East Palo Alto Cop Recommends Shooting Law Abiding Citizens by Snaps - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page East Palo Alto Cop Recommends Shooting Law Abiding Citizens
Page 1 of 6
Snaps
VeteranX
Old
1 - 02-11-2010, 20:56

East Palo Alto cop takes heat for Facebook remarks - San Jose Mercury News

Quote:
An East Palo Alto police detective is taking heat in online forums for allegedly posting comments from his Facebook account that advocate shooting Open Carry gun advocates.

Detective Rod Tuason apparently made the remarks in response to a friend's status update, which joked that gun advocates who carry unloaded weapons in plain view as a political statement should start doing so in places such as Oakland, Richmond and East Palo Alto "and not limit themselves to hoity toity cities."

"Haha, we had one guy last week try to do it!" Tuason replied, referring to a Redwood City man who strolled into the Mi Pueblo Food Center in East Palo Alto on Jan. 27 with a gun on his hip. "He got proned out and reminded where he was at and that turds will jack him for his gun in a heartbeat!"

After several more comments in the thread, Tuason apparently joked that officers should shoot the advocates, who have made recent headlines throughout the Bay Area for sipping coffee at cafes and performing other everyday acts with visible weapons.

"Sounds like you had someone practicing their 2nd amendment rights last night!" Tuason wrote. "Should've pulled the AR out and prone them all out! And if one of them makes a furtive movement ... 2 weeks off!!!"

It's unclear when Tuason made the comments, but they attracted the attention of gun rights advocates after blogger and lawyer Kevin Thomason posted a screen grab of the thread and a link to Tuason's Facebook An East Palo Alto police detective is taking heat in online forums for allegedly posting comments from his Facebook account that advocate shooting Open Carry gun advocates.

Detective Rod Tuason apparently made the remarks in response to a friend's status update, which joked that gun advocates who carry unloaded weapons in plain view as a political statement should start doing so in places such as Oakland, Richmond and East Palo Alto "and not limit themselves to hoity toity cities."

"Haha, we had one guy last week try to do it!" Tuason replied, referring to a Redwood City man who strolled into the Mi Pueblo Food Center in East Palo Alto on Jan. 27 with a gun on his hip. "He got proned out and reminded where he was at and that turds will jack him for his gun in a heartbeat!"

After several more comments in the thread, Tuason apparently joked that officers should shoot the advocates, who have made recent headlines throughout the Bay Area for sipping coffee at cafes and performing other everyday acts with visible weapons.

"Sounds like you had someone practicing their 2nd amendment rights last night!" Tuason wrote. "Should've pulled the AR out and prone them all out! And if one of them makes a furtive movement ... 2 weeks off!!!"

It's unclear when Tuason made the comments, but they attracted the attention of gun rights advocates after blogger and lawyer Kevin Thomason posted a screen grab of the thread and a link to Tuason's Facebook.

"East Palo Alto, CA Detective Roderick Tuason didn't realize that actual PRO-GUN people also read Facebook," Thomason said in the post. "Amazingly, he posted the following comment about law abiding gun owners on a friend's page. Basically, he's saying 'prone them out' (on the ground), and if anyone moves, kill them."

Thomason urged his readers to contact East Palo Alto council members to complain. Reached by phone Monday, Thomason said he wanted to comment but couldn't because he works with a nonprofit foundation that wouldn't want him to speak publicly on the matter.

California Penal Code bars carrying concealed weapons without a county-issued license but says it isn't a crime to openly display a firearm in a belt holster. However, it remains illegal for the gun to be loaded in most cases.

While residents who carry unloaded, registered guns in plain view aren't breaking any laws, police have said the practice is dangerous because officers can't tell whether a gun is loaded and what an armed person's intentions are.

Tuason didn't return a phone message seeking comment Monday. But East Palo Alto police Capt. Carl Estelle said the department's professional standards division is looking into the Facebook remarks to see if they violate any rules or policies.

"We have to be careful because they're on his own personal private Web page," Estelle said. "We have to be careful not to violate his First Amendment rights."

The department hasn't taken action against Tuason, and the detective was working in uniform Monday, he said.

"In no way are his personal comments reflective of any policies or procedures here at the department, nor does he speak for the police department," Estelle said.

Meanwhile, Tuason's Facebook comments had sparked a 45-page thread on the Web site Calguns.net Monday afternoon. A user with the handle .45shooter claiming to be either Tuason or the detective's Facebook friend who posted the original status update — the identity wasn't clear from the post — apologized to site members and said he was a Second Amendment advocate himself.

"Sometimes sacastic or off color humor should be best kept in the confines of those you can confide in," the poster wrote. "I forgot the golden rule of whos watching and listenting to you! I know i ruffled alot of feathers by making that comment! But as a person i did not mean no harm to anyone. Those that know me know my form of humor after all i'm a former Marine!"

