[Guitar] Paganini Caprice No. 16

Felonius

Veteran XV
I recorded a take of Paganini's Caprice No. 16 on my steel-string acoustic. For anyone who cares, this arrangement was played with strict alternate picking. This is pretty much the violin arrangement, except that notes are played on the lowest frets possible to get the best tone out of the acoustic guitar. I played it safe with a slightly slower than 'proper' tempo because I didn't want to have to do 100 takes. :D When I get a camcorder soon I'll re-record this along with some classical guitar pieces.

I can post the Guitar Pro tab if anyone's interested.

Paganini Caprice No. 16

Last edited:
Thanks dudes. I'm going to work on recording some tunes on my nylon string today. I'm a lot more proficient with a pick than I am with my fingers, but I'm getting there slowly. Classical requires so much more discipline than electric and steel string acoustic...

Last year my classical guitar teacher (who is a monster) pointed out to me that I use too much left hand pressure, don't keep my left wrist straight, and that I didn't follow through with my right hand fingers. This is after I taught guitar for a few years! I got depressed :mecry: about my guitar playing for a while and focused on composition instead. I picked up my nylon string again in the last few months and discovered that those bad habits I developed from playing electric were somehow gone! (After 9 months of barely touching a guitar.)

After starting from ground zero on classical (and struggling to sight read), making sure those bad habits didn't creep back in, my electric/acoustic left hand technique improved quite a bit. Everyone who plays classical says as much; I guess I thought I'd already hit a plateau and couldn't get any faster or more accurate with my left hand no matter how hard I practiced...

Cliff's: Playing classical guitar can help you get past barriers in your left hand technique, when nothing else seems to work.

Last edited:
Back