Outer Wilds

Rev_Night

Welches
Veteran XV
I just finished playing Other Wilds the other day. No, not The Outer Worlds, the Obsidian/Fallout game. This game is a bit on the indie side, but altogether extremely well thought out. You play in 22 minute intervals (unless you die or kill yourself), from the semi-start of the game until your sun goes nova. You need to explore first your world, then later the planets in your system, as you unravel the mystery of 1) ruins of old visiting aliens, 2) how you are now stuck in this timeloop that no one else seems to notice, and 3) how to save everyone from this groundhogs day of death.

At first it seems overwhelming to try and cram the entire game into 22 minute segments, but after a while, you start to be fine with it. You go into each segment with a defined purpose ("I am only exploring ruin A on planet C") and you will be there until you die. Going in with this mentality takes alot of the pressure off really. All the data/research you unlock is saved on your in-game diary which acts as your linkages across these time intervals.

There were two puzzles that were unnecessarily obtuse ( how to get past the Angler fish  and  how to get into the Ash Twin Project ) but other than that, this was a really solid game. I think I got it on a steam sale for like $15, and it lasted me a good 25 hours.

I recommend.

You won't be disappointed. It's pretty cool at the end when you know everything that you can beat the game in like 15 minutes

Back