[MLB] 2017 Playoffs

Balls
It would seem that in a league where we are already dealing with a juiced baseball, we might be dealing with an entirely new baseball controversy in the World Series. In this case, we aren’t necessarily talking juiced, but slick. It seems to be enough of a difference that Lance McCullers can tell the difference between the World Series ball and a standard one blindfolded.

Historic World Series Home Run Rate may be Result of Slicker Baseballs

They say there is a new problem: the baseballs used in the World Series are slicker than the ones used in the regular season because of a difference in the grain of the leather. The slicker World Series balls particularly make it hard to throw a good slider, they claim.
“We had a well-pitched game tonight from both sides,” Astros pitching coach Brent Strom said after Los Angeles won Game 4, 6-2. “I’m not taking anything away from the players. I just want to know why? Why in the world would the baseballs in the World Series be different? Because you can see the difference. You can feel it. I don’t understand it at all.”

i'm p sure world series games aren't suppose to end with football scores

hey what do i know

morrow coming in to pitch a home run, single, double, homerun in 5 pitches was something though eh

you are both assholes bc you're talking past each other

but trap you're "wrong" here

It would seem that in a league where we are already dealing with a juiced baseball, we might...

KC is talking about juiced balls, something that has been happening since before the WS

you're talking about something that is more recent, about which he doesn't care

get on the same page faggots

We are talking about the increase in homeruns during the world series. A juiced ball that has been in play for 2 years or a new issue... slick balls? What is different?

I am talking relevant shit here.. KC is just being a dick and so are you

ps Finish reading the quote

It would seem that in a league where we are already dealing with a juiced baseball, we might be dealing with an entirely new baseball controversy in the World Series. In this case, we aren’t necessarily talking juiced, but slick

The statistical increase in homeruns started two years ago at the end of 2014

It's been studied by people on baseball reference and fangraphs

(Analytical sites)

The world series is a small sample size and we don't know if the slick ball has anything to do with it

We do know for a fact the core changed in 2014 and it lead to a dramatic increase

one picture and one dude's opinion doesn't establish it as fact

the MLB publically stating the cores of their balls were changed establishes fact

How long ago? If it has been over 2 years.. is it juiced anymore? Did they re-juice for the series? 2 goliath pitching staffs and hitters..turns into homerun fest and pitchers are saying they can't grip the ball but okay.. I give.. juiced baseball

We are talking about the increase in homeruns during the world series. A juiced ball that has been in play for 2 years or a new issue... slick balls? What is different?

I am talking relevant shit here.. KC is just being a dick and so are you

no, YOU are talking about an increase in home runs during the WS

KC is talking about the increase since 2014 (or some other timepoint prior to the WS)

there might also be a slick ball issue or something else that is either causing or not causing an additional increase during the WS, but KC doesn't give a fuck about that and wasn't talking about it

Okay.. so long as we agree that KC is right about a juiced baseballs a few years ago and I am right about slick baseballs causing the pitches to be unable to throw sliders in the ws.. and that has contributed more than a juiced baseball to the homerun fest

Okay.. so long as we agree that KC is right about a juiced baseballs a few years ago and I am right about a slick baseballs causing the pitches to be unable to throw sliders in the ws.. and that has contributed more than a juiced baseball to the homerun fest

i don't agree with the last statement unless there is a data set indicating a strong correlation

Okay we don't have data yet.. all we have are the pitchers opinions in the news.. I am going by that. This isn't something I have control of or made up

Okay we don't have data yet.. all we have are the pitchers opinions in the news.. I am going by that. This isn't something I have control of or made up

sounds good

i don't like to jump to conclusions

this is akin to someone claiming global warming exists because he has noticed his town has been hotter all year long than it's been before and there have been more people burning leaves and trash

sounds good

i don't like to jump to conclusions

this is akin to someone claiming global warming exists because he has noticed his town has been hotter all year long than it's been before and there have been more people burning leaves and trash

no.. this is a baseball argument.

I know right

Pitchers and coaches from both the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros have claimed the World Series baseballs are slicker than the regular-season baseballs.

Pitchers have complained about the grip on the World Series balls, saying the surface is slicker.

MLB said there are only minor differences in the balls and that they are made and held to the same standard as the balls used during the regular season.

Dodgers, Astros claim World Series balls are too slick - Business Insider

After a Game 5 for the History Books, the Astros and Dodgers Wonder About Those Slick Baseballs

Back