Legions is cool but what is Red 5 up to?

?B-MAN

Veteran X
Ok so Legions is starting to look pretty cool. Looks to have the basics down and its something to look forward to at the end of March. (well for those in the Legions beta).

But all this time I'm always thinking to myself about Red 5 and their secret uber game. What did Cornboy mean by his comments last year?

Yes Red 5 is working on some uber MMO FPS using the Project Offset engine. No it's not going to be some slow MMPORG. They are up to something and I sense it will have some Tribes like elements within.

What really peaked my curiosity again is this recent interview.
Red 5 Studios: Hints and Latest Info Revealed by CEO Mark Kern | Ten Ton Hammer

Toward the end of the interview Mark Kern does reveal a tidbit of what will be involved in the game. I think the words he uses would peak the attention of any Tribes fan, especially considering Cornboy's comments awhile ago. Yes its some MMO FPS hybrid but it sounds like it wont be what you may expect.

Ten Ton Hammer: Can you at least give us a hint concerning the genre of the title you’re pursuing? Sci-Fi? Horror? Fantasy? Comedy? *laughs*

Kern: Okay. We're getting close enough that I'll drop some hints! It's not a fantasy game. It has some elements of a sports game and has some great player vs player action. The whole thing is tied up in a very, very cool new world setting that is every bit as fantastical as the last game I worked on. Oh, and guilds become more important and more fun than ever before. If I said any more my next sentence would be interrupted mid-stream by a flying dagger ...

Last edited:
That post said nothing Tribes-like at all 'cept it involves guilds, isn't fantasy, and has player vs player...how is that different from, say, Eve? Or Star Wars Galaxies??

I don't know, but I have a beta spot guaranteed...

TribalWarBeer.jpg

MMO developer Red 5 Studios has announced that former Oracle exec Michael Weingartner has joined the company as vice president of engineering, where he will use his experience with server systems in the development of the company's unannounced MMO.

Red 5 was founded in 2005 in Southern California by former World of Warcraft team leader Mark Kern and former art director William Petras. The company is backed by an $18.5 million investment from Benchmark Capital and Sierra ventures.

In addition, the firm has signed a deal with Korean-headquartered publisher Webzen for the exclusive worldwide rights to publish and distribute the company's first title.

Said Weingartner, "There are intriguing parallels between building an innovative MMO server system and the work I was able to accomplish at Oracle. I've been influenced by a number of hit games, including the Tribes series, StarCraft, and Dark Age of Camelot. Combining my past technological experience with my passion for gaming is something I've wanted to do for years, and at Red 5, I have the opportunity."

hmm intriguing... for the first time i smell a success with regard to something related to tribes.... perhaps because this project is backed by winners unlike garage games.

They are up to something pretty big and I just like these facts:

A: Scott Youngblood is playing a role
B: They keep using the word "Tribe" and "Tribes".
C: They mention gameplay that will be sport like and offer intense player versus player gameplay.
D: Creme of the crop group of developers/Artists etc
E: No Vivendi, No EA, No Microsoft (so far)
F: Project Offset engine
G: Huge tech backing from the likes of said Oracle, Intel (Intel now owns Project Offset).

This will not be a console game. Jesus an Oracle exec going to work for a game company damn.

Last edited:
Back