ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history. by Kurayami - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history.
Page 2 of 13
Kurayami
Banned
Old
21 - 12-21-2008, 22:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by link_ View Post
In your opinion, what effect did light armor have on the Battle of the Fawkland Islands?
You mean the Falklands War in 1982? Because the only other Falklands action that I can think of offhand was the German/British "fleet" battle there in WW1.

I don't really know.

The Falklands War is not my area of expertise. It's a good study conflict in terms of modern fleet/air engagements since the Argentinians actually had some decent 1st world tech, but I don't know a hell of a lot about it beyond that.

Sponsored Links
Kurayami
Banned
Old
22 - 12-21-2008, 22:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Slappy View Post
What are your thoughts on bullpup rifles? And why doesn't the US adopt the system?

It seems like if you can get the same size barrel in a smaller package wouldn't that be a better thing, especially in the urban combat situation we find ourselves in?
Bullpups are the natural evolution of rifle design.

The US doesn't adopt them because they're ugly and Colt and friends don't produce them.

That said, there's no reason not to adopt a bullpup design, especially in an era where everyone and their brother is being sent out with a carbine.

Uncle Slappy
VeteranXV
Old
23 - 12-21-2008, 22:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurayami View Post
Bullpups are the natural evolution of rifle design.

The US doesn't adopt them because they're ugly and Colt and friends don't produce them.

That said, there's no reason not to adopt a bullpup design, especially in an era where everyone and their brother is being sent out with a carbine.
I was assuming it was a contract issue, because I have never heard one good reason why we don't switch.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
24 - 12-21-2008, 22:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBlade View Post
Both, didn't really think about light
An-2/3 for light.

Probably C-5 for heavy.

And I'll toss in the C-130 for medium duty.

The An-2 is a design that has been around forever.
It's absurdly cheap.
It's very efficient.
And it really costs nothing to maintain.

The C-5 and C-130 are both proven platforms that do their jobs very well.

The An-225 is certainly the most impressive transport, but only one has been built and it really has no record as a military transport.

KnightMare
VeteranX
Old
25 - 12-21-2008, 22:42
What is your opinion on the mig vs sabre battle during the korean war?

Uncle Slappy
VeteranXV
Old
26 - 12-21-2008, 22:42
Star Wars: Waste of money? Or vital defense initiative?

Kurayami
Banned
Old
27 - 12-21-2008, 22:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanick View Post
What do you think is the most important innovation in military technology in the past decade and what does this mean for the world?
Tough question.

I would have to say that it's the overall improvement of networking on the battlefield.

The F-35 is set up in such a way that it can network with pretty much anything worth networking with (AWACS, other aircraft, EW systems, etc) and give the pilot a tremendously accurate idea of what's going on around him. Arguably too much information.

Similar advances have been made on the ground.

With modern sensor technology, it's getting pretty hard to hide anything.

Thingfish
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
28 - 12-21-2008, 22:45
How long do you think the Polish air force could have lasted had they known in advance of the German blitzkrieg in 1939? We can assume that the Polish army could have had more success on the ground as well with advance notice, so let's say the airfields and resupply were not a problem for, say, three months ... unrealistic though that is.

Viggy
VeteranXV
Old
29 - 12-21-2008, 22:47
Does the Navy operate any UAVs? Are there any carrier-certified ones?

If there were, and one was shallow coming in for a landing, would the landing signaler have to run over to a camera to wave off the guy flying it from Nevada?

If that happened, who would get more **** from his colleagues: the signaler for flailing his arms at a blank wall, or the remote pilot for botching it when he was nailing that in NES Top Gun at 8 years old?

Kurayami
Banned
Old
30 - 12-21-2008, 22:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Slappy View Post
I was assuming it was a contract issue, because I have never heard one good reason why we don't switch.
Well

The M16 was never a great design.
The G3 was what was originally going to be used, but Colt managed to change the government's mind.

The XM8 was just a G36 with an ugly plastic body, and even that was an improvement over the M16.

I'm not really sure why they aren't being looked at.
My guess is that they aren't "American."

Kurayami
Banned
Old
31 - 12-21-2008, 22:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightMare View Post
What is your opinion on the mig vs sabre battle during the korean war?
The MiG-15 was the better aircraft overall.

If the US had learned anything from the Germans, it should have been that .50 really doesn't cut it for aerial armament. A study done in '46 or '47 even proved authoritatively that the only .50 round that routinely brought down aircraft was AP-I--and only when it hit a fuel tank or engine.

Sending F-86s to Korea even with only a pair of 20mm Hispanos would have made it a far better aircraft.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
32 - 12-21-2008, 22:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
How long do you think the Polish air force could have lasted had they known in advance of the German blitzkrieg in 1939? We can assume that the Polish army could have had more success on the ground as well with advance notice, so let's say the airfields and resupply were not a problem for, say, three months ... unrealistic though that is.
About as long as they did anyway. PZL produced some good designs, but never in the numbers required to meet the Luftwaffe.

Also recall that the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact was active. The Soviets attacked from the east shortly after the Germans started the Blitzkrieg. The Poles didn't have a chance.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
33 - 12-21-2008, 22:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggy View Post
Does the Navy operate any UAVs? Are there any carrier-certified ones?
No, but Boeing is building one.

My understanding is that it's supposed to land autonomously.

But Eggi would probably know more about that than me.

Twi$ta
VeteranX
Old
34 - 12-21-2008, 23:01
how many guys would you suck off to be a jet fighter pilot for a day?

KnightMare
VeteranX
Old
35 - 12-21-2008, 23:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurayami View Post
The MiG-15 was the better aircraft overall.

If the US had learned anything from the Germans, it should have been that .50 really doesn't cut it for aerial armament. A study done in '46 or '47 even proved authoritatively that the only .50 round that routinely brought down aircraft was AP-I--and only when it hit a fuel tank or engine.

Sending F-86s to Korea even with only a pair of 20mm Hispanos would have made it a far better aircraft.
Does that mean you think its unlikely that the US won that 'battle"? Both sides claimed they shot down more planes than the other iirc.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
36 - 12-21-2008, 23:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggerNaught View Post
In your opinion, who was the greatest armor commander of WWII.
Tough question.

I'd probably have to say Rommel or Guderian. Guderian was pretty instrumental in Blitzkrieg warfare period. Rommel was a good student. Even ignoring the fact that he made a lot of poor calls in Africa (not always his fault,) he performed very well in France.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
37 - 12-21-2008, 23:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightMare View Post
Does that mean you think its unlikely that the US won that 'battle"? Both sides claimed they shot down more planes than the other iirc.
The top two scoring pilots were Russian.

Regardless of any fudged numbers, I think that says enough in terms of direct comparisons.

Soup
Soup++
Old
38 - 12-21-2008, 23:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by naptown View Post
if something involved using special forces to recover a high ranking military official who was taken hostage and you could only recover him covertly without the use of extreme force

of all the special forces in the world, who's would you choose?
watch the unit tonight?

Machine
VeteranXX
Old
39 - 12-21-2008, 23:14
Whats the site that lists hundreds of military vehicles/types of equipment and all the variants?

Kurayami
Banned
Old
40 - 12-21-2008, 23:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
Whats the site that lists hundreds of military vehicles/types of equipment and all the variants?
fas.org
or
globalsecurity.org

Good writeups.

US Army FMs, too.

Page 2 of 13

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history.

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
kurayamiwar.com