Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page plastic bags must die.
Page 3 of 6
dionysus
VeteranX
Old
41 - 07-04-2008, 16:24
Don't forget about the gigantic blob of plastic in the pacific ocean that all plastic bags gravitate too.

Has something to do with gyres.

Quote:
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch has been known for over two decades. The center of the North Pacific Gyre is a relatively stationary region of the North Pacific Ocean, an area often referred to as the horse latitudes. The circular rotation around it draws waste material in and has led to the accumulation of flotsam and other debris. The plastic debris gathers in concentrations of one million pieces of plastic per square mile in some areas. While historically this debris has biodegraded, the gyre is now accumulating vast quantities of plastic and marine debris. Rather than biodegrading, plastic photodegrades, disintegrating in the ocean into smaller and smaller pieces. These pieces, still polymers, are eventually the size of individual molecules, which are still not easily digested.[1] Some plastics photodegrade into other pollutants.

Last edited by dionysus; 07-04-2008 at 16:27..
Sponsored Links
SirBatesAlot
VeteranX
Old
42 - 07-04-2008, 16:24
I don't believe in recycling.

sl500
VeteranXV
Old
43 - 07-04-2008, 16:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooBySnaCk View Post
quoting Carlin "how do you know we are not here to produce plastic bags" the earth will survive regardless when we are long gone
No disrespect to George Carlin but in the meantime, we can't spend time on a river and come away with remembering how beautiful it was. Instead, we floated through a garbage dump.

Gil
VeteranXV
Old
44 - 07-04-2008, 16:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl500 View Post
No disrespect to George Carlin but in the meantime, we can't spend time on a river and come away with remembering how beautiful it was. Instead, we floated through a garbage dump.
I've been to lots of rivers and parks. I never see trash

maybe you should get out of the least coast. Come out to the best coast, where the population density is way lower.

DeadlyRabbit
VeteranXV
Old
45 - 07-04-2008, 16:46
The grocery store I shop at (sobeys) sells cloth bags for 99 cents, and if the bag ever rips they will replace it with a new one. The bags hold about 6 regular grocery bags worth and they are easier on the hands when carrying them, and you can set them down without having them spill all over because they have a flat bottom.

I am only disappointed I didn't buy some earlier.

Quote:
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch has been known for over two decades. The center of the North Pacific Gyre is a relatively stationary region of the North Pacific Ocean, an area often referred to as the horse latitudes. The circular rotation around it draws waste material in and has led to the accumulation of flotsam and other debris. The plastic debris gathers in concentrations of one million pieces of plastic per square mile in some areas. While historically this debris has biodegraded, the gyre is now accumulating vast quantities of plastic and marine debris. Rather than biodegrading, plastic photodegrades, disintegrating in the ocean into smaller and smaller pieces. These pieces, still polymers, are eventually the size of individual molecules, which are still not easily digested.[1] Some plastics photodegrade into other pollutants.

This how bad it is...

Quote:
Already, British researchers have discovered that in a ***8220;typical sample of the sandy material gathered***8221; along shorelines, one-quarter of the weight may be plastic particles.
Source http://www.popsci.com/environment/ar...us-we-imagined

Last edited by DeadlyRabbit; 07-04-2008 at 16:56..
crompton jd
Veteran++
Old
46 - 07-04-2008, 16:58
Go cleanup if you feel so strongly.

Last edited by crompton jd; 07-04-2008 at 17:07..
GiftOfTheGame
VeteranXV
Old
47 - 07-04-2008, 17:21
http://www.vbs.tv/shows.php?show=1154&source=sc

turdburgler
Veteran++
Old
48 - 07-04-2008, 17:24
all i use is cloth bags

it's not that ****ing hard to remember a bag

Code4
BP's Pimpx
Contributor
Old
49 - 07-04-2008, 17:26
so has anyone found these living plastic bags that need to be killed yet?

sl500
VeteranXV
Old
50 - 07-04-2008, 17:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I've been to lots of rivers and parks. I never see trash

maybe you should get out of the least coast. Come out to the best coast, where the population density is way lower.
Where would be the best place to go for a long weekend that's close to Seattle, or some other major airport, where we could rent a car and drive to?

Alekhine
VeteranX
Old
51 - 07-04-2008, 18:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_CRC View Post
Does anyone actually use cloth bags for grocery shopping? I don't, cause it seems like a pain in the ass, but after seeing this, I really think I should start.
Yes. I do. They are stronger, and I don't end up with more worthless plastic. And it's no pain in the ass at all. It's just a little Trader Joe's sack. Been doing this for years and years.

Gil
VeteranXV
Old
52 - 07-04-2008, 18:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl500 View Post
Where would be the best place to go for a long weekend that's close to Seattle, or some other major airport, where we could rent a car and drive to?
The place to start for such a trip is to pay the $10, then search the forums for the 5 threads done in the past month on the same topic.

Gil
VeteranXV
Old
53 - 07-04-2008, 18:39
The hardest part about using those cloth bags is in 2 ways:

1. remembering to put them back into your car
2. remembering to carry them back into the store.

Several times I've had to hide my cart and run back to the parking lot to get my bags. It's a little embarrassing, but it only took about 3 or 4 times for me to start remembering.

Bad_CRC
Linux Tribes++
Contributor
Old
54 - 07-04-2008, 19:52
I have enough trouble remembering to bring my plastic bags back to recycle them at the store, but I think I'd learn eventually to use the cloth bags.

They are still 2.50-3 bucks each here, That's over my threshold, once they hit a buck a piece then I'll buy. You'd think the stores would want to sell them cheap, cause it will save them money on plastic or paper bags.

Acerbity
VeteranX
Old
55 - 07-04-2008, 19:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makasuro View Post
I for one welcome our new polyvinyl chloride, polyethylene, polymethyl and methacrylate overlords.
you forgot polycarbonate... bisphenol-A FOR EVERYONE (whether they want it or not)

fartiusstinkius
VeteranXV
Old
56 - 07-04-2008, 22:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
The hardest part about using those cloth bags is in 2 ways:

1. remembering to put them back into your car
2. remembering to carry them back into the store.

refu
Several times I've had to hide my cart and run back to the parking lot to get my bags. It's a little embarrassing, but it only took about 3 or 4 times for me to start remembering.
Why not just decline bags and put your stuff straight in the cart after paying and then just take the stuff to your car? Then you can put it in the cloth bag there. Why would you hide your cart? That makes no sense.

TheGrudge
VeteranXV
Old
57 - 07-04-2008, 22:59
I didn't read this thread, but I imagined some really angry guy stabbing a bunch of plastic bags with a butcher knife and it made me smile. Thanks.

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
58 - 07-04-2008, 23:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code4 View Post
so has anyone found these living plastic bags that need to be killed yet?
I don't know about bags but when I see bubble wrap I pop the **** out of it!

Hobo Wino
VeteranXV
Old
59 - 07-04-2008, 23:15
me and my roommate use a giant hockey bag, it works for the most part, just have to put the soft stuff on top

Gil
VeteranXV
Old
60 - 07-04-2008, 23:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fartiusstinkius View Post
Why not just decline bags and put your stuff straight in the cart after paying and then just take the stuff to your car? Then you can put it in the cloth bag there. Why would you hide your cart? That makes no sense.
I don't want to deal with the cart after I leave the store

I hide my cart because I don't want overzealous store employees to discover it and return my intended purchases to their shelves.

Page 3 of 6

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page plastic bags must die.

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
badmofo is faggot , faggot environmentalist , free gon , pollution , shortsightedness