Failure, challenge, and the decline of WoW

eliminating failure leads to boredom and people will stop playing anyway

problem is game companies cater too much to the american demographic of downy special ed retards

This is so true. Americans have such a strong sense of entitlement these days that it manifests itself in game production and development. Still, if you really want balance, I think it's only truly possible in an FPS. And even that is going the way of the gay, with BF3 bush prone queers.

I don't think it's Blizzard/EA, but the dev team. SC2 is fine right now with MINOR balance tweaks, unlike WoW, with major class changes.

i for one can vouch that the game's sharp turn towards casual friendly happened around when they merged with ATVI despite the company's public announcements that they would not disturb blizzard's creative control

i for one can vouch that the game's sharp turn towards casual friendly happened around when they merged with ATVI despite the company's public announcements that they would not disturb blizzard's creative control

I couldn't agree more. The same thing happened to Ultima Online when they became part of EA.

before the nerfs, 25man heroic firelands was really challenging and the only reason they did nerfs was so a lot more people would have the opportunity to kill heroic rag before 4.3 and the new content. and heroic rag is STILL REALLY HARD. they have easier MODES, like normals and 10man, and more coming in 4.3, but there is still plenty of challenging encounters. this whole argument is bullshit.

if anything, the game feeling "stale" like smaq said and people being burnt out is more of a reason for its decline than "its too easy". and if it really is too easy for you, congratulations, you are in like the top 2%

Last edited:
if anything, the game feeling "stale" like smaq said and people being burnt out is more of a reason for its decline than "its too easy" and if it really is too easy for you, congratulations, you are in like the top 2%

Well said; although I haven't played in several months but that sounds about right.

I just reinstalled because 4.3 or whatever looks kind of cool I suppose and a few real life friends are getting back into it as we all have some free time. And that's just the thing, free time: the games new "casual" approach allows you to see and do a lot more (I think) without having to sacrifice a lot of time (or rather, less time than in the past).

I couldn't agree more. The same thing happened to Ultima Online when they became part of EA.

Yeah they will say stuff like that to try and deceive you into thinking "nothing has changed" but the reality of it is stock dividends will trump the time/energy required to be creative.

It's nothing personal, it is simply business...

People quitting WoW for Star Wars? lol

TOR is a shit game that doesnt come close to offering the kind of content that WoW does. Enjoy your flash points!

Most people, including myself, are just waiting for something better...but the truth is the game is years ahead of any thing simply because they've been able to build on the game and player base over the games life span.

Maybe if TOR had an eight year beta and 10 million people testing it it would be able to compete. TOR is what WoW was in 2005, unfortunately thats all it is, a WoW clone.

That doesn't even matter Pure. Tribes is my favorite game of all time. I'm going to be playing Battlefield 3, and not Tribes, for a reason. It got stale, and so did WoW. Nothing new to explore besides a dungeon they put out every 3 months.

TOR will have new places, new abilities, new graphics, new everything. While it may never be as successful as WoW may be, it's still new, like BF3 is new compared to Tribes.

'New' is only good for a couple weeks, from past experience. You guys drop WoW and go to the newest fad game, only to play for 2-4 weeks and return bitching about how boring the latest clone is. WoW will still be good for another 6 months or more until farming Deathwing gets old and the next expansion comes out. Beyond that it depends on how much content is released with the next expansion and if it's still fun to play.

I think I'll play ToR, but I have a bad feeling it's going to be as bad as people have said and (like Guild Wars) I'll install it and play no more than a weekend before ditching it.

Well that's the right attitude when playing a game. We've never ditched WoW for a clone. We've tried PvP MMOs. WoW is simply not one. Not all of us are into slaying dragons repeatedly. Different strokes and all that.

wow annual pass gets you free d3, next xpac beta and a mount

No offense, but that "Mists of Pandaria" leaked happened months ago. And even though it was simply a copyright/IP form you could piece it together. WoW subs sagging, new MMOs on the horizon, more players complaining about the constant nerfs, and any Warcraft lore-nerd knows about Blizzard's most beloved "mistake" from WC3. They need something to try and weather the impending MMO storm, with TORs Star Wars fanboy strength surpassing their own Warcraft fanboys (whoever is left from all the constant retconning...) And Guild Wars offering up some enticing innovations towards encouraging working together and balanced PvP (and RvR) they had to do something. So they dredge up the last lore figures from the Warcraft universe, the elusive and mysterious Pandarans.

People quitting WoW for Star Wars? lol

TOR is a shit game that doesnt come close to offering the kind of content that WoW does. Enjoy your flash points!

Most people, including myself, are just waiting for something better...but the truth is the game is years ahead of any thing simply because they've been able to build on the game and player base over the games life span.

Maybe if TOR had an eight year beta and 10 million people testing it it would be able to compete. TOR is what WoW was in 2005, unfortunately thats all it is, a WoW clone.

And the Most Misinformed Post of the Year award goes to...

After seeing the shit from blizzcon, I'm glad I dropped this game earlier this year. The fuck.

Heh, really? Are they seriously plannng on not only dumping the talent system they JUST made for Cataclysm but re-making it as a system that seems to look more like one of the skill/spell systems from Diablo3?

I didn't think this game could get any less appealing since the beginning of cata but there you go...

Heh, really? Are they seriously plannng on not only dumping the talent system they JUST made for Cataclysm but re-making it as a system that seems to look more like one of the skill/spell systems from Diablo3?

I didn't think this game could get any less appealing since the beginning of cata but there you go...

Uh, the proposed talent changes are a step in the right direction. There's always going to be a cookie cutter spec for every single class/spec in the game with the current talent trees. So why bother having a system like that when everyone is using the same exact spec? After browsing over the new talent tiers, there doesn't seem to be an outstanding best choice for every tier, so at least we might actually see some different "specs" this time around for once.

I'm not sure what else they could do to keep me interested.. it's been a long time since release, and we've been through how many tiers.. They've done a great job of keeping it alive but there's really nothing left for me.

Back