[Nerds] Laptop to Receiver (optical audio? hdmi? what?) by Obibun - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Nerds] Laptop to Receiver (optical audio? hdmi? what?)
Page 1 of 4
Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 12-29-2010, 10:33
according to all the spec sheets on my laptop I apparently have an optical audio port but I have no idea what it looks like and I really don't think I have one

can someone show me what the **** it is, google only has pictures of receiver ports

I have 4 apparent audio things. there are two pictures of headphones, one of a microphone and one of something I've never seen before? It's like a circle with lines above it and below it.

everything else is square so I don't think it could be optical audio

also if I have HDMI can I just use it for sound? and if so, does my receiver need an HDMI in? because I think it only has an HDMI out which is all manner of gay

thanks

ed- also assuming this mystery port is indeed optical audio, how does one go about setting up laptop/games for surround sound? is it just done in the individual game's audio menus? what about for music and ****?

Sponsored Links
SL83
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 12-29-2010, 11:03
TOSLINK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

groundzero
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 12-29-2010, 11:05
WHAT KIND OF LAPTOP LOLLLL

Veww
VeteranX
Old
4 - 12-29-2010, 11:05

Easiest solution, plus no wires. Picked mine up on ebay for $50.

Spoiler

dweeb
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 12-29-2010, 11:06
why not ask that crypt keeper looking model from your HION thread lmao

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 12-29-2010, 11:07
okay so after some research I'm pretty sure what I have is a mini-Toslink out on my laptop

which (I think) means I would need an optical audio (toslink) cable with a mini adapter?

and can anyone confirm that the weird circle with lines around it symbol is optical audio? I saw it in passing somewhere on the internet but I can't find it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
Ok, your receiver HAS to have HDMI input if it has an hdmi output - cheap receivers do HDMI passthrough, they wont convert other types of signal to HDMI (component/composite, etc). If its an expensive, top of the line receiver that actually will convert signal from alternate inputs to HDMI... then it would have HDMI inputs anyway, because what the ****ing ****.
It's not really a receiver. It's a DVD player with surround sound support and a few extra bells and whistles, really. The kind of **** that gets bundled with a TV + surround sound combo system

It has an HDMI out but I really don't see an HDMI in anywhere

Last edited by Obibun; 12-29-2010 at 11:09..
Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
7 - 12-29-2010, 11:08
Ok, your receiver HAS to have HDMI input if it has an hdmi output - cheap receivers do HDMI passthrough, they wont convert other types of signal to HDMI (component/composite, etc). If its an expensive, top of the line receiver that actually will convert signal from alternate inputs to HDMI... then it would have HDMI inputs anyway, because what the ****ing ****.

Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
8 - 12-29-2010, 11:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obibun View Post
okay so after some research I'm pretty sure what I have is a mini-Toslink out on my laptop

which (I think) means I would need an optical audio (toslink) cable with a mini adapter?
just get a cable with the adapter already built in, ie toslink to mini toslink. Dont buy a seperate adapter.

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 12-29-2010, 11:09
Quote:

For only $2.09 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6ft Toslink to Mini M/M 5.0mm OD Molded Cable | Toslink to Mini Plug

TOSLink to MiniTOSLink cable

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 12-29-2010, 11:10
Quote:
just get a cable with the adapter already built in, ie toslink to mini toslink. Dont buy a seperate adapter.
Yeah I'd like to but calling around, nobody even knows what the **** a toslink/optical audio cable is

Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
11 - 12-29-2010, 11:12
Quote:
Yeah I'd like to but calling around, nobody even knows what the **** a toslink/optical audio cable is
stop calling HB9s and 10s. I know thats all thats in your phone, but they suck at home theatre stuff.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
they will have what you need.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10229

halfway down the page.

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 12-29-2010, 11:15

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 12-29-2010, 11:18
Quote:
stop calling HB9s and 10s. I know thats all thats in your phone, but they suck at home theatre stuff.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
they will have what you need.

Audio Cables - Optical Toslink

halfway down the page.
yeah I know but I'm in Canada and I can't wait 3 weeks for this

I'd rather just go spend an extra $15 or whatever and have it now and know it works

is that an optical audio out?

DJester
VeteranX
Old
14 - 12-29-2010, 11:42
That's SPDIF Optical out. A normal optical out will look like this.

(pink/black square on the far left)

So if you're going from SPDIF optical to traditional optical, you'll need a cable like this.

3.5mm SPDIF to Optical

Last edited by DJester; 12-29-2010 at 11:56..
SL83
VeteranXV
Old
15 - 12-29-2010, 11:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJester View Post
That's SPDIF Optical out. A normal optical out will look like this.

(pink/black square on the far left)

So if you're going from SPDIF optical to traditional optical, you'll need a cable like this.

3.5mm SPDIF to Optical
Isn't SPDIF electrical and TOSLink is optical?

Nevermind I am confusing S/PDIF coaxial and optical/toslink

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
16 - 12-29-2010, 12:12
alright so I bought a cable, toslink to mini toslink, it's hooked up and the DVD/Receiver is set on AUX OPT

I'm not hearing anything though

how do I set it up on my laptop to send it through optical? I can't find an option in any of the sound configuration

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
17 - 12-29-2010, 12:21
I'm assuming in the Sound --> Playback menu there should be something for Optical audio but I'm only seeing Speakers / Headphones, Independent (R.C.T) Headphones and HDMI

DJester
VeteranX
Old
18 - 12-29-2010, 12:23
Quote:
alright so I bought a cable, toslink to mini toslink, it's hooked up and the DVD/Receiver is set on AUX OPT

I'm not hearing anything though

how do I set it up on my laptop to send it through optical? I can't find an option in any of the sound configuration
Go to your sound manager and make sure SPDIF is set properly.

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
19 - 12-29-2010, 12:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJester View Post
Go to your sound manager and make sure SPDIF is set properly.
?

nigafool
VeteranXX
Old
20 - 12-29-2010, 12:40
lol what kind of loser knows how to plug stuff in

Page 1 of 4

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Nerds] Laptop to Receiver (optical audio? hdmi? what?)

Social Website Bullshit