[T3] Shrikes? by Adroit - Page 3 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T3] Shrikes?
Page 3 of 5
Thread Tools
Adroit
VeteranXV
Old
41 - 03-24-2003, 00:08
Reply With Quote
u jumped str8 up out of it, and scout usually would explode.
 
Adroit is offline
 
Sponsored Links
Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
42 - 03-24-2003, 00:09
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve
because when you jumped out you stopped dead in midair
So that sounds like a fine solution
 
Thrax Panda is offline
 
Adroit
VeteranXV
Old
43 - 03-24-2003, 00:09
Reply With Quote
agreed thrax.
 
Adroit is offline
 
Evil Light Bulb
VeteranX
Old
44 - 03-24-2003, 00:09
Reply With Quote
In T1 you just popped out, no speed inherited.

People saying the shrike does not take skill in T2 are ****ing dumb. Personally, I'd like to see player controlled homing missles taken out in favor of letting people disc/chain/snipe a shrike pilot. A skilled pilot will still be able to keep himself safe and a skilled player will know when to attak.

I think ramming shuold have more of an impact on a shrike but not to the point of demolishing it in one strike.
 
Evil Light Bulb is offline
 
ZProtoss
10,000++
Contributor
Old
45 - 03-24-2003, 00:10
Reply With Quote
Why would you need a solution to it? With classic speeds its already balanced by other gameplay elements. The only times anyone will grab the flag and get back in their own shrike is if the defense is horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax Panda
So that sounds like a fine solution
 
ZProtoss is offline
 
SterIO
VeteranXV
Old
46 - 03-24-2003, 00:12
Reply With Quote
Please, when you think of T2 think of its current state. Right now vehicles add to the game's depth significantly and generally require skill to use effectively. I don't think there is a single map now in rotation on the classic ladder that is won or lost based on vehicles. They help your team if you're good with them, but it's also easy to develop tactics that work around vehicles if they're a weakness for your team.
 
SterIO is offline
 
Evil Light Bulb
VeteranX
Old
47 - 03-24-2003, 00:13
Reply With Quote
In classic jumping straight out of a shrike into a flag grab is much rarer than it was in the other gameplay types. Simply maintain the reward of a good route and dj being > than a shrike eject, but don't punish a good shriker who is making a heads up play and grabbing off the stand to prevent a cap.
 
Evil Light Bulb is offline
 
verve
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
48 - 03-24-2003, 00:13
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax Panda
So that sounds like a fine solution
possibly

what i would suggest is to not completely eliminate the speed when you jump out of a vehicle, but to tone it down a bit. this would prevent 'fast' shrike capping, but also help chasers that are in shrikes that jump out to disc, nade, cg, whatever the capper, without making them completely stop in midair while the capper skis away.

i dont know about anyone else, but on maps like harvester, i use the shrike for a backcap by jetting straight at it, but behind the stand, jumping out of the shrike and djing - gives better speed than flat out jumping out and grabbing. this works on a LOT of maps also. it's not exactly like shrike capping, but it does the trick. having the shrike completely deadstop you in midair if you jump out would play a part in those kind of caps as well.
 
verve is offline
 
R@ND0M
VeteranX
Old
49 - 03-24-2003, 00:22
Reply With Quote
I never said Shrike took no skill to fly.

I said ramming was retardedly easy, and shields made it overpowered against anybody without an anti-air weaponry.

I know ZProtoss is supposedly good with the shrike in T2, I also know he was a nobody in T1.
I won't bring up these facts in this argument, because I'm debating that over-powered Vehicles server no purpose in a First Person Shooter.
While ZProtoss is trying to tell me it requires skill to ram somebody, completely changing the subject to a pissing contest over conflicting opinions on which game is better. His rhetoric replies having nothing to do with the argument at hand.

If you were outstanding with vehicles at both games, Your opinion would bear more weight.
 
R@ND0M is offline
 
SimoHayha
VeteranXV
Old
50 - 03-24-2003, 00:24
Reply With Quote
bottom line...

