Hook Ammo Poll

Are you for or against ammo for the Grappling Hook?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
[FotP] I-C-E said:
maybe make it a server option.
if competition wants unlimited or ammo, it can be up to them.
if a pub server wants unlimited or ammo, it can be up to the server owner.

Ya a toggle would be better right now so that once the game comes out, the server admins and competition ladders can decide what is or isn't better and the number of grapples for themselves.

I like this idea better then this all or nothing notion right now.

I voted against the ammo but only because I don't think the grappling hook should be able to latch onto soft surfaces. If they aren't going to do the not able to latch onto soft surfaces, then obviously add the ammo. I just think the ammo option is a quick fix for something much more complicated.

Yogi said:
This poll is proceeding exactly how I expected it would.

I don't get it. It proceeds excactly how?

To the Problem:
When I first read it I inatialy thought: ammo way no.
But after sleeping over it, I guess ammo isn't that bad and maybe needed.
So now I'm for it. (But I guess from what Irrational Dean said 20 ammo is nearly never reached.)

BTW I found the mentioned idea that if you let the rope pull in you won't loose ammo a good one. But I don't know if it would ever be used in a fast gameplay.

But putting a sizable re-fire delay on this thing may also help. Maybe like the Translocator in UT2k4 (be able to fire multiple times but it takes time to get a "usage" back (I guess this won't be understood but I can't describe better))

LostAngel said:
I don't think the grappling hook should be able to latch onto soft surfaces. If they aren't going to do the not able to latch onto soft surfaces, then obviously add the ammo. I just think the ammo option is a quick fix for something much more complicated.

^^^

I'm against it right now, mainly because if you are holding the fire button down while grappling and your grapple breaks, it automatically fires again. That and it can take 5-7 shots to get to the enemy base and another 5-7 to get back. Then you're really limited unless you go back to an inventory station, which is silly because you havn't fired an actual weapon.

Hobbiticus said:
I'm against it right now, mainly because if you are holding the fire button down while grappling and your grapple breaks, it automatically fires again. That and it can take 5-7 shots to get to the enemy base and another 5-7 to get back. Then you're really limited unless you go back to an inventory station, which is silly because you havn't fired an actual weapon.

thats 14, and that leaves room for 6-10 more shots. Sounds reasonable to me. I'm in favor of the ammo change. If this game was totally about freedom of movement, you wouldn't have any restrictions on your jetpack. Your jetpack has fuel and you MUST come down sooner or later to recharge your fuel/energy. Same should apply to the grapple.. YOU MUST COME DOWN OFF YOUR G'DAMN ROPE.

Even spiderman has to refill his web. :p

Niveus said:
thats 14, and that leaves room for 6-10 more shots. Sounds reasonable to me. I'm in favor of the ammo change. If this game was totally about freedom of movement, you wouldn't have any restrictions on your jetpack. Your jetpack has fuel and you MUST come down sooner or later to recharge your fuel/energy. Same should apply to the grapple.. YOU MUST COME DOWN OFF YOUR G'DAMN ROPE.

Even spiderman has to refill his web. :p

I think this is a false analogy.

Why not have jet pack ammo? You know, to keep people from just jetting and skiing around the whole time with the flag?

I see this as the same argument.

Equating unlimited grapples to a jet pack that never runs out of energy just does not work.

You cannot jet 100% of the time, but, subject to the recharge rate, there is no limit to how often you have access to your jets.

Imagine if they gave you like 20 rocket pellets - each one was equivalent to a full tank of energy and it took a few seconds to reload. You would be able to move like you do now, but you would have to keep going back to charge your jets "just in case".

I think the grapple should let you stay out the whole time, but should have some other mechanism to force people to balance its usage.

But then, I am not in the beta, so what business do I have discussing it?

KillerONE said:
We can't jet forever. We shouldn't be able to grapple forever.
But your jets don't shut off after a limited number of bursts.

Maybe messing around with refire rates would be a good idea. Like, the more you grapple at a time, the longer it takes to be able to grapple again.

hfingers said:
No just after a certain amount of time.
Not if you do short enough bursts and wait long enough between them. I don't see why something like this couldn't be implemented for the grappler.

I belive the grappling hook should have about 10 ammo, with a refire rate of 5 seconds. This would limit its whoring among cappers and would push people to ski more, while not nerfing the tool all that much. People can still use it many times in one run, but they have to think about how and when to use it.

10 ammo and 5 second refire would be an effective balance for the grappling hook.

Zhimin said:
I wasn't in the beta, but I think grappler is a transportation tool like the jetpack that enchance the freedom of movement. So limit the ammo is like limite the freedom of movement.

That's somehow true but I can image people do crazy "uber" things with the grappler so I believe limiting the grappler in some way is a good thing.

One thing I really like about T:VV, is that without health kits, its not longer vital to hit up an inv every time you get back to base from a flag run or a chase. If you have the health, from repair turrets or dropped kits, you're golden...you're not "full health but without a repair kit".

My point is that I like not having to worry about hitting the inv so much.

edit: That said, the only map where grappling is a problem is cavern, and I don't know if thats even going to be a big ladder map anyway. At the same time, its really fun for noobs, it was my favorite map at the lan, and least favorite now. I'd say if just one map was broken from it, its okay...

Another thing to think about is a map fix, change the ceiling on cavern, make the roots un grapple-able, add some more roots, and bam, the line is cut if you aren't way more cafeful.

Last edited:
Back