Mark Hudson, a San Mateo resident and Second Amendment supporter, said that while he isn't part of the Open Carry movement, he saw the post on Calguns and Tuason's comments offended him.

"The reason people are open carrying is because in San Mateo County they're unable to get concealed carry permits," Hudson said. "This East Palo Alto policeman basically said he would shoot you in the back — a law-abiding citizen exercising their Second Amendment rights. ... You're going to invite law enforcement into your life when you open carry. That's why I don't do it."
We already have enough trouble remaining law abiding in this state of California with ridiculous, over the top, gun laws and inability to apply for a CCW in most urban counties, but now we have to deal with officers threatening to shoot us for exercising our 2nd amendment rights in a legal manner.

This is just another example of the growing mentality of us vs them inside the police departments of this state.

Sponsored Links
Azra3l
TWS Champion++
Contributor
Old
2 - 02-11-2010, 21:04
has this always been snaps shtick or is this a new thing

Mojo616
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 02-11-2010, 21:05
EPA is such a ****hole

Noot
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 02-11-2010, 21:07
I love ****ing your father in his ass.

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 02-11-2010, 21:07
lol 2nd amendment.

Grief
VeteranX
Old
6 - 02-11-2010, 21:07
**** off Validuz Mk.2

ScottTheWise13
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 02-11-2010, 21:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo616 View Post
EPA is such a ****hole

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
8 - 02-11-2010, 21:17
Police (no offense invatar and that other one) are mostly bad people in a lot of places.

Gangrel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
9 - 02-11-2010, 21:34
oh my GOD he made a joke

someone crucify him

owait, already done

btw open carry advocates are in the 98th percentile of moronitude

Last edited by Gangrel; 02-11-2010 at 21:39..
Teratos
Veteran5
Old
10 - 02-11-2010, 21:35
Gangrel is the other one, can an admin edit my previous post?

Gringo
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 02-11-2010, 21:47
it reads more like he was suggesting pulling a weapon on the citizens (turds) that will steal an open-carrying citizen's weapon, not the advocates. the article leaves out the middle comments and doesnt include the source.

Snaps
VeteranX
Old
12 - 02-11-2010, 22:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post
oh my GOD he made a joke

someone crucify him

owait, already done

A police officer coming in to defend his fellow comrade while trying to belittle people making a political statement? Color me shocked.

Newsflash: People would not be open carrying if we could get CCW's without having political ties.

Go to the store and buy yourself a clue.

I thought Police Officers were supposed to be held to a "higher standard" and that people felt comfortable with you touting guns around since you're "qualified". If any citizen was to make any sort of threatening remark as such would be facing serious consequences and I can only hope he loses his job as soon as possible, for everyone's safety.

Last edited by Snaps; 02-11-2010 at 22:04..
Eggi
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 02-11-2010, 22:10
YEA ALSO LETS LEGALIZE MARIJUANA YEAHHHHHHHHHHH TOKE UP MY BROTHERS!!!!!

SecretSquirrel
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 02-11-2010, 22:18
East Palo Alto is California's own little Mogadishu.

I have a great story about that place. One of my friends from high school was a CHP officer stationed there for 10 years.

Mjolnir
VeteranXV
Old
15 - 02-11-2010, 22:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post

Is this based upon your experiences or assumptions?

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
16 - 02-11-2010, 22:34
Remember that thread about police departments not hiring people that were in the 70th percentile or higher on IQ tests?

The effects are clearly shown here.

D1nonly
Veteran++
Old
17 - 02-11-2010, 22:40
Growing mentality of us vs them? Trust me, the police are not a part of you, and sure as **** not there to "protect and serve" and have not been for a long, long time.

Snaps
VeteranX
Old
18 - 02-11-2010, 22:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1nonly View Post
Growing mentality of us vs them? Trust me, the police are not a part of you, and sure as **** not there to "protect and serve" and have not been for a long, long time.
You're right. In fact the police have no legal obligation to protect you.

Gangrel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
19 - 02-11-2010, 23:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
Is this based upon your experiences or assumptions?
Anecdotes of persons whose opinions/experiences I trust. Not to mention stories relayed by the open carriers themselves. Safety issues also come to light.

Open carry of handguns is illegal in my state (thankfully).

I don't see how I made a political statement. I didn't even say I wanted the laws changed. I just stated the people that do it are dumb.

Not to mention the officer made no threat, making an observation which is not directed to any person does not give anyone cause to complain. No private citizen would be guilty of an offense in that circumstance either.

Wufei
VeteranXX
Old
20 - 02-11-2010, 23:31
I don't really follow those comments in that picture..

Could someone explain to me wtf they're talking about?

Page 1 of 6

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page East Palo Alto Cop Recommends Shooting Law Abiding Citizens

Social Website Bullshit