Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
41 - 01-18-2009, 17:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurayami View Post
That raises another point.
Gandalf says that the mithril mail was worth "more than the Shire."
If it's truly that valuable, then wouldn't the Dwarves be some sort of economic juggernaut in the world? Wealth = power.
they had money but no real use for it. they basically sat in mines and caves digging **** up not really caring about the outside world.

all of their major civilizations were destroyed between moria and the lonely mountain... they became sort of nomadic after a few wars. in the hobbit they reclaim the lonely mountain but they dont have a very large population.
Quote:
Also, why was Gollum allowed to leave Mordor?

(FotR is on, in case you couldn't tell.)
he was interrogated and revealed he lost the ring to bilbo baggins from the shire. after he was released and captured by aragorn and gandalf.

he claimed he escaped but gollum was a bit of a retard.

Sponsored Links
Al'Muktar
VeteranXX
Old
42 - 01-18-2009, 17:59
Quote:
So...

How does Galdalf know what's in the mines?
And why does he not bother telling everyone else? I mean, surely at some point in the weeks it took to get there he could've said, "oh, and guys, by the way: there is a giant fire demon living there now that I totally can't kill."
aragorn had gone in there before, and gandalf and aragorn go way back

Al'Muktar
VeteranXX
Old
43 - 01-18-2009, 18:02
Quote:
he ended up in mordor after he escaped from the elves, if I recall

during his torture, he mentioned hobbits and the shire and got sent out under light observation to see what he could find out

edit: yknow what? pagy is doing this better, go for it mang :]

Ciceron
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
44 - 01-18-2009, 18:05
Quote:
That raises another point.
Gandalf says that the mithril mail was worth "more than the Shire."
If it's truly that valuable, then wouldn't the Dwarves be some sort of economic juggernaut in the world? Wealth = power.

(FotR is on, in case you couldn't tell.)
Dwarves kept mostly to themselves.

Balrog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia LOL
In January, T.A. 3019, the Fellowship of the Ring travelled through Moria on the way to Mount Doom. They were attacked in the Chamber of Mazarbul by Orcs. The Fellowship fled through a side door, but when the wizard Gandalf the Grey tried to place a "shutting spell" on the door to block the pursuit behind them, the Balrog entered the chamber on the other side and cast a counterspell. Gandalf spoke a word of command to stay the door, but the door shattered and the chamber collapsed. Gandalf was severely weakened by this encounter. The company fled with him, but the Orcs and the Balrog, taking a different route, caught up with them at the bridge of Khazad-dûm. The Elf Legolas instantly recognized the Balrog and Gandalf tried to hold the bridge against it. Since Gandalf and the Balrog were both Maiar, they were beings of the same order. As they faced each other, Gandalf broke the Bridge beneath the Balrog, but as the Balrog fell it wrapped its whip around Gandalf's knees, dragging him to the brink. As the Fellowship looked in horror, Gandalf cried "Fly, you fools!" and fell.

After the long fall, the two landed in a subterranean lake, which extinguished the flames of the Balrog's body; however it remained "a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake." They fought in the water, with the Balrog clutching at Gandalf to strangle him, and Gandalf hewing the Balrog with his sword, until finally the Balrog fled into ancient tunnels of unknown origin. Gandalf pursued the creature for eight days, until they climbed to the peak of Zirakzigil, where the Balrog was forced to turn and fight once again, its body erupting into new flames. Here they fought for two days and nights. In the end, the Balrog was defeated and cast down, breaking the mountainside where it fell. Gandalf himself died following this ordeal; but he was later sent back by Eru to Middle-earth with even greater powers as Gandalf the White "until his task was finished." Tolkien does not discuss the ultimate fate of the Balrog.

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
45 - 01-18-2009, 18:08
now the REALLY nerdy question about the balrog is about whether or not it had wings

Al'Muktar
VeteranXX
Old
46 - 01-18-2009, 18:12
or if elves had pointy ears

just try that one at a nerd convention

edit: I'm pretty damn sure that balrogs werent maiar

sauron was a maiar, balrogs were creations of morgoth

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
47 - 01-18-2009, 18:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al'Muktar View Post
or if elves had pointy ears

just try that one at a nerd convention

edit: I'm pretty damn sure that balrogs werent maiar

sauron was a maiar, balrogs were creations of morgoth
balrogs were maiar too; seduced by melkor

Encyclopedia of Arda: Balrogs

Al'Muktar
VeteranXX
Old
48 - 01-18-2009, 18:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagy View Post
balrogs were maiar too; seduced by melkor

Encyclopedia of Arda: Balrogs
heh

I shouldve stuck with my initial impulse, you're doing it far better than me

interesting article though

Daedalus
VeteranXV
Old
49 - 01-18-2009, 18:46
Quote:
I suppose that makes sense. Sort of.

