anyone from your own server outside trade channel (which I have disabled on all of my toons) or running Baradin Hold. In Vanilla and most of TBC I knew almost everyone that raided in horde guilds on Tichondrius, and 2/3 or more of the people raiding in alliance guilds. Nowadays I know maybe a dozen people outside the group(s) I raid with, but I'll admit I don't play as much now as I did a few years ago and I haven't used IRC since before TBC was released which was where I got to know a lot of people from the opposite faction.
This is true, at first it wasn't so bad if you had friends to play with. Once your friends stopped playing you weren't making any new ones since there is literally no interaction with anybody. It's too much like a single player game at this point (outside of guild raids). Dungeon experience wouldn't be lessened in any way if the other 4 players were really bots. Dungeon finder was a great idea, it just had unforeseen consequences.

Newer players go through the queues without learning anything. The link to elitistjerks doesn't pop up when you hit 85, and nobody wants to teach someone they will never see again. You could literally teach every shitty player you encounter how to play and there would still be an endless supply. The game isn't hard, certainly not any harder than its been in the past. Server communities used to play a big role in educating other players. People used to have a vested interest, they could group with said people again or have them join their guild/raids whatever.

Dungeon finder/raid finder fail because they don't exclude you for playing poorly or even encourage you to play well. Having a free spot no matter how poorly you play has a consequence, any sense of competition or need for it is lost.

If I play exceptionally well in a dungeon and carry some shitty players we complete it and move on.
If I play exceptionally poorly in a dungeon and someone else carries we complete it and move on.
There is no difference whether I carry or get carried, the outcome is the same. Why try if you don't have to? There are no rewards or consequences for good/bad play. You don't get gear quicker and queue times don't get lower if you gem your gear correctly, pick the right spec, or play at the level of a competent human being. Instead of creating incentives for people to figure out how to play, they keep making it easier so they don't have to.

I now play the game for 2 hours a week, just enough to clear 7/7H FL.

What's funny is I don't know why they catered to the nerd PVE gamers that cried and cried about dungeon , not being able to kill shit, or being able to PvP.

Those are the ones that continually stick around and will take it up the ass for Blizzard. The hardcore ones are the ones that will bail because they actually care about the content, difficulty, and skill involved in a game. If BF3 turned into a huge rocket launcher game where everyone uses one that has a 20 meter splash damage, pretty sure all the good players will leave that too.

Dungeon finder/raid finder fail because they don't exclude you for playing poorly or even encourage you to play well. Having a free spot no matter how poorly you play has a consequence, any sense of competition or need for it is lost.

LFD/LFR needs more work. They either need to code in some kind of player ratings, or fix the kick/drop system to force people not to be total douchebags to each other. If your tank quits after first boss because his loot didn't drop, that should be a massive penalty. They also need to strip the kick protection from retards who get kicked constantly and just requeue over and over, putting the healer on /follow and rolling need on every single drop. Those people don't belong in the game in the first place.

But they won't do anything that drastic because it will mean a loss in subs. So we never get any real fixes, just a bunch of bandaids and "incentives" tied heavily to RNG.

My sub is renewed to the EOM but I haven't been playing for a while ever since everyone left or moved to TC. We had a few regulars still in STK (ahrig, Lasta, XP's alts, etc) but even they have pretty much disappeared so I'm playing BF3 on PS3 and some T:A until SWTOR which will hopefully be where a chunk of stk lands.

LFD/LFR needs more work. They either need to code in some kind of player ratings, or fix the kick/drop system to force people not to be total douchebags to each other. If your tank quits after first boss because his loot didn't drop, that should be a massive penalty. They also need to strip the kick protection from retards who get kicked constantly and just requeue over and over, putting the healer on /follow and rolling need on every single drop. Those people don't belong in the game in the first place.

But they won't do anything that drastic because it will mean a loss in subs. So we never get any real fixes, just a bunch of bandaids and "incentives" tied heavily to RNG.

i never understood the insane obsession with the almighty loot. it was first apparent with diablo where the end game was not to kill some boss, but to acquire loot. when it is the loot that should be the means to kill said boss. same applies to wow today.

Only read summary but the text seemed overly full of itself with it allegories. The core message is probably spot on but the writer takes himself too seriously imo.

regardless wow really is in decline... even market analysts have confirmed it and its beginning to affect activision market share

Back