The Best Way to Play JJ-KK Preflop by soundandfury - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Archived Forums > Online Poker
Reload this Page The Best Way to Play JJ-KK Preflop
soundandfury
Veteran5
Old
1 - 12-16-2006, 17:17
Should I be reraising preflop with a large pocket pair or should I just flat call? If I just flat call, how do I play the flop so that if I am against a larger pair, I will come out with the minimum loss? Also, if there is a raise and a reraise preflop, should I still call the reraise with my pp? I've found that I can usually lay down JJ or QQ, but KK is very hard - especially playing against people who constantly overvalue their over pairs.

Sponsored Links
Yoda
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
2 - 12-17-2006, 01:16
Question refers to 100NL on Full Tilt

Blackfade
VeteranX
Old
3 - 12-17-2006, 05:47
then dont lay KK down? (except vs allins from super rocks) you're not going to be able to play each hand perfect but you can have a close to perfect overall strategy which would include playing KK hard vs players that overplay their over pairs? just suck it up when they have AA or get a set.

And as for how to play JJ-KK preflop? its kind of obvious to reraise these hands is it not? however, you sound very tight so your hand might be very transperent, but I assume you can get away with that at NL100, probably not vs other regulars though. just keep an close eye on the pfr% of players before you choose to 3 bet them.

[SES]BaNsHee
VeteranXV
Old
4 - 12-17-2006, 15:23
In cash games you can pick your way to play since you can always buy back in. Super aggro or super tight or in between. I raise 4x's the BB every raise. KK is a hand that you cant much get away from if an A doesnt hit, while Queens are arguable and Jacks are crap. Play Queens and Jacks with a close eye as they can cost you more cash and tourenys than playing 9T suited.

Adroit
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 12-17-2006, 17:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by [SES]BaNsHee View Post
In cash games you can pick your way to play since you can always buy back in. Super aggro or super tight or in between. I raise 4x's the BB every raise. KK is a hand that you cant much get away from if an A doesnt hit, while Queens are arguable and Jacks are crap. Play Queens and Jacks with a close eye as they can cost you more cash and tourenys than playing 9T suited.
You prefe 9T over JJ and QQ for tourney's Matt?

cacophobia
VeteranX
Old
6 - 12-17-2006, 21:48
"You prefe 9T over JJ and QQ for tourney's Matt?"

that would be ridiculous

Adroit
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 12-18-2006, 13:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophobia View Post
"You prefe 9T over JJ and QQ for tourney's Matt?"

that would be ridiculous
You know there is a "quote" button right?

cacophobia
VeteranX
Old
8 - 12-19-2006, 23:29
and

[SES]BaNsHee
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 12-20-2006, 02:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adroit View Post
You prefe 9T over JJ and QQ for tourney's Matt?
No. However you tend to be forced to overplay those cards in games where as 9t if you dont hit you fold. Typically you win small pots with JJ and QQ and lose big ones, where as with 9t you win big ones and lose small ones. Or at least this is how it usually goes for me.

cacophobia
VeteranX
Old
10 - 12-21-2006, 06:26
yes but

many small pots > 1 large pot

[SES]BaNsHee
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 12-22-2006, 07:08
I play for the large pot per hour. However I also steal a lot of blinds so 9T hits me better when it hits if someone calls. QQ I usually win a lot of smaller pots with but JJ loses me money almost every time if I dont hit a set.

Last edited by [SES]BaNsHee; 12-22-2006 at 07:10..
Capaholic
VeteranX
Old
12 - 12-23-2006, 23:37
I reraise pf if I am not first in with 1010,JJ and QQ to get information and isolate if needed. If you reraise to 9x the BB with JJ and get reraised its pretty obvious you are against bigger pair. I've called the reraise before with position and a soft player playing for either a set or an A on the flop(most players run from a flop with an A if they hold KK or QQ). Obviously spiking the set means a bigger payoff. If you get a call from your reraise, you can assume you're against overcards (AK, AQ, etc) or maybe a smaller pair(which you would want to call you anyway). If a smaller pair flops a set, just get over it and move on...the only "tell" I've ever seen for a set is a flop check-call on a trash board, followed by a lead out bet on the turn if a flush or straight draw shows up, but even that is hard to read.

I don't necessarily like running away from a flop with an A if you hold KK or QQ...I will still make a pot sized bet to keep control of the hand and see where you are. You can take down the pot if they had a smaller pair, if they had a weak ace and think they are outkicked, or even if they had a bigger pair if the A scares them.

Unless you have the stack to play with, or have good reads that you are against a smaller pair and Arag, if you get a raise and reraise preflop I would just fold anything up to JJ, and sometimes QQ. You also have to consider if you are gapped and the intial raiser may come back over the top, and then you for sure cannot call with anything.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Archived Forums > Online Poker
Reload this Page The Best Way to Play JJ-KK Preflop

Social Website Bullshit