Failure, challenge, and the decline of WoW

Of course, nothing lasts forever. But the fact that WoW has been so immensly popular for so long is kind of minebottling.

I resubbed last month or so, played for a week or two, and now my subscription is canceled again. Game is definitely in the decline.

:(

Yeah you know shit is going south when there's no dialog about tomorrow's patch.. been checking out the sw:tor beta.. not sure why I'm enjoying it as much as I am, in my mind I'm screaming "this feels like more of the same" but I'm enjoying it.. guess I'm a star wars nut, and who knew I actually like some of the storylines

That new MMO smell.

Today I had a friend explain to me how SWtoR is different from from WoW, how all the classes have their own unique resource systems. From the sounds of it they still mostly use analogues of rage/energy/mana.

I suppose it's nice being unburdened from the gear inflation of WoW and huge fucking numbers in a new MMO, but really how is SWtoR different from WoW mechanically? I haven't received any straight answers on that.

Yeah you know shit is going south when there's no dialog about tomorrow's patch.. been checking out the sw:tor beta.. not sure why I'm enjoying it as much as I am, in my mind I'm screaming "this feels like more of the same" but I'm enjoying it.. guess I'm a star wars nut, and who knew I actually like some of the storylines

Actually, you like it because the gameplay is good. The storylines are actually cool. If you liked KOTOR, this is on a massive scale. You get to do your single player as well as participate in that actual world.

Actually, you like it because the gameplay is good. The storylines are actually cool. If you liked KOTOR, this is on a massive scale. You get to do your single player as well as participate in that actual world.

Exactly. Other than 2 Elite quests, I haven't even really realized that I am playing an MMO. I just am enjoying my storyline and leveling. Now I'm only lvl 11 so take it with a grain of salt, but the polish alone is just remarkable. This will never *kill* wow because people simply have too much invested; but it so far should be successful and popular.

Although sometimes I try to be a bastard and it still rewards me with Light Force so maybe I am not as evil as I thought.

That new MMO smell.

Today I had a friend explain to me how SWtoR is different from from WoW, how all the classes have their own unique resource systems. From the sounds of it they still mostly use analogues of rage/energy/mana.

I suppose it's nice being unburdened from the gear inflation of WoW and huge fucking numbers in a new MMO, but really how is SWtoR different from WoW mechanically? I haven't received any straight answers on that.

There isn't, the controls are exactly like WoW. The stats seem to do about the same stuff though the gear is capable of being modified (the weapons anyway). The main reasons people are all over this is...

1. They are Star Wars fanboys.
2. They are Bioware fanboys.
3. They are really tired of WoW and hope this will be the "next big one".

Also helps TORs case the WoW community is ultimately shit now. Then again TORs could devolve into that in time, can't really tell until the "honeymoon phase" of the initial release wears off. Though given how much material they are fronting up could be longer than usual.

That new MMO smell.

I can speak a little on the energy system from the Agent I played on the weekend. From what I saw, energy regen scales based on how much energy you have pooled. If you're completely empty, regen will be at it's slowest. From a DPS point of view your output is meant to be higher if manage your energy to keep it around half full.

The heat system is the same, but opposite. As you build up heat, it cools down slower. So spamming skills gets you into a bit of trouble.

It gives the feel that DPSers and Tanks have to be 'mana efficient' like the healers in TBC. What I like about this, is the PvP implications. The players who do better are the ones that manage their rotation smarter, rather than blow CC/CDs and spam spam spam.

Also keep in mind each role has a different resource based on what class it is. IA healers use energy, while Inqs use force. (force btw is a complete mirror of mana. it's the one resource that currently has no regen stipulations).

---
I'm not suggestion this game is vastly different from WoW. RIFT also had that 'new MMO smell' where the game felt like it had enough newness to not feel exactly like WoW. That newness wore off as soon as you reached max level and found yourself grinding heroics for raid-entry gear. I think where RIFT and TOR gain the most appeal isn't that they aren't like WoW or better than Wow - but rather they're more like Vanilla WoW; which I know a lot of people wish they could play again.

