Is it too late to get into this game?

Whoops, confused mogs' emo whine for barry's (and he didnt even give one!)

Like I said, getting lvl3 in alot of the support, learning, fitting (to cram more items on your ship) and other crap doesnt take long at all. <10% of the TOTAL TRAINING TIME from 0-5 of a skill. What the asshats with multiple years have against you is about 10% more to XYZ skill than you.

All those additional skills to 4 or 5 do add up in the big picture, but you'd be surprised how little it does in focused activities like shooting your guns in a fleet fight, mining, ratting, going fast, etc.

Where that additional 5-10% more comes into play is in solo fights (dont happen much anymore) or, maybe, similarly fitted small fleets.

Other than that, you'll find yourself pretty close to most others if you're flying the right ship (Tier 2 Battlecruisers are very attainable to new people AND offer firepower that you'd normally see in t2 ships)

But hey, the adventure is in the journey, not the destination. EVE forces you approach 'exping' this way because to train all the skills in game to lvl5 would take over 25 years in real time, and that'd make any traditional MMO grinder paint their walls with brain matter.

there are also lots of new people starting eve all the time so it's not like other mmo's where if you come in late you'll find yourself completely alone until you get to the higher lvls.

I'd say the learning curve is the largest deterrent for new players rather than low xp. Learning the strengths and weaknesses of every ship, damage types, tank types, ewar, plus the counters to common setups can be daunting. And that's just the pvp side of things. Not to mention the industrial, economic and political side of things.

I've been playing for around a year and a half now and still learn something every time I log in. If you dig steep learning curve games you'll enjoy EVE. If not, well...

Heh, I love when I have to ask or double check with corpmates about moving my carrier or POS shit...3.5 years and I still dont know shit.

the depth of EVE is what makes it both intriguing and daunting to me

I want to love the game, as I drool at the thought of any MMORPG tha isn't fucking "level" based these days - but the learning curve always fucks me after a day in the trial. I need to stop being so A.D.D. and give it my full attention.

Back