One would think that an immortal god wizard guy might make it a point to be familiar with magical artifacts that can destroy the world, though.
I ****ing hate you Kurayami and I'm never talking to you again.

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
50 - 01-18-2009, 18:51
/begin NERDQUESTIONLOL

what I DONT GET is... why didnt that huge hawk (the one that saved gandalf that one time) just fly the pecks + ring straight toward the mountain of mordor to destroy said ring. legolas could ride along to pew pew any flying mobs. the movie (or book ) would be over in like 10 minutes lol.

/end NERDQUESTIONLOL

Ciceron
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
51 - 01-18-2009, 18:56
Nice Willow reference.

Hurricane Harold
VeteranX
Old
52 - 01-18-2009, 19:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPpY View Post
/begin NERDQUESTIONLOL

what I DONT GET is... why didnt that huge hawk (the one that saved gandalf that one time) just fly the pecks + ring straight toward the mountain of mordor to destroy said ring. legolas could ride along to pew pew any flying mobs. the movie (or book ) would be over in like 10 minutes lol.

/end NERDQUESTIONLOL
You missed the part where Frodo and Sam sabotaged Mordor's anti-aircraft batteries.

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
53 - 01-18-2009, 19:02
Quote:
/begin NERDQUESTIONLOL

/end NERDQUESTIONLOL
this is a common question

and its not easily answered

eagles were their own race, and didn't much interfere with the affairs of the other races... but they do which makes that explanation a bit ****ty. they fight in the battle of five armies, and help gandalf escape orthanc and help gandalf rescue sam and frodo.

the best explanation is that the ring is very, treacherous. the movie doesn't really personify the ring to the extent that it should be. the ring is evil, the ring controls anyone that has it and will twist anyone that carries it. anyone around the ring will eventually crave it and take it.

(faramir is the only one that outright resists it which they kill in the movie)

anyhow, to get back on track, no one wanted to carry it. gandalf wouldn't touch it... he knew it would dominate him. as such, it can be assumed that the eagles wanted nothing to do with it either.

and if an eagle did carry the ring, or the ring bearer, it would likely have pecked frodo's head off, and took the ring for itself.

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
54 - 01-18-2009, 19:03
just dont tell the eagle then. its not like anyone near the ring bearer automatically knows they have the ring. except the bad guys.

i wonder if that reason was added to the book by tolkien AFTER it was first asked (probably by his kids when they read his beta copy or something)

Last edited by HaPpY; 01-18-2009 at 19:10..
Durak
VeteranXV
Old
55 - 01-18-2009, 19:05
no given that it's stated in the books hobbits are the only race who can carry ring and be resistant to its corruption outright

Al'Muktar
VeteranXX
Old
56 - 01-18-2009, 19:09
Quote:
i wonder if that reason was added to the book by tolkien AFTER it was first asked (probably by his kids when they read his beta copy or something)
glad you asked that

the hobbit was written/created as a story to tell his kids, drawing on his earlier work about the children of hurin and his academic folly of creating a language (he was an expert [edit: professor] on anglo-saxon, infact theres a story in his notes about a viking who ends up in valinor, written entirely in anglo-saxon)

and then it kinda snowballed into the entire LOTR universe

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
57 - 01-18-2009, 19:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durak View Post
no given that it's stated in the books hobbits are the only race who can carry ring and be resistant to its corruption outright
hobbit carries ring, eagle carries hobbit

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
58 - 01-18-2009, 19:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al'Muktar View Post
glad you asked that

the hobbit was written/created as a story to tell his kids, drawing on his earlier work about the children of hurin and his academic folly of creating a language (he was an expert [edit: professor] on anglo-saxon, infact theres a story in his notes about a viking who ends up in valinor, written entirely in anglo-saxon)

and then it kinda snowballed into the entire LOTR universe
ya i sorta figured lotr originated from norse myth.

Swensonator
VeteranX
Old
59 - 01-18-2009, 19:18
Read the Silmarillion

It's long and there's some dull parts, especially the intro, but it explains most questions that people have about LOTR

MeSlayer
VeteranXV
Old
60 - 01-18-2009, 19:19
dude gandalf spends page after page smoking 'pipe weed' and you wonder why he cant remember anything?

Page 3 of 10

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Lord of the nerds

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
kurayamiwar.com