[Feedback/Question] Grappler and Trees

-iA- Sass

Veteran XV
Whats the deal with the grappler and trees? Is there some particular reason why the grappler line snaps when it goes through the foliage on the pine trees/leafy everywhere and the branches of bare trees on winterlake?

I'd just like to know if this was intentional (certainly seems like it), and the reason for the decision. Somehow, it doesn't make sense that it was done for the purposes of realism, since you can swing through palm trees (folilage included), the fact that your person can certainly pass through branches, and not to mention the ability to grapple dirt. That seems to only leave balance.

I don't envision the ability to grapple trees being too unbalanced - the map designers have placed them pretty sporadically (preventing spiderman-ing across a map) or in bunches, limiting your approach and movement away from the tree(s). The thinness and relatively low height of trees is a limiting factor as well, so why the cut off for foliage?

Frankly, I think that maps like emerald would be more interesting if you could snag a tree or 2 (with more than 1 meter of your hook, anyhow). Hell, I don't even know how much use that would be, seeing as the map can be crossed in the blink of an eye, but I would certainly like the option. If you can pull off mach 5 speed and snag a tree, I think you should be able to have a little swing.

Last edited:
Calder said:
You can swing on trees, I do it all the time :(

Palm trees. If you swing through the foliage of a pine/leafy trees or the branches of bare trees on winterlake the line gets cut, at least in my experience.

Last edited:
The trees do seem to make your line break alot. Sometimes I snag a tree and swing without a problem, other times it snaps almost instantly (both on same map).Since its so unpredictable, I usually just forget the trees and go for the ground or better yet a building.

PyroTeknik said:
Trees are unreliable.
Lamp posts is where it's at.

My attempts to swing around the lamp post, nab the flag and fling in the other direction haven't been successful so far. I think trees don't work unless you are using like 1m of wire or you swing at a nearly horizontal angle.

-iA- Sass said:
My attempts to swing around the lamp post, nab the flag and fling in the other direction haven't been successful so far. I think trees don't work unless you are using like 1m of wire or you swing at a nearly horizontal angle.

No, but you can really throw the LD for a loop (ba-dum-bum chish) if you grab the flag, grapple the lightpost, and then flee the other way.

Mix it up with a full loop around the flag post to keep them honest, though the full loop gets you killed more often in my experience.

enDless_Delirium said:
No, but you can really throw the LD for a loop (ba-dum-bum chish) if you grab the flag, grapple the lightpost, and then flee the other way.

Mix it up with a full loop around the flag post to keep them honest, though the full loop gets you killed more often in my experience.

Indeed, I'll have to try that more.

I still haven't seen much input on the trees though. Does anyone think that making them more grapple-able would diminish gameplay?

Back