[So] I'm starting a rogue on a new server...

Ztir

Veteran XX
And I'm wondering a couple of things for those of you rogues out there

1) To maximize DPS, I'm going combat daggers, but I've been seeing lots of different variants of the spec. I don't often pvp so what is the highest dps build you can get for combat daggers?(I PVP on my warrior with a DTC and like 28% crit/1000 unbuffed AP so no pvp talents)

2) What are the best daggers outside of MC? I've been looking around and it looks like the AV daggers are where it's at, but then again I don't know

3) Should I be trying to maximize AP as much as possibe, above crit/agi/+Hit?

4) How much +hit is relatively accesible for a guild that is just starting mc(the guild i'm in is doing ZG without much problem)

5) I've played my friend's sword rogue and it was 3 point S&D, 5 point S&D, 5 point rupture, ect, I assume it's the same way with daggers or is it different because of how much more energy backstab takes?

I'l think of some more but that's what I've come up with by now. The only experience I've had with rogues is playing my friend and I was DW fury for a little while but rogues have always intrigued me, and daggers are awesome.

And I'm wondering a couple of things for those of you rogues out there

1) To maximize DPS, I'm going combat daggers, but I've been seeing lots of different variants of the spec. I don't often pvp so what is the highest dps build you can get for combat daggers?(I PVP on my warrior with a DTC and like 28% crit/1000 unbuffed AP so no pvp talents)

2) What are the best daggers outside of MC? I've been looking around and it looks like the AV daggers are where it's at, but then again I don't know

3) Should I be trying to maximize AP as much as possibe, above crit/agi/+Hit?

4) How much +hit is relatively accesible for a guild that is just starting mc(the guild i'm in is doing ZG without much problem)

5) I've played my friend's sword rogue and it was 3 point S&D, 5 point S&D, 5 point rupture, ect, I assume it's the same way with daggers or is it different because of how much more energy backstab takes?

I'l think of some more but that's what I've come up with by now. The only experience I've had with rogues is playing my friend and I was DW fury for a little while but rogues have always intrigued me, and daggers are awesome.

1) 16/25/10, 15/31/5 in 1.12

2) FoTF and AV dagger.

3) Balance them. Stay above 800 AP and max the others, pre epics.

4) Not sure honestly, maybe 5-7% from gear?

5) SnD. That's it.

1) 16/25/10, 15/31/5 in 1.12

2) FoTF and AV dagger.

3) Balance them. Stay above 800 AP and max the others, pre epics.

4) Not sure honestly, maybe 5-7% from gear?

5) SnD. That's it.

Would swords almost be better for a guild that's just starting out? And if so, is there a better blue set then Dal'Rends?

Blue swords, not really. Maybe the one from the AQ20/ZG quest, paired with something, but I doubt it.

I like swords. Combat daggers needs BWL+ gear to rock.

1) 1.11: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=w0ecoLZGci00yzZ0xx
1) 1.12: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=n0xfoLZGcy00Ez0boV

2) Fang of the Faceless (MH), The Thunderwood Poker or Qiraji Sacrifical Dagger (OH).

3) You want to get a balance of all stats. The "sweet spot" for hp is around 4k unbuffed.

4) Well, you'll have 5% hit off of your talents alone, so that pretty much sets how much you need. I'd pick up the ZG shoulders, chestpiece and Jin set a.s.a.p. Nothing short of BWL+ can break those four pieces due to the kick ass 2 piece on Madcap and the kickass 2 piece on Jin.

5) Your friend has his sword rogue rotation bass ackwards. You NEVER rupture as it takes a debuff slot and fucks over the warlocks & mages. 3/5/5 is the correct cycle, though. For combat daggers, all you do is a 5 SnD rotation, that's it. Throw in Blade Flurry WITH SnD for maximum dps. They stack and BF's speed boost is very much a good thing on single target boss fights.

combat swords with Lifestealing MH, 15 agil off hand, Hand of justice and sword spec and maelstrom card will out dps combat daggers until you get good gear. That's what i'd shoot for if youre all about pve dps. proc build ftw

1) 1.11: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=w0ecoLZGci00yzZ0xx
1) 1.12: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=n0xfoLZGcy00Ez0boV

2) Fang of the Faceless (MH), The Thunderwood Poker or Qiraji Sacrifical Dagger (OH).

3) You want to get a balance of all stats. The "sweet spot" for hp is around 4k unbuffed.

4) Well, you'll have 5% hit off of your talents alone, so that pretty much sets how much you need. I'd pick up the ZG shoulders, chestpiece and Jin set a.s.a.p. Nothing short of BWL+ can break those four pieces due to the kick ass 2 piece on Madcap and the kickass 2 piece on Jin.

