jetting and decreased energy pack your thoughts..

?B-MAN

Veteran X
Well the only real gripe I have is with the energy packs recharge time and its affect on jetting. In the beta you felt heavy, Now you feel really heavy.

And hey dont get me wrong, I'm happy they slowed the Heavys down a bit because TV was turning into a mortar spam fest with the small maps, but I shouldnt feel like a fatty when I'm in a light with an energy pack.

Other than that Kudos to Irrational on the demo, its much smoother and thank you for removing the jerky bumpy downhill sliding. Still the jets are just too damn Irrational :ugh:

Last edited:
Most of the time i'm in a light with the energy pack (i've been specializing in capper/chaser) but when i went med/sheild tonight i was on the ground so much more, it felt like it was taking forever to recharge. Could just be a reletive thing since i don't play it much, but i think when i played heavy/med in the past i remember it recharging faster.

I think i've even noticed slower recharge for the light with energy pack too. Kind of disapointing.

I think it blows ass. It was just fine the way it was in OB. I am really surprised they made a change to it. It would be interesting to hear the logic behind the change.

i like it except for those times i suddenly find myself standing around on the ground w/ no energy looking like an idiot right before i die :)

recharge for boost is faster, but the actual energy meter recharges slower (at least it feels like it without pack, and i think it also feels like it with the pack).

the boost is definitely shorter. I used to hurt myself with impact on the upper OOB grid.. now I can't even come near it.

the passive effect of the epack really needs to be closer to what it was in the previous games.. it's pretty crappy as it is

No, they made normal energy recharge slower, so now epack is esential if you don't want to spend 40% of your time on the ground saving up energy...

i want to say you guys aren't using your energy well. i'm finding myself with loads more energy and speed and mobility than OB. try skiing more with horizontal thrust and less with epack boosts.

how do you do this you say? after you come down on a curve, wait until you're going semi-horizontal, and then jet away! :) you'll go further and faster by placing your thrust against your direction as opposed to gunning epack boosts when you had them charged.

Irritant, you should make the above an in-game "tip"

Pachacutec said:
i want to say you guys aren't using your energy well. i'm finding myself with loads more energy and speed and mobility than OB. try skiing more with horizontal thrust and less with epack boosts.

how do you do this you say? after you come down on a curve, wait until you're going semi-horizontal, and then jet away! :) you'll go further and faster by placing your thrust against your direction as opposed to gunning epack boosts when you had them charged.

Irritant, you should make the above an in-game "tip"

That is exactly what I do. But if Im on server with say a 100 + ping you tend to fall to the ground faster. On a server with a better connection on the same route its not as much of a problem. Before the nerfed jets, I could get on a server with a good connection or slow connection and the skiing and jetting was pretty even. Now theres a drastic difference.

I always felt the OB jetting and skiing was good. Actually thought the jets just needed a tad more horizontal boost thats it. The opposite was done.

Oh well time to re-learn yet another change.

Feeling heavy? It's the other way around, it's almost like zero gravity now... And that has really made it harder to slingshot with the grappler... :( My beloved grappler... :D

The thing ive noticed that i really dislike is that its much harder now from a defensive position to catch up to a capper who has grabbed on a fast route. All the ski and energy physics changes have made the game extremely capper friendly. To the point where i may not purchase the game.
But im going to play abit more see if i can adjust. The Beta Physics in the areas where perfect it balanced the ability of both capper and defense.

jgs said:
The thing ive noticed that i really dislike is that its much harder now from a defensive position to catch up to a capper who has grabbed on a fast route.....

Dead are the days of great chases across long stretches of terrain...

Until a mod.

The demo is still downloading for me, so I can't say anything on the subject. But if the energy for even the lights has been decreased I'm going to be pretty upset. I've been loving how the game plays for that class for weeks now, and thought it was near damn perfect.

I just hope that the devs haven't forgotten that this game is focused around movement. Take that away, and it begins to fall into the region of generic FPS #535. But as I say, I haven't tested it out yet.

Back