What I look forward to is to PvP once again without cross-server queues. So far, I've seen vendors that sell PvP items that require both BG tokens and open world tokens to buy - forcing players to do hillsbrad foothills style PvP at level 50. I miss the community feel that WoW had in vanilla PvP. Once cross-realm queues opened up; WoW's BGs became speed dating where you'd interact with people for 10 minutes then never see them again.

Last edited:
Actually, if anything kills WoW, it's this. The time is actually now. There is nothing invested in WoW. Your 10,000 gold used to mean a lot, means a little now. So does 30k gold. Your items change EVERY few weeks in between patches. Your old items aren't nearly as good as new. Remember how long MC items lasted? BWL items weren't THAT much better. WoW is killing itself by making every single accomplishment mean very little, just another Achievement checked off in a list of thousands, with lots added every patch.

ToR is nothing special, unfortunately, but the benefit of it is that it may pressure Blizzard to provide content on a more timely basis. I think some of the biggest issues of WoW isn't necessarily the difficulty [it's difficult as hell on my server because our talent is gone, and even forming a raid is challenging], but because WoW fails to provide new content in a timely manner. Essentially Cataclysm was 8 months worth of the shitty T11, followed by 5 months of T12. People get really bored during those timeperiods when they're just forced to do daily quests and don't really have any other options in the game. The casual side gets ignored too, because they need new dungeons [and personally I've always enjoyed new dungeons also, Well of Eternity might be a cakewalk but it's an awesome cakewalk]. Then they stuff us with repetitive daily quests and linear character progression [this is something that bugs me because I love the unexpected progression from exponential progression].

They also have the gear levels screwed up imo:

I would have it go

D1, LFR1, D2, LFR2, R1, D3, LFR3, R2 [and so forth]. This method of progression somewhat preserves progression, while allowing casual players the chance to experience raid content. I would also increase the difficulty of the LFR because that was insulting, and wasn't fun; and casual players do not mean bad players.

Gear itself is screwed up too. PVE gear used to lead to PVP dominance. PVE gear now leads to standing in Orgrimmar, while PVP gear leads to more PVP gear. The correct way of doing it is PVE and PVP gear both leading towards the same goal - Warcraft. Right now one just leads to standing around afk and the other to more pvp in the same areas; the same arenas and battlegrounds, rather than experience some overall scheme.

Once they are able to give players something to do other than reputation grind, daily quests, or raids, it will be a more enjoyable experience, but they have to do it in a timely manner, and between ICC and today they haven't been timely at all.

As far as ToR it's overrated and overhyped.

This post reflects my views on ToR very closely.

DeaconX Reviews SWTOR (5 months of testing) - General Discussion - Star Wars: The Old Republic Forums at MMORPG.com

Last edited:
Actually, if anything kills WoW, it's this. The time is actually now. There is nothing invested in WoW. Your 10,000 gold used to mean a lot, means a little now. So does 30k gold. Your items change EVERY few weeks in between patches. Your old items aren't nearly as good as new. Remember how long MC items lasted? BWL items weren't THAT much better. WoW is killing itself by making every single accomplishment mean very little, just another Achievement checked off in a list of thousands, with lots added every patch.

i never thought any of this mattered to the majority of people playing

seeing and beating new things is what i always thought mattered

so your argument sucks

and have you played t:a?

NPC: "Do you know anything about those explosions we've been hearing?"
Player: "I don't know. They must have been explosions."

:lol:

i never thought any of this mattered to the majority of people playing

seeing and beating new things is what i always thought mattered

so your argument sucks

and have you played t:a?

While new things to kill are cool, if it's done the same old way(4.3 is a mirror WOTLK:ICC imo), the player base gets burned out quickly. I quit raiding Firelands the first week because it was boring and not challenging. Yeah I could have done Hard Modes, but the guilds I've been in are just as boring. I haven't even started playing 4.3 yet because I don't want to be done with it in a month.

That's problem with WoW. It's too easy to burn through content. And I'm not talking about gating quests/raids. That's another crappy subject.

Back