5) Your friend has his sword rogue rotation bass ackwards. You NEVER rupture as it takes a debuff slot and fucks over the warlocks & mages. 3/5/5 is the correct cycle, though. For combat daggers, all you do is a 5 SnD rotation, that's it. Throw in Blade Flurry WITH SnD for maximum dps. They stack and BF's speed boost is very much a good thing on single target boss fights.

Fuck warlocks, they can't DPS worth balls anyways.

Rupture is not a bad thing to throw in with combat swords using a 3/5/5.

And I'd really go 20/31 combat swords until you have the gear back up combat daggers. Pre-Death Dealer, combat daggers really isn't the best PvE dps. However, once you have 5/5 DD and start getting to weapons like Maex's Fang, combat daggers is godly.

4k HP is overkill like whoa for early PvE.

I had 3200 unbuffed in blues. I *just* broke 4k unbuffed this week when I got DD Chest.

A really good Blue set is:

Ravenholdt Slicer (first boss of aq20 and first boss of ZG quest)
Very slow MH

and something like Mirah's Song (Scholo Quest)

The only problem with swords endgame is there needs to be one or two more MH that you could get (like from buru/moam) or one from ZG (not the defender or hakkari MH)
You'll be stuck with the RHS til you get a BB or VK.

My general strat is 3pt SnD and then 5pt evis if time otherwise more SnD. I can only think of a few fights were i have more than a few interrupted sessions of DPS....
Garr, magmadar, broodlord, firemaw, ebonroc. Every other boss fight has interruptions which changes my SnD/Evis rotations.

I dont rupture. The DoT just isn't effective enough as it doesn't scale with weapons/AP. I only Rupture on: Ony and the room leading to fankriss.

As for rogue life, your end target is 4k HP unbuffed but its not an easy task and dont scale back too much DPS for it. In my normal raiding gear i have 398* hp. Although can get over 4k if i need to.

I'm currently rocking 1/5 DD, 3/8 BF 3/8 NS, Taut Dragon Belt.

Okay so I guess I was wrong in my initial assumption, I just really like daggers

But you guys are right unfortunatly. To put it in terms I understand I guess it's like going DW fury wothout at least 1k AP and shit. Oh well.

Okay so I guess I was wrong in my initial assumption, I just really like daggers

But you guys are right unfortunatly. To put it in terms I understand I guess it's like going DW fury wothout at least 1k AP and shit. Oh well.

Actually, now that I think about it, I specced 2h fury and my unbuffed AP is only 800~ because we had terrible drops for warriors(I have like 30 crit though :<) and the only reason I did any good(I topped damage on every boss except for chom without exception) is because when I said I like raiding, you have to understand I bring my 'A' game to every raid. I buffed myself to about 1200 AP before shout and I farm for hours upon hours for consumables like e'ko, firewater , mongoose pots, roids, ect.

Is there any way I could get away with this with my rogue? Also I should note I'm not going to spec it untill I get a really good dagger like a PB or a DFB. Sword whorin it up untill then.

I would be ashamed if a fury warrior could outdps me in any raid.

The only ones that have a chance in is early Aq40 and ZG.

No warriors have a chance in MC or BWL (or naxx so far)

Patchwerk?

Nothing can compete with Deathwish + Recklessness + Execute at 20% on a mob where pulling aggro isn't a factor.

You just cannot keep up with that kind of damage output.

well, there are a few fights where they will out DPS but over the course of a raid, they wont./

As for patchwork: haven't gotten him down yet (or tried to for that matter). we've gotten raszuvious down twice, but switch over to spiderwing after that.

Also for Warlocks not doing a lot of damage: I got out dps'ed by a warlock (finished 2nd in a MC run). we had 2 shadowpriests. with 5x shadow weaving up quickly he did mad dps.

My guild must be strange then, the top 5 in damage meters are ALWAYS Me, another warrior, a rogue(prowler), sometimes another rogue and a toss up of whoever puts out enough damage, usually a warrior

Warlocks in our guild come in the top 5 for mc, and top 10 in BWL. Depends on their build - MD/ruin isn't going to top the charts too often. But locks have a lot of important things they do that don't add to the dps chart. Your mages will want their COE. If you let their dots stay up - and keep the hunter stings off, they will do very well.

Our mages were mostly pvp mages, and the class leader was a clique-ish faggot who woulden't invite anyone new because obviously 4 mages is enough for a raiding guild.

IMO, the best mage on the server applied to us and he turned him down, dispite all of our mages(barring him) was less then medicore.

Back