[HOW TO] Host a *dedicated* server, configure, setup webadmin

Empowering Helado is a very important function.

Now we just need those buttons to actually do anything, so the rest of us can feel empowered too :D

Thanks guys. The gamepanel one looks like the best one for me, but I couldn't get it to work. I posted in the guys forum for help.

Hello. Firstly let me thank you for providing this service and the forums for feedback, it looks real nice and is easy to install(even though I haven't gotten to work yet.) :p

I am trying to set up a game service so it can auto-restart if it crashes. Right now the game is beta but I intend to do the same once the full version is out. I followed the word doc instructions provided and edited the powerservice config to suit my needs...

It looks something like this...

<add key="Service.Execute" value="tribesv_mpbeta_en.exe" />
<add key="Service.Arguments" value="MP-Emerald?maxplayers=16?AdminName=Administrator?AdminPassword=password -server" />
<add key="Service.WorkingDirectory" value="C:\Games\TV Treehouse 2\Program\Bin" />
<add key="Service.Priority" value="Normal" />
<add key="Service.CheckIfRunning" value="5" />

<add key="Service.DisplayName" value="Treehouse One" />
<add key="Service.ServiceName" value="Treehouse" />

Everything seemed to work fine..then when I tried to start the service, I got this error saying that the service started and stopped because it may have not had any work to do. I went to event viewer and got this error.
Service cannot be started. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at PowerService.Service1.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

And now I'm here.

Any help?

BM, I can't help you with gamepanel, I haven't actually used it yet, but at least until he answers, use firedaemon. That's what my server runs with right now and it could not have been easier to setup (no web access though).

I see tons of post on CPU usage, but none on bandwidth usage other than Big Monkeys. Is it true for everyone? 1mb. out average?

SavronBlu said:
I see tons of post on CPU usage, but none on bandwidth usage other than Big Monkeys. Is it true for everyone? 1mb. out average?

Full 20 person uses just a hair under 1mbit out and < 500kbit in.

Thanks for feedback.

How is the bandwidth usage compared to other games? This seems excessive to me, but of course I am not speaking from experience.

If it averages 1mb. for 20 people the costs to run a good server would be quite expensive. If the bandwidth is excessive then wouldn't this hurt the community as a whole with a limited amount of servers and bandwidth costs?

If I am way of base here let me know.

SavronBlu

[IGA]Russ said:
Yeah so in summary definately use EnableCheatProtection=False as it is rumoured the other setting doesnt work.

So is this the only one we need? Or should we do the other one just in case?

I've been playing with UT2004 stuff and just looked at a friend's T:V WebAdmin and it looks virtually identical. My guess is that T:V uses the same UT scripts for that, just substituting the artwork and updating the server variables.

If you can get a copy of UnrealEd, you should be able to dump out all the T:V scripts for inspection:

http://matureasskickers.net/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=5489

If your box is behind a router and you're using port forwarding to provide outside admins access to your web admin interface, you'll probably need to tell your server its outside address. In your ini file, find the [UWeb.WebServer] section and add the variable "ServerName=aa.bb.cc.dd", substituting your external address or DNS name for the aa.bb.cc.dd.

For map voting and stats, check out the UT2004 mutators like UT2Vote43 and ut2003stats. These can probably be easily adapted to work with T:V.

Last edited:
OK I got help and it turns out all I needed to do was specify the full path of the .exe and it worked fine.

Now I should be able to have both servers as a process, #2 is already started, and the system tray doesn't show the console thingies anymore.

I haven't done it to #1 server yet till I do some more reading and testing.

SavronBlu said:
Thanks for feedback.

How is the bandwidth usage compared to other games? This seems excessive to me, but of course I am not speaking from experience.

If it averages 1mb. for 20 people the costs to run a good server would be quite expensive. If the bandwidth is excessive then wouldn't this hurt the community as a whole with a limited amount of servers and bandwidth costs?

If I am way of base here let me know.

SavronBlu

BF:V was about 3-4x this. T:V runs pretty low on the bandwidth side of things.

Hey,

I want to get "Digital-warfare.net - East - FUEL" server to auto startup on Fuel Gametype..whats the command I need to put in the shortcut? Thanks!

MaDAssassin said:
Hey,

I want to get "Digital-warfare.net - East - FUEL" server to auto startup on Fuel Gametype..whats the command I need to put in the shortcut? Thanks!

This seemed to work for me for a rabbit server:

.exe mp-emerald?game=GameClasses.ModeRabbit?maxplayers=10 -server

so I believe fuel is

.exe mp-emerald?game=GameClasses.ModeFuel?maxplayers=20 -server

I don't know what will happen if mp-emerald isn't compatible with Fuel.

Names should be:

GameClasses.ModeCTF
GameClasses.ModeBall
GameClasses.ModeFuel
GameClasses.ModeRabbit
GameClasses.ModeArena

Last edited:
Back