Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited by Window - Page 5 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited
Page 5 of 96
TF_Grungir
VeteranXV
Old
81 - 01-19-2011, 23:29
holy ****... the Dresden Files are $10 each for ebooks. wtf

Sponsored Links
Profhet
VeteranX
Old
82 - 01-19-2011, 23:44
can't go wrong with the Dresden Files

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
83 - 01-20-2011, 00:49
These one line recommendations are deep and thought provoking, but has anyone said what Dresden Files is about, or why it should be read yet?

BlueSoxSWJ
VeteranX
Old
84 - 01-20-2011, 01:04
Dropping in for the requisite mention of the Baen Free Library.

Right now I'm reading Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon because it's free on the Kindle.

RedMeat
Veteran++
Old
85 - 01-20-2011, 01:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrFox View Post
Permutation City by Greg Egan.
And while we're there, Diaspora.

Shiloh
Veteran++
Old
86 - 01-20-2011, 03:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post
These one line recommendations are deep and thought provoking, but has anyone said what Dresden Files is about, or why it should be read yet?
Its about Harry Dresden, the only publicly listed professional wizard in Chicago. He is basically a private investigator that goes paycheck to paycheck using magic for finding lost keys & items, but he also looks into dangerous arcane stuff, mostly for Chicago PD. He ends up investigating dark wizards, vampires, werewolves, faires, etc. But he doesn't do parties. Mortal magic interferes with technology, so he has to drive around an ancient and beat to hell VW bug and has to take the stairs everywhere, and never touch a cell phone. He's tall and lanky, somewhat nerdy, and he has a talking skull for a lab assistant. And the stories he is in are very addicting.

Spend 10 minutes and read the short story I posted a link to on the first page. If you like it, you will want to read more. I'm willing to bet you might even cosplay him and get yourself a foam .44 magnum and wizard staff.

CelticMojo
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
87 - 01-20-2011, 03:20
Sounds like you would find that in the young adult section at the library. lol

Shiloh
Veteran++
Old
88 - 01-20-2011, 03:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
Sounds like you would find that in the young adult section at the library. lol
I guess he should read the novelizations of popular movies instead.

Darklord
VeteranX
Old
89 - 01-20-2011, 10:28
Note that that is how it starts out, in the first book, but there is an intricate universe with tons of major things going on, giant power struggles, all sorts of cool stuff. The whole private investigator being the focus of the book is only really in the first one, it gets way more complicated from there.

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
90 - 01-20-2011, 10:45
i hope its better than the terrible TV series

soundjester
VeteranXV
Old
91 - 01-20-2011, 10:52
dotted

Darklord
VeteranX
Old
92 - 01-20-2011, 12:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn View Post
i hope its better than the terrible TV series
TV series was horrid. I forced myself through two episodes or so, hoping it would get better. It's too bad, if done well it could have been awesome, it is a great world to have a show in.

ZephyrFox
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
93 - 01-20-2011, 17:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord View Post
TV series was horrid. I forced myself through two episodes or so, hoping it would get better. It's too bad, if done well it could have been awesome, it is a great world to have a show in.
Yeah the TV show was atrocious, although I did like Paul Blackthorne as Harry.
I would be content with him or Marsters playing him in another small or big screen adaptation.

Part of the good news out of Marscon was that the film rights have reverted back to Jim early. Lets just hope Nick Cage keeps his hands off. He's a huge fan, produced the TV show and modeled his character in the Sorc's Apprentice on Harry.

Window
VeteranX
Old
94 - 01-24-2011, 18:04
just finished storm front (dresden book 1)... was good but a little cheesy at times

starting gardens of the moon now

JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
95 - 01-24-2011, 18:24
Having just finished everything that is Dresden Files, I would agree that it can be cheesy at times but I still like them. The first few books aren't the best and Jim Butcher gets better as a writer as the series progresses.

Though there are times where he is a little too formulaic when it comes to describing characters in every book and such, he apparently has character cards (kind of like D&D sheets) for every character and it seems like sometimes he relies a little too much on them.

The Fallen are probably the best villains of the bunch (namely Nicodemus) but I don't think they show up until book 5.

Last edited by JodoFett; 01-24-2011 at 18:26..
SoulHunter
VeteranX
Old
96 - 01-24-2011, 18:50
I've always enjoyed Gordon R Dickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
He is probably most famous for his Childe Cycle and the Dragon Knight series. He won three Hugo awards and one Nebula award.

buize
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
97 - 01-24-2011, 19:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMeat View Post
And while we're there, Diaspora.
i loved this book

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
98 - 01-24-2011, 19:38
Dresden files is young adult

Really bad, I wouldn't touch it unless you are inferior as a person.

"
Quote:
The Black Prism, well, is even better. Fantastic world building, good magic system, and amazingly good plot. Best high fantasy novel I've read this year, hands down. Some parts of the plot figuratively floored me, and he definitely doesn't move the characters OR the plot in the direction that you anticipate after the first 150 pages. In this regard, it's similar to the Night Angel series: the reader builds up an expectation of how everything is going to pan out, and then he shakes it all around, and beats you over your head with your own expectation."

Last edited by DacTheHork; 01-24-2011 at 19:43..
JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
99 - 01-24-2011, 19:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord View Post
Yeah, my particular favorite episode was the one that they fashioned after Storm Front. The episode was named Storm Front, but basically that was the only resemblance. They changed all the characters, changed reasons behind things, changed what happens, and a few other things.

SuperSniperX
Veteranniner
Contributor
Old
100 - 01-24-2011, 20:03
Since i've never learned how to read... i have been listening to audiobooks lately.

Birmingham's Axis of Time trilogy was pretty damn good. It's like a cooler version of the Movie The Final Countdown.

American Gods by Gaiman was good.

I just started A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo, which is the first book of the Posleen War series. It's ok.

Page 5 of 96

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex knapik-levert