America: The no-vacation nation.

Whatever, obi. I'm not trying to argue opinions about quality of life, just facts about income. You can get your panties in a bunch about whatever you want.

I certaintly understand that people value different things. And some people who have lived in both places would much prefer the european system, and some people who have lived in both places would much prefer the american system. I'm not saying either of those people are wrong in any way.

It's like you didn't even read the OP. You just started spewing "income" like it was the be-all-end-all and therefore "America's okay because we have higher income, it's a tradeoff"

which is just wrong

the american system is, flat-out, worse for the worker than the european system.

just like the chinese system is, flat-out, worse for the worker than the american system

I know it's hard as an American to swallow your pride and admit you're not #1 at something, but you're not #1 at work, your system sucks, people are unhappy and you get no vacation

Spoiler

I earn 3 weeks of vacation a year and can save up to 6 weeks, I also earn 2 weeks of sick time a year with no maximum that can be used to cash out as service time when I retire. I also get 14 paid holidays a year. I make about 10-15% less then a number of my friends that only get at most half of the time off I get most much less than that and while I wish I had more money but the difference in stress level between me and my friends is incredible.

I live in the US, there is a trade off between income and time off and I am very happy with the choice I made.

It's like you didn't even read the OP. You just started spewing "income" like it was the be-all-end-all and therefore "America's okay because we have higher income, it's a tradeoff"

which is just wrong

Its obviously not the be-all-end-all, since I said its part of a TRADEOFF. Do you understand what the word means?

Some people prefer getting more income and not getting as much vacation time. Or getting more income but having less generous maternity leave. More money is good. Less social benefits are bad. Hence, TRADEOFF and not be-all-end-all.

did you even read the OP? where it said the vast majority of americans aren't happy? so saying "some people prefer" is about as vague and stupid as saying "some people are happy"

no, no you didn't

you're wrong

deal with it

america is not #1, it is not a tradeoff for #1, nothing about your system of employment is even close to #1, there is no tradeoff, it's not about money, it's not a tradeoff between money and vacation time, it's not #1, nothing you can say makes it #1, your system sucks, learn to swallow your vast american pride, you lose, good day sir

you_lose.gif

Last edited:
I live in the U.S. I'm on vacation with 1/2 pay until next March. Maybe more, maybe less. Livin' the dream. Suck it suckers.

lol unemployed 

did you even read the OP? where it said the vast majority of americans aren't happy? so saying "some people prefer" is about as vague and stupid as saying "some people are happy"

no, no you didn't

you're wrong

deal with it

america is not #1, it is not a tradeoff for #1, nothing about your system of employment is even close to #1, there is no tradeoff, it's not about money, it's not a tradeoff between money and vacation time, it's not #1, nothing you can say makes it #1, your system sucks, learn to swallow your vast american pride, you lose, good day sir

you_lose.gif
:lol:
you mad

did YOU read the OP?

Working more makes Americans happier than Europeans, according to a study published recently in the Journal of Happiness Studies. That may be because Americans believe more than Europeans do that hard work is associated with success, wrote Adam Okulicz-Kozaryn, the study's author and an assistant professor at the University of Texas at Dallas.
"Americans maximize their... [happiness] by working, and Europeans maximize their [happiness] through leisure," he found.

I'm afraid to respond much more because it seems like you are rapidly losing your mind

no I'm just trying to get it through your thick american head that you're not #1

no amount of table turning and compromise and "tradeoff" makes you #1, or tied for #1

there is literally no way in the world your employee vacation/benefits/social system could ever be compared to #1, or even close to #1

you're not

so stop fooling yourself

europe has you beat, they're better than you, at least you can remember you bailed them out of WW2

1-1277407026.gif

you_lose.gif

Just took my first vacation day in a year on Sunday.

I might spoil myself and take another for Fathers Day.

Usually working 45-48 hours a week

there is no tradeoff, it's not about money, it's not a tradeoff between money and vacation time

Scott wasn't arguing that the US is #1 or that our system isn't flawed, he was simply pointing out the true fact that when you work you often make a choice between more money or more benefits, which is true, especially in the US. In Europe you often have less of a choice and just get the benefits.

Scott wasn't arguing that the US is #1 or that our system isn't flawed, he was simply pointing out the true fact that when you work you often make a choice between more money or more benefits, which is true, especially in the US. In Europe you often have less of a choice and just get the benefits.

you've misunderstood him

although he may try to backpedal now

he was saying "well we're not so bad, we're still just as good as europe you see, it's a TRADEOFF"

which is dead wrong

I used to never take my full vacation time. As I've gotten older, I just say screw it and take my vacation. I typically schedule a couple months ahead. If they can't work around it, that's their problem.

no I'm just trying to get it through your thick american head that you're not #1

no amount of table turning and compromise and "tradeoff" makes you #1, or tied for #1

there is literally no way in the world your employee vacation/benefits/social system could ever be compared to #1, or even close to #1

you're not

so stop fooling yourself

europe has you beat, they're better than you, at least you can remember you bailed them out of WW2

1-1277407026.gif

you_lose.gif

holy shit :lol:

dude simmer down, Canada and Europe are great places to live, too!

just trying to get you to understand

European work system > American work system

regardless of whether or not you're willing to admit it

it's simply better. cold. hard. facts.

Back