off the rome [pics]

Is that Castel St Angelo?

Looks great. Would love to visit there and see all of that...

yeah. i haven't had the opportunity to go inside yet. but i LOL @ the idea of popes running there to hide from pissed off people in the middle ages

sBJ2Iwu.jpg

Res Gestae Divi Augusti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was supposed to go to Florence a week ago but didn't end up happening. Beautiful city and a lot different than Rome

G0jdTtX.jpg

4th century BC Servian Wall, eventually the city expanded and now it's part of a restaurant and apartment building

I' reading a sweet account of augustus' life right now
can you get more photos of the palatine hill (or is it just rubble now?) forum and various buildings in it, the mausoleum, and maybe some temples if any or aquaducts that have survived?
i know almost nothing of the state of roman ruins today :(

but it was augustus as well as his elite buddies, and especially agrippa, who led the charge on upgrading rome. I wonder if the 600 million rome bux puts it all on him, or actually just tallies what Augustus did
1 sesterce was said to be worth 2-4 pounds sterling...which means a denari may be 8-16 pounds sterling?
say 12 pounds, and 600 million so..7.2 billion pounds

not bad

Twin pink granite obelisks flanked the arched entryway; these now stand, one at the Piazza dell'Esquilino (on the northwest side of the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore) and other at the Quirinal fountain. The completed Mausoleum measured 90 m (295 ft) in diameter by 42 m (137 ft) in height.

i wish someone could take all the shit that's been stolen and re-purposed and put it back at the old sites.
i guess the ruins are too far gone to make it look cool though :(

I'm reading:
Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor: Anthony Everitt: 9780812970586: Amazon.com: Books
anthony everitt is great. I read his biography on Cicero first, and it was so good, read it two or three times
i've got his Hadrian, and then a general book on Rome itself to read after this one

In 410, during the sack of Rome by Alaric, the pillaging Visigoths rifled the vaults, stole the urns and scattered the ashes, without damaging the structure of the building (Lanciani). In the Middle Ages the artificial tumulus was fortified as a castle— as was the mausoleum of Hadrian, which was turned into the Castel Sant'Angelo— and occupied by the Colonna family. After the disastrous defeat of the Commune of Rome at the hands of the Count of Tusculum in 1167, the Colonna were disgraced and banished, and their fortification in the Campo was dismantled. Thus it became a ruin.

Last edited:
I' reading a sweet account of augustus' life right now
can you get more photos of the palatine hill (or is it just rubble now?) forum and various buildings in it, the mausoleum, and maybe some temples if any or aquaducts that have survived?
i know almost nothing of the state of roman ruins today :(

There aren't any buildings or houses that really remain on the Palatine hill, at least that I've been able to find. You can walk up and down the hill and get a feel for what it must've been like to stroll down from your condo on the way to the forum, but it doesn't get much deeper than that. They are doing some interesting digs and have found some cool stuff but basically all that remains are the support columns, some wide open spaces, and this passageway that had been used by the Emperor's family ever since Augustus.

The roman forum is rubble and there are a few impressive buildings like the basilica of Maxentius and a column or two from the temple of Castor and Pollux, but other than that, it's been eroded. To get a better idea of what Republican era Rome looked like you go over to the Forum Boarium

Forum Boarium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kveit1506s.jpg

TempleOfHercules-ForumBoarium.jpg

As far as the tomb of Augustus goes, I don't know what they're trying to do with it. There's a fence up but it's not a tourist attraction here in Rome. It was looted a long time ago and the obelisks that stood in front of it now stand in front of S. maria maggiore and the quirinal hill

ADT4840.jpg

obelisk%2B-%2Bcloseup.jpg

so sad :(
do you know if all these buildings were also painted like the statues were? in reds and yellows and blues...or were they just marble without any splash

temple of juluis ceaser in the forum is gone too huh...
what about out on the campus martius? any temples or anything that way?
is basically everything more or less gone?

why doesnt some rich billionaire reconstruct rome with like fake marble buildings and shit, instead of the titanic or whatever

that'd be neeeeeeaaaaaaat

so sad :(
do you know if all these buildings were also painted like the statues were? in reds and yellows and blues...or were they just marble without any splash

temple of juluis ceaser in the forum is gone too huh...
what about out on the campus martius? any temples or anything that way?
is basically everything more or less gone?

why doesnt some rich billionaire reconstruct rome with like fake marble buildings and shit, instead of the titanic or whatever

that'd be neeeeeeaaaaaaat

No idea about the painting, probably

The Curia Julia still stands but it's not really anything to behold

Curia Julia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anything in the Campus Martius sits at least 15 feet below the modern city. Between the Tiber flooding and 2,000 years of people dumping trash, the city has changed a lot. The most impressive building in this area is Pantheon, along with the Temple of Hadrian

Temple_of_Hadrian_Rome.jpg

And the last guy that tried to reconstruct ancient Rome was Mussolini, so no one is in a rush to do that

ya, no abuse and love
then he can make a good roman thing
i mean, cant be worse than italy am i right LOL

Back