**** t2

Shrike caps = no skills
 
SimoHayha is offline
 
R@ND0M
VeteranX
Old
51 - 03-24-2003, 00:25
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZProtoss
Why would you need a solution to it? With classic speeds its already balanced by other gameplay elements. The only times anyone will grab the flag and get back in their own shrike is if the defense is horrible.
I heard this exact comment in regards to the Tribes 2 release around two years ago.
With the T2 players saying things like "wah", "you're afraid to learn something new" or "learn to adapt".

hehe, the irony.
 
R@ND0M is offline
 
ZProtoss
10,000++
Contributor
Old
52 - 03-24-2003, 00:27
Reply With Quote
Lets disect your pathetic knowledge of the game piece by piece shall we? For starters I never played T1 at all. I went completely from RTS games to T2 (when t2 first came out). Second of all, ramming is not retardedly easy. If it was retardely easy there'd be more than a few people in the game that could ram consistantly at high speeds. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

My argument was that if you thought ramming was so easy, then you should actually try it yourself. You wouldn't be effective at all, and you most likely wouldn't hit anything that was moving. At least not with any consistancy. If you weren't a complete dumbass and if you had some aspect of knowledge at all, your opinion might mean more than dog****.


Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ND0M
I never said Shrike took no skill to fly.

I said ramming was retardedly easy, and shields made it overpowered against anybody without an anti-air weaponry.

I know ZProtoss is supposedly good with the shrike in T2, I also know he was a nobody in T1.
I won't bring up these facts in this argument, because I'm debating that over-powered Vehicles server no purpose in a First Person Shooter.
While ZProtoss is trying to tell me it requires skill to ram somebody, completely changing the subject to a pissing contest over conflicting opinions on which game is better. His rhetoric replies having nothing to do with the argument at hand.

If you were outstanding with vehicles at both games, Your opinion would bear more weight.
 
ZProtoss is offline
 
Synth
VeteranXV
Old
53 - 03-24-2003, 00:30
Reply With Quote
watch a zprotoss demo, then try to duplicate that. Very few can do it.
 
Synth is offline
 
Evil Light Bulb
VeteranX
Old
54 - 03-24-2003, 00:33
Reply With Quote
NOBODY GOOD RELIES ON SHRIKES TO CAP

A.) A skilled capper can MDisk shrikes.

B.) There are very few people in T2 Classic that are actually successful at shrike ramming consistantly. Need proof? Go into any pub and see how many times GOOD cappers are killed by one of the hundreds of retarded sniping LD that never chase vs how many times they are rammed by a good shriker.

C.) If shrike ramming cappers in Tribes 2 were retardedly easy there would be hundreds of threads on the TWL saying so by the poeple ACTUALLY PLAYING TRIBES 2.

D.) Yes imho the shrike's shields should take more impact damage.

E.) The gameplay variety is raised immesurably with limited yet USEFUL vehicles.

F.) I am certain ZP could shrike well in T1 if he ever bothered playing it.
 
Evil Light Bulb is offline
 
R@ND0M
VeteranX
Old
55 - 03-24-2003, 00:49
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZProtoss
Lets disect your pathetic knowledge of the game piece by piece shall we? For starters I never played T1 at all. I went completely from RTS games to T2 (when t2 first came out). Second of all, ramming is not retardedly easy. If it was retardely easy there'd be more than a few people in the game that could ram consistantly at high speeds. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

My argument was that if you thought ramming was so easy, then you should actually try it yourself. You wouldn't be effective at all, and you most likely wouldn't hit anything that was moving. At least not with any consistancy. If you weren't a complete dumbass and if you had some aspect of knowledge at all, your opinion might mean more than dog****.
OK.

You were in a T2 tribe that was ****ty at Tribes 1, my bad.

As long as Classic physics haven't changed since the final release, I had no trouble ramming players (who were still floaty, regardless of their speed).
I can use your argument against you, in saying that because you haven't played Tribes 1, you have no conception of the speed Tribes 1 players move at, and any idea of the physics in the game to base your facts on. Making all your comments regarding the game completely void.

