Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page My take on the iPad
Page 1 of 6
Scuzzle
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1 - 04-11-2010, 16:40
After playing with the iPad in-store today, and realizing that it is nothing short of a mediocre gimmick, I came to understand why it will be a huge success: the iPhone.

The iPhone was nothing short of revolutionary. It brought together ease of use, great aesthetics, and an incredible degree of versatility and functionality. With the release of the iPhone, Apple started a new era in portable technology. I own an Android phone, which is just a little device that fits in my pocket, and it has very literally changed my life, and its existence was brought on by a chain reaction started by Apple. So, with the iPhone, Apple moved to the very top of the tech pyramid, into the hearts of millions, and they secured themselves a huge spot in tech history, which is something they deserved.

Enter the iPad, a device that is, in all seriousness, a big iPhone. Except, it doesn't make phone calls. Oh, and it doesn't multitask. Also, if you try to improve the device's functionality by changing it fundamentally, Apple will just ban your app from distribution. It also doesn't take pictures. But the screen is beautiful. When it's put this way, the iPad basically sounds like a first gen iPhone that can't make phone calls but has a big screen. Of course, this would all be fine if it were a phone, but it isn't, and this is exactly why the device is worthlessly impractical. Speaking of practicality, let's look at it from a practical standpoint.

First of all, it can't fit in your pocket, which means you are forced to carry it in a bag, pouch, or backpack like a laptop. Second, it has no built in stand, which means that you will either buy a stand (making a bag, pouch, or backpack even more necessary) or you will always have it set in your lap or on a table, like a laptop. Third, the keyboard is an on-screen version of a standard qwerty-keyboard. And as has been proven by over a century's worth of consumer testing, the best way to type on a qwerty-keyboard is with your fingers on the home row. This means that, in order to type quickly and comfortably, you're left laying the thing flat on a table or in your lap, and hunching over it to see what you are typing, unlike a laptop. I could go on and on, this thing is just that impractical.

On the other hand, a laptop of comparable price will do everything the iPad can do and will be able to do many things it can't such as multitask, take pictures with a built-in webcam, and support flash material. It will have a physical keyboard, allowing for maximum comfort while watching videos, reading, talking to friends, or typing up things like long e-mails and school papers. It will be totally customizable, with no gatekeeper telling developers and users what they can and can not do. All of this, and it will be just as portable as the iPad.

See, what Apple didn't realize, and what a million unfortunate consumers will eventually realize (a huge portion of which will suppress it until it creates a tumor), is that the iPhone wasn't revolutionary just because of what it could do. It was revolutionary because when you were done using it, you put it away in your pocket, where your fat, clumsy flip phone used to go. Take that away, and your left with a computer that belongs on the shelves of a Toys R' Us, carrying the name "My First Computer".

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Sponsored Links
Durak
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 04-11-2010, 16:43
BUT IT WILL BE TO MULTITASK AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE MAYBE SORTA

AND HTMLK5 IS THE GREATEST THING EVER EVERYONE WILL USE IT ON THEIR WEBSITE!!!

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
3 - 04-11-2010, 16:44
Oh great, another iPad thread.

Durak
VeteranXV
Old
4 - 04-11-2010, 16:46
but seriously my favorite thing about the ipad is how apple supporters bash flash and support hmtl5 in droves even though they don't know the first ****ing thing about what either standard is truly about

Spexx
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 04-11-2010, 16:48

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
6 - 04-11-2010, 16:52
i've used my laptop and desktop at the same time... so?

mjoe
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 04-11-2010, 16:52
new and original thought, would read again A++++

aScotiA
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 04-11-2010, 16:52
I usually get bored to tears by wall-of-text Scuzzle posts, but I agree with this one

afex
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
9 - 04-11-2010, 17:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzle View Post
First of all, it can't fit in your pocket, which means you are forced to carry it in a bag, pouch, or backpack like a laptop. Second, it has no built in stand, which means that you will either buy a stand (making a bag, pouch, or backpack even more necessary) or you will always have it set in your lap or on a table, like a laptop. Third, the keyboard is an on-screen version of a standard qwerty-keyboard. And as has been proven by over a century's worth of consumer testing, the best way to type on a qwerty-keyboard is with your fingers on the home row. This means that, in order to type quickly and comfortably, you're left laying the thing flat on a table or in your lap, and hunching over it to see what you are typing, unlike a laptop. I could go on and on, this thing is just that impractical.
so in this paragraph, you argue that the best way to interact with your ipad is at home, while sitting on the couch with it in your lap, typing normally as you would on a normal keyboard.

i.e. one of the primary use cases the ipad was designed for

were you actually trying to say something here?

adrian ng
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 04-11-2010, 17:38
I'll buy one for my mum.

FireStarter
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 04-11-2010, 17:41
Quote:
This means that, in order to type quickly and comfortably, you're left laying the thing flat on a table or in your lap, and hunching over it to see what you are typing, unlike a laptop. I could go on and on, this thing is just that impractical.
Kinda like how you have to "hunch over" and write something when using pen and paper, yeah its such a drag.

Vanster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
12 - 04-11-2010, 17:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durak View Post
but seriously my favorite thing about the ipad is how apple supporters bash flash and support hmtl5 in droves even though they don't know the first ****ing thing about what either standard is truly about
this

fish_spum
Veteran++
Old
13 - 04-11-2010, 17:44
tl;dr

reply not new thread

prowler
VeteranX
Old
14 - 04-11-2010, 17:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexx View Post
epic fail pic but hes probably just syncing it with his macbook soooo

Scuzzle
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
15 - 04-11-2010, 17:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by afex View Post
so in this paragraph, you argue that the best way to interact with your ipad is at home, while sitting on the couch with it in your lap, typing normally as you would on a normal keyboard.

i.e. one of the primary use cases the ipad was designed for

were you actually trying to say something here?
... Perhaps you missed the running comparison to a fully featured, likely less expensive laptop capable of everything the iPad can do, plus everything it should be able to do but can't?

You should look again because I'm pretty sure I put that in there.

Scuzzle
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
16 - 04-11-2010, 17:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStarter View Post
Kinda like how you have to "hunch over" and write something when using pen and paper, yeah its such a drag.
Oh, is that the feeling they were going for?

Get the new iPad: Half as cool as a laptop, twice as cool as pencil and paper!

Machine
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 04-11-2010, 18:05
I really don't see when you would use the ipad where a laptop would be inconvenient. Especially a netbook if size is a concern.

kesh
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
18 - 04-11-2010, 18:52
i dunno, I'd like one for my bedside table. reading/surfing ****.

you guys ever sleep, then wake up and be like ****, what is the std. dev. length of a humpback whale

Machine
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 04-11-2010, 18:53
oh you mean what a $200 netbook could do?

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
20 - 04-11-2010, 18:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
oh you mean what a $200 netbook could do?
or a smartphone

Page 1 of 6

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page My take on the iPad

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
cocks , cue amram , flash , gay , i wear emo glasses , ipad , scuzzle , sideways is the new up