I-85 bridge collapsed in Atlanta, i-85 closed indefinitely

"indefinitely" doesn't seem like the correct word for this when all the news stories say, "a few weeks". The word is defined as unlimited time or unspecified time, which this is neither.

It is surprising how quickly they can repair a bridge with major damage if needed, sure it takes 3 years for a contractor to build a bridge, but it really can be done in weeks or months.

Crews have demolished and replaced major 3-4 lane highway overpasses on both sides of the road in less than 24 hours, they just need to stage it properly before shutting down the highway with pre-constructed sections. Neat to see in time lapse.

The biggest issue is there's guidelines on how the long the concrete has to cure. I don't think you can just pour a couple tons of concrete and then start putting massive weight on it the next day. Obviously if it's staged that's a little different.

Crews have demolished and replaced major 3-4 lane highway overpasses on both sides of the road in less than 24 hours, they just need to stage it properly before shutting down the highway with pre-constructed sections. Neat to see in time lapse.

With that one I think they built the new section beside it on rails, in one night they demolished the old one and slid the new section over, they had it ready to go for the morning rush hour.

You would think they would build elevated roads to some sort of standard block size so they can just have a bunch of prefab ready to go.

Just needs a couple of big (really big) choppers to lift it in and off ya go in a couple of hours

I would say the issue is probably the angles. I don't think they make a standard 52 degree incline highway block

You would think they would build elevated roads to some sort of standard block size so they can just have a bunch of prefab ready to go.

Just needs a couple of big (really big) choppers to lift it in and off ya go in a couple of hours
I'd imagine it's not that simple this time around as the capitals or the columns themselves are probably also compromised.

It was probably nearing 2k degrees for it to start spalling and collapse so quickly. That heat was surely getting to the columns as well.

Imagine how stupid they would look if they just craned in another section and then three sections fell due to unstable supports.

Yep. They're fucked as well:

spink%20main.jpg

You can see the rebar in the columns. They'll probably have to do all three sections.

*Not a concrete expert so if someone else is, feel free...

You're right the heat has made the rebar brittle and weakened the columns.

I'm fukn surprised that a plastic fire could cause this damage. Did the nigs just pile up shit and lite a match and get lucky?

If you keep it down to 10 ton sections a CH53k could do the job, but they usually aren't needed unless access by crane is restricted somehow. Plus cranes and helicopters don't mix.

Back