Let's look at it like this:

Vir was good at Tribes 1, he had no trouble adapting to the T2 shrike, and realising how powerful it was, using it to his/his teams advantage.

Ramming players is hard, in your opinion based on the one game you play (Out of the two). You have more skills using a shrike than just ramming though, no doubt.

I found no difficulty ramming players in the short period I played Classic. Possibly because I already had 3 years experience using a T1 scout (with similar, if not faster speeds) and ramming players. While I could see Blastering players and flying Shrikes through/under objects require some skill, more-so to somebody who has never touched a vehicle before.

Not many of the T1 players apart from 5150 saw how valuable vehicles were in Tribes 2 in 'the early days' (More important than being a good individual player so it seemed). So while everybody else was busy honing their individual 'player' skills, 5150 was learning to use the vehicles, and exploit the more powerful ones to their advantage. So you have less people using the vehicles, thinking this is a 'First Person Shooter', and practicing their positions.


I'll repeat what I said earlier.
If somebody who were good with Shrike/Scout in both games were to come here and tell me it's hard (lmao) to ram players. Your opinion would be worth alot more.
I have very high standards, and with my experience in Tribes 2, it's hard to blaster people with the Shrike, but not hard to ram them.

You think it's hard to ram, Nothing I say is going to change this.
I think it's easy to ram, Nothing you say is going to change this.

Understand ?

How about we get back to what we were actually talking about before your ego-meter was threatened..

edit: For this other idiot.
There is no shrike in T1, they're different vehicles, with different physics, and different weapons.

Until that day comes, his opinion means just as much as yours does to me. (Hint: It's a number often referred to as 'nil').
 
R@ND0M is offline
 
Last edited by R@ND0M; 03-24-2003 at 00:51..
Vermouth
VeteranXV
Old
56 - 03-24-2003, 01:08
Reply With Quote
regardless of how the piloting skills transfer from T1 to T2, ramming moving players in a t2 classic match situation is NOT easy.

heh.. if you think you can do it without any probs, by all means, make a demo of you doing it on Rapture East (or some other reputable T2 classic server) and PROVE it.

ZP would completely destroy you in a shrike. He knows what he's talking about.
 
Vermouth is offline
 
R@ND0M
VeteranX
Old
57 - 03-24-2003, 01:11
Reply With Quote
Yes, because I'm arguing over whether I'm better in a Shrike than he is, aren't I..?
 
R@ND0M is offline
 
Vermouth
VeteranXV
Old
58 - 03-24-2003, 01:14
Reply With Quote
your argument suggests that you know more about shriking than ZP (or else you wouldn't contradict him). Isn't it more likely that he's correct in this case, since he's by far the better shriker?
 
Vermouth is offline
 
jsut
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
59 - 03-24-2003, 01:16
Reply With Quote
no, you are arguing that ramming is easy, which it's not. ZP being a better shriker than you (since you don't seem to even play T2 anymore) is just incidental.

But yeah, this was about capping from shrikes, which hardly anyone ever does anymore, and no one really seems to care less about anyway.

As for vehicles in T3, i'd like to see something half way between the shrike and the scout. Ramming 8 million players without hurting your vehicle is kind of dumb, i'd like to see the amount of damage infliced to the vehicle increased such that you can't just run over packs of LD and expect to fly away. Hitting 3 or 4 players in rapid succession should IMO destroy your scout/shrike.
 
jsut is offline
 
R@ND0M
VeteranX
Old
60 - 03-24-2003, 01:17
Reply With Quote
Care to point out where I know more about Shriking than him?

Oops, you can't because I didn't say that :-)
That's like saying "Yeah I'm good at shooting people in the back, while they're traveling in the opposite direction"

Can I get some more (A) ^ in here
If he's so good at shriking, why can't you beat Rapture?
 
R@ND0M is offline
 
Page 3 of 5
Reply


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T3] Shrikes?

Social Website Bullshit


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


AGENT: CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) / Y
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 20:30.