[T3] Something Tribes supported but Tribes 2 did not...

Trident_RX

Veteran X
Tribes supported this, Tribes 2 did not. I would like to see this in Tribes the Next;

Allow more than one terrain to be loaded into a map. Doing this will allow mappers to have much more freedom when creating maps. For instance, you can create a world with three terrain layers. One is the surface, the next is the cave floor and another is the cave ceiling (by flipping one upside down). Also, sometimes I dont want my map to go on to the infinity. So maybe include a parameter where you can define how many times the map repeats with 0 meaning infinity. This would allow VAST underground worlds or even unique terrain layouts. This is something objects (interior or static) cannot accomplish.

Also, what will be the object rendering limit in Tribes the Next, will it be 1024 like Tribes and Tribes2?

I know absolutely nothing about mapping or scripting so one of the things I miss is how you could change your reticle so easily in T1. I miss how it you could just go to paint make anything you want (red dot), name it h_reticle and it was there.

Well, you have two methods -

1. Make your dot and copy/paste/rename it a few times so it overwrites all the reticles

2. Make your dot and download and install a script which makes all the weapons use one common reticle.

It's approximately not-much harder than in T1.

Wils said:
Well, you have two methods -

1. Make your dot and copy/paste/rename it a few times so it overwrites all the reticles

2. Make your dot and download and install a script which makes all the weapons use one common reticle.

It's approximately not-much harder than in T1.

and what would it be named. would it be possible to put it in my pj reticle script

yea how did that reticle shit have anything to do with mapping in the slightest sniper?

btw cave maps were never really used (i played a couple but nothing in competition or even pubs)
Do you really think that they could become a popular map? just seems to me its better to not have a limit on how high you fly. However picking a capper off the ceiling would be cool too.

It would be awesome to have a map set in a massive complex of organic caves, with huge stalagtites and stalagmites supporting the roof of the caves as they fade into the darkness. Think Dwarven mines scene in LotR:FotR in terms of size - you could fit a plenty big enough mission area in something that size, and undulate the floor for the usual skiing; there'd just be these huge cool looking pillars along the routes.

Not sure how you'd handle lighting though. Maybe you could give the players headlamps... set up lighting rigs along the major ski routes. Or invent some lame glowing moss shit :)

I would like to see an engine in Tribes 3 that could handle both expansive exterior worlds and expansive, detailed interior structures. Combine the efficiency of the Torque and the Q3 engines with their respective strengths, in other words. Developers or community mappers wouldn't have to create enourmous interiors, but they could suit them up with a lot of detail.

What would you take from Torque that doesn't already exist in Quake 3, out of interest?

The post-rtcw/mohaa Q3 engine already has decent farplane culling and fog, etc. Just about the only thing its missing that I can think of offhand is the terrain texture blending T2 has.

Of course, you'd want to extend it further for T3...

Wils said:
What would you take from Torque that doesn't already exist in Quake 3, out of interest?

The post-rtcw/mohaa Q3 engine already has decent farplane culling and fog, etc. Just about the only thing its missing that I can think of offhand is the terrain texture blending T2 has.

Of course, you'd want to extend it further for T3...

I don't really know in enginse, but the torque clearly does heightfields more fluidly.

I guess you'd need to refine Q3's crappy terrain tech somewhat in order to create landscapes the size of the average tribes map, yeah :)

At least half of that is the quality of the tools though - Q3's Radiant editor isn't designed for terrain at all, and any support it has is very much an afterthough. I suspect T3 will rely on applications such as Maya/Max/Lightwave in much the same way UT2K3 and Doom 3 do, anyway, and Thrax has already stated he's against the idea of an in-game browser because of the waste of resources that could otherwise be spent on the game, so you can bet T3 won't have an in-game terrain editor.

I've never seen a map using more than one terrain layer in T1, and T2 had infinite terrain stretching in all directions.

rage_sniper said:
and what would it be named. would it be possible to put it in my pj reticle script

Good luck getting any script other than a PJ script to work.

Proud to be PJ free.

Back