Hey VU, Irrational how about a TribesED tutorial.

?B-MAN

Veteran X
I know there are Unrealed videos out there etc etc. But how hard could it be for one of the art directors, map folks etc to release a TribesED tutorial/manual? You guys sling out flashy websites etc all day long. I can understand quality patches take time, but how hard would it be to put such a tutorial together. Hell if you released a book or vid I'd buy it.

There's already a good set of training manuals out for UnrealEd over at 3DBuzz. Learn those, and you'll easily be able to do TribesED from there.

It would be sorta nice to atleast get an intro tutorial or something... I haven't delt with Unreal Ed before and the differances between the tools are annoying as hell. I keep looking for tools they refer to and can't find the damned things. Sloggin through anyway and have got some interesting things going...

Um... one question if anyone would care ta answer... HOW THE FIRG do you make a sun??

BitRaiser said:
Um... one question if anyone would care ta answer... HOW THE FIRG do you make a sun??

Add a sunlight entity (select it from the main classes list). Line it up so it faces the correct way, and voila, instant sun. You'll also need to make sure the faces of the main zone it's located in have the "Fake Backdrop" flag set - you'll only get sunlight coming from faces with this flag.

I started entering some stuff into the dev site before it went down. Hopefully when it's back up I'll start putting more detail in, time permitting.

IrritAnt said:
Add a sunlight entity (select it from the main classes list). Line it up so it faces the correct way, and voila, instant sun. You'll also need to make sure the faces of the main zone it's located in have the "Fake Backdrop" flag set - you'll only get sunlight coming from faces with this flag.

I started entering some stuff into the dev site before it went down. Hopefully when it's back up I'll start putting more detail in, time permitting.

Hey Bit see you do get some attention =) Wow thanks Irritant for replying just seeing you post here makes meh giddy.

There definatly needs to be some mini-tutorial IrritAnt... especially to explain some things in the editor.

Ex: -How does the command screen image work?
-What about the image loading screen?
-Can I still create good 'ol moving parts elevators?

Edit: And other things which I already learned from others.

Ex: Team/BaseInfo stuff
Primary and Secondary Spawn points
GameTypes
How the sensor system works etc.

etc etc

Oh, and TERRAIN is also important... The more people know about editing/making terrain the better.

How would you:
Create a moving elevator (as above). If you jumpjet while it's going up you would get a significant boost ala ut2kx. How would you then only allow this elevator to work if a certain object was up? Like the generator or a switch right next to it. Just what kind of events can be scripted into the engine? Could we do wind effects that boost you in a certain direction while in a certain area?

lol, and add a taunt "It's a nice weather for skiing, isn't it?" (with aussie-accent) :p
But yes.. looking forward to see some scripted hostile environment things in custom T:V maps.. lightning etc.. if its even possible. This wind effect sounds really scary tho.. :)

Back