an awesome steak i ruined :(

Darmok & Jalad

Veteran XX
i read up on a several ways to cook a steak with a cast iron, and they all say to have it as hot as possible. Either, they're wrong or I don't know how to time 120 seconds. If this would've been charcoal, I would've been set.

in 4 easy steps, i will show you how to ruin a steak!

dsc01019a.jpg

dsc01020e.jpg

dsc01026ux.jpg

dsc01027up.jpg

Explain what you did, because me and a buddy did this for the first time a little while ago and it turned out amazing.

Explain what you did, because me and a buddy did this for the first time a little while ago and it turned out amazing.

baked the cast iron at 500f, I then threw it on a hot stove and set it to high for 2 more minutes. So, it could soak up some more heat.

the actual steak was cooked for about 2 minutes on that burnt side and about maybe another 2 for the other side. Once i flipped it, i put in the over for those last 2 minutes. It might have been less... it was a dry aged rib eye that i didn't want getting burned :(

I don't buy this whole theory of getting the pan rocking hot and then finishing in an oven. This only works for seared tuna (minus the oven part) when you really want to toast the sesame seeds on the outside and leave the inside raw.

I guess if you want to have the steak really rare inside then it's a good idea, but I like it medium. You can still get plenty of browning (even in a non-stick pan) by cooking the steak over medium heat on one side until it's nice and seared, then repeating the same process on the other side.

As long as you leave the pan uncovered, the outside will remain crispy.

Also, as far as seasoning is concerned, put kosher salt on both sides and let it sit for 5 minutes. It looks like you're just using regular table salt. I also like to cover both sides with freshly cracked black pepper (not powdered). It might seem like a lot of pepper, but once it cooks you're left with a great fruity-peppery taste that's not at all overwhelming.

Last edited:
What temp was the steak when you put it on the skillet? I've made the mistake of putting a cool steak on the grill to very similar results. The steak MUST be room tempt.

What is that seasoning? A powder might burn, while simply kosher salt + pepper has less of a chance.

Did you have oil on the skillet? A low-smoke-point oil like olive oil will burn; try using canola oil next time.

toss that steak on your red hot pan for 30-40 seconds a side max than into the oven to finish (depending on thickness, around 7,8 minutes maybe)

and coat each side with sea salt, cracked black pepper and rub a little safflower or other high heat oil into the meat beforehand

and yes, make sure it's at room temp

I don't buy this whole theory of getting the pan rocking hot and then finishing in an oven. This only works for seared tuna (minus the oven part) when you really want to toast the sesame seeds on the outside and leave the inside raw.

When I did it, the outside was cooked perfectly and the inside was medium to medium rare.

I've gotten mixed results tossing salt on before the meat goes on to the pan. If you put the salt on right before you get meat that looks like yours. What happens is the salt draws moisture out of the steak and doesn't have time to reabsorb. This moisture is what allows your meat to cook at different rates with some parts of the steak steaming more then searing.

I prefer to salt the meat at least 1 hour prior to cooking and allowing the steak to sit out during this time and come to room temp. If you're going to season late its best to season after the cooking is done.

Try it again with cheaper cuts too so that you can practice more. Good luck.

2 minutes per side when your pan is that hot is way too long. You're probably pushing the limit at 1 minute per side at that temp

And I'll ecbo what others bhave said. Make sure the meat is at room temp before cooking, use kosher salt for at least 15 minutes before you cook it, make sure you rinse off the salt and pat dry the steak before you throw it in the pan.

thanks for the tips guys, the salt was natural sea salt and i had rosemary & thyme on there.

The steak was rare, but the burnt parts just over powered the flavor.

I had no oil on the pan as well. The steak might of been wet, because i rinsed off the salt and lighly patted it dry with a paper towl.

So, it sounds like it was too long to cook the steak, and I only had it for about 30~40 minutes.

I'll let you guys know next time how it turns out.

When I did it, the outside was cooked perfectly and the inside was medium to medium rare.

Did you sear it on a pan and then finish it in the oven? I've found that to just leave a soggy crust as the juices/fat escape in all directions in the oven.

temperature is the key, hot hot hot
that thing should be glowing red when you throw the meat on (well not glowing, but you get my point)

follow this method for great success

that's a shitload of salt for a good steak

also that doesn't really look like a dry aged steak

but if it is, remember they cook differently than non-aged steaks

thanks for the tips guys, the salt was natural sea salt and i had rosemary & thyme on there.

The steak was rare, but the burnt parts just over powered the flavor.

I had no oil on the pan as well. The steak might of been wet, because i rinsed off the salt and lighly patted it dry with a paper towl.

So, it sounds like it was too long to cook the steak, and I only had it for about 30~40 minutes.

I'll let you guys know next time how it turns out.

The oil is the worst mistake. the oil helps to spread out the heat over the entire side of the steak, not just the contact points.

also, although Ramsay is a douche, he cooks a mean steak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtIiR7DBAqY

Last edited:
nthing oil. I usually oil the meat directly because you can let the pan get hotter without burning oil, and I think you get better coverage that way.

Back