Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

I have no real motivation to continue the series. I really liked Lies, but  the whole concept of the bondsmagi just felt like sloppy writing. It's this all-powerful organization who's services are so expensive that the Duke or even the fucking bank can't afford to have on staff, but the gray king can hire him for a month? And the explanation is just "well he worked really hard and made a bunch of money". I'm sorry, what? 
Yep the more they involve the bondsmagi in the plot, the stupider it gets. The series is entertaining when the gang is running crazy cons, not fucking with wizards.

I am on the 5th book of the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher that people have posted in this thread. I am enjoying them.
no offense, but I found these books awful and juvenile. I enjoyed them, but at the same time I felt like I was reading kids' books the entire time.

That neck-bearded motherfucker needs to put out book #3! I really enjoy that series :/

Hear Hear to that shit.

Fucking A on zen, the
Spoiler

I just finished Locke Lamora 3 (Republic of Theives)

Very disappointing. Worse than the 2nd one. The 1st one is by far the best.

Looking forward to the next Warded Man (Demon Cycle?) coming out this month.

glad i stopped after 2.

currently reading 3rd book of The Expanse series and listening to Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Half way through Weaveworld by Clive Barker. I've read a number of his books/stories and am finally getting around to it. Drags at parts but so far so good.

Read the Neuromancer not too long ago. Pretty good, holds up well.

I haven't read up on it but I guess The Matrix was based on it.

I still found Snowcrash way more interesting/spooky in the way tech has developed along the lines of so many things in the book.

It all gets a bit much sometimes. That's why I just read Deliverance and am currently on The Naked and the Dead. Need some gritty WW2 Pacific to balance things out.

I still found Snowcrash way more interesting/spooky in the way tech has developed along the lines of so many things in the book.

Check out Burning Chrome

It isn't that the Matrix is based on it...it is just that Nueromancer was the first to really put a name to many of the ideas/concepts used in cybernetic/cyberpunk. The Matrix heavily borrowed from a ton of different sources, even including philosophy books like Simulacra and Simulation.

Nueromancer is much tighter as a story, but I do enjoy Snowcrash as well. Snowcrash can be a little too on the nose, Hero Protagonist? Are you fucking kidding me? I cringed at that even when I was 16, it is only worse now.

Neal was going to quit writing after Snow Crash because he hadn't been very successful up to that point. He decided that Snow Crash was going to be kind of a "fuck it, I'm going to go as extreme as I can" last hurrah type of deal.

Back