[ITT] We spend the next few hours recovering my laptop. by Obibun - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [ITT] We spend the next few hours recovering my laptop.
Page 2 of 11
RunningWolf
VeteranXV
Old
21 - 09-19-2011, 10:46
If you are that strapped for cash, just buy a HD enclosure from Best Buy and return it when your done recovering. There are all kinds of Linux distro's that will recover data and are free.

Sponsored Links
DMAUL
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
22 - 09-19-2011, 10:46
well rootkits aren't known for their bug free software development

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
23 - 09-19-2011, 10:47
So what's an Ubuntu live CD?

Please take note that not only is my computer knowledge somewhat limited (at least, for computer savvy people), but I've also never needed to do an actual file recovery before.

I'm still not sold on this "just get a HDD enclosure" thing, seeing as I legitimately believe it probably got to at least a section of my files before shutting down and ****ing up. It only makes sense, seeing as my boot sector "system recovery" program also leads to a black screen

Code4
BP's Pimpx
Contributor
Old
24 - 09-19-2011, 10:47
linux

Pirate Steve
VeteranXX
Old
25 - 09-19-2011, 10:49
this thread is funny to me on many different levels

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
26 - 09-19-2011, 10:52
Quote:
Download a copy of the latest Ubuntu ISO, at this time Feisty, store that ISO some place. Ensure that you have squashfs-tools, initrd-tools and syslinux packages installed. We will re-partition and format the USB device, copy the LiveCD contents over and tune it up with extlinux.

Re-partition and format the USB drive. Ensure that the first partition is at least 1GiB in size and marked bootable. Any remaining space can be divided as necessary. When formatting choose ext2, do not put a journaling filesystem onto the USB device.
I've bolded the parts I understood.

Shortest_Straw
VeteranX
Old
27 - 09-19-2011, 10:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obibun View Post
A CD or DVD, depending on which version you download (free). Which loads a version of Ubuntu directly into RAM, bypassing the HD. You should be able to then see all the files from your HD, and transfer them to whatever other storage media you should happen to have lying around.

WildKnight
VeteranXV
Old
28 - 09-19-2011, 10:55
Quote:

Please take note that not only is my computer knowledge somewhat limited (at least, for computer savvy people), but I've also never needed to do an actual file recovery before.

I'm still not sold on this "just get a HDD enclosure" thing, seeing as I legitimately believe it probably got to at least a section of my files before shutting down and ****ing up. It only makes sense, seeing as my boot sector "system recovery" program also leads to a black screen
its cute when bro's try to act smart.

no file is really deleted off a system, with the money and time absolutely anything can be recovered. tell ya what, for $350, you can ship me the laptop and i will go through the arduous work of finding and recovering those files for you. i could probably even get the hdd back into a working condition if you wanted, but that would cost another $200

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
29 - 09-19-2011, 10:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortest_Straw View Post
A CD or DVD, depending on which version you download (free). Which loads a version of Ubuntu directly into RAM, bypassing the HD. You should be able to then see all the files from your HD, and transfer them to whatever other storage media you should happen to have lying around.
See this sounds awesome, but can I not do this on a USB key?

I don't currently have a computer capable of burning a CD or DVD. The computer I had that was capable of this is currently ****ed beyond my level of repair, as this thread details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKnight View Post
its cute when bro's try to act smart.

no file is really deleted off a system, with the money and time absolutely anything can be recovered. tell ya what, for $350, you can ship me the laptop and i will go through the arduous work of finding and recovering those files for you. i could probably even get the hdd back into a working condition if you wanted, but that would cost another $200
despite your pompous nerd pseudo-authority I do agree and am aware that no file is ever actually "deleted", however, many files are in fact "deleted" past a point where you need to be able to successfully recover them, and pulling out the HDD and looking around it may not help

and for the record, I'm sure the guys at EasyTechForce or whatever that ****'s called would do all this for $100/150, although to spend that much on such a relatively simple procedure is just dumb. It's not like I have critical information I need to recover, just a few gigs of photos that may or may not still be there. The rest can be formatted into oblivion as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Obibun; 09-19-2011 at 10:58..
Shortest_Straw
VeteranX
Old
30 - 09-19-2011, 10:57
Quote:
See this sounds awesome, but can I not do this on a USB key?

I don't currently have a computer capable of burning a CD or DVD. The computer I had that was capable of this is currently ****ed beyond my level of repair, as this thread details.
You can, I just haven't needed it since it was only available on CD/DVD only. So I didn't even think about it. Also, there are several variants, I used Knoppix when I needed it, but that was at least 3 years ago.

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
31 - 09-19-2011, 10:59
The problem being that any search I've done on "bootable liveCD USB ubuntu" or whatever turns up this huge explanatory document full of words that might as well be chinese to me

WildKnight
VeteranXV
Old
32 - 09-19-2011, 11:00
you call this a "relatively simple procedure" yet you are trying to do it in the hardest way possible.

have fun! i will have my paypal account info ready for when you breakdown and need me.

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
33 - 09-19-2011, 11:00
Not joking when I say that one page I found sounded more like JING TAEO usb format one gigabyte CHING WA ZONG DA installation MAE FA TONG LANG

Fuzzy
VeteranX
Old
34 - 09-19-2011, 11:01
itt: spacetalk

BeLiaL
VeteranXX
Old
35 - 09-19-2011, 11:02

why do you want to recover several gigs of photos, none of which you are probably in

RedMeat
Veteran++
Old
36 - 09-19-2011, 11:02
Universal USB Installer ***8211; Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

DMAUL
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
37 - 09-19-2011, 11:03
disregard, i suck cocks

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
38 - 09-19-2011, 11:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLiaL View Post

why do you want to recover several gigs of photos, none of which you are probably in

no wait that wasn't funny

just sad

even in a harmless pc recovery thread you somehow found a way to vent your rage, your life must suuuuuuuuck

thanks, will try this

if the files are gone though we're going to need to go deeper

WE NEED TO GO DERPERR

WildKnight
VeteranXV
Old
39 - 09-19-2011, 11:04
oh btw, that page you found referenced a GIB gibbibyte, not GIG gigabyte. have fun figuring out that difference.

BeLiaL
VeteranXX
Old
40 - 09-19-2011, 11:05
i was laughing at you in this thread

i can almost smell the smoke coming out of your ears right now

Page 2 of 11

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [ITT] We spend the next few hours recovering my laptop.

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
adam mitter pc in the shitter , ¯\_(ツ)_/¯