Reload this Page barack hussein obama whimps out
Page 1 of 2
ZooL
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 08-02-2008, 15:49
OSAMA *****S OUT

Obama backs away from McCain's debate challenge - Yahoo! News

Obama backs away from McCain's debate challenge By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL, Associated Press Writer
54 minutes ago

Democratic candidate Barack Obama on Saturday backed away from rival John McCain's challenge for a series of joint appearances before the political conventions, agreeing only to the standard three debates in the fall.

In May, when a McCain adviser proposed a series of pre-convention appearances at town hall meetings, Obama said, "I think that's a great idea." In summer stumping on the campaign trail, McCain has often noted that Obama had not followed through and joined him in any events.

On Saturday, in a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said the short period between the last political convention and the first proposed debate made it likely that the commission-sponsored debates would be the only ones in the fall.

"We've committed to the three debates on the table," campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Saturday in an interview. "It's likely they will be the three appearances by the candidates this fall."

Asked by The Associated Press if that meant Obama would not agree to any other debates, Psaki said, "We're not saying that." She said the McCain campaign had rejected Obama's proposal for two joint town hall meetings.

The McCain campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The first debate planned by the commission is set for Sept. 26 in Oxford, Miss., three weeks after the Republican National Convention concludes Sept. 4. The Democratic convention is scheduled for Aug. 25-28.

The other presidential debates are set for Oct. 7 and Oct. 15 and the vice presidential debate for Oct. 2.

A day after Obama clinched the Democratic nomination in early June, McCain challenged Obama to a series of 10 town hall meetings with voters in the months leading up to the conventions. The candidates' campaigns began negotiations, telling reporters that they agreed in spirit to the joint appearances.

When the idea first came up from the McCain campaign that May, Obama was still battling Hillary Rodham Clinton for the Democratic nomination. Obama said then: "Obviously, we would have to think through the logistics on that, but ... if I have the opportunity to debate substantive issues before the voters with John McCain, that's something that I am going to welcome."

In June, Plouffe had suggested Obama-McCain meetings more along the lines of the historic Lincoln-Douglas debates. In 1858, during Abraham Lincoln's Senate campaign against Stephen Douglas, the candidates met seven times across Illinois. One spoke for an hour, the other for an hour and a half, and the first was allowed a half-hour rebuttal.

Plouffe said Saturday that Rep. Rahm Emanuel of Illinois will be Obama's representative in further discussions with the commission.

The Commission on Presidential Debates, established in 1987, sponsors and produces debates featuring the presidential and vice presidential candidates of the major parties. The nonprofit and nonpartisan organization has sponsored all the presidential debates since 1988.

___

Associated Press writer Mike Glover in Orlando, Fla., contributed to this report.

___

On the Net:

Commission on Presidential Debates: Commission on Presidential Debates

Sponsored Links
Benzer
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 08-02-2008, 15:52
At least they know they are losing.

GiftOfTheGame
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 08-02-2008, 15:53
If you make the text a bit bigger it will make it look like the news is super important.

Lineage
VeteranXV
Old
4 - 08-02-2008, 15:58
Hurr hurrrrrr. Look at politic. It funny. Hurrrrrrr. Black man bad.

Kizzak
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 08-02-2008, 16:00
iirc, McCain's campaign put a series of demands with regards to the venues, people showing up, and other **** that made it rather unpalatable

sheex
VeteranX
Old
6 - 08-02-2008, 16:01
did you even read the article?

Asked by The Associated Press if that meant Obama would not agree to any other debates, Psaki said, "We're not saying that." She said the McCain campaign had rejected Obama's proposal for two joint town hall meetings.

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
7 - 08-02-2008, 16:17
Why are you surprised?

America-haters never stand face-to-face with Americans, they always tuck-tail and run.

SonGohan
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 08-02-2008, 16:18
My bet is everyone in this thread lives in Texas and is part of the N.R.A.

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
9 - 08-02-2008, 16:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
I always knew Kizzak was a gun-toting Texan.

anomaly
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 08-02-2008, 16:25
my friend was david plouffes personal assistant last wednesday, he got to drive him around in a mercedes and have lunch with senators and stuff =)

[PoE]Anthem
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 08-02-2008, 16:29
Just taking part in a debate with Obama would be good for any idiot's image. Debating any idiot, however -- not so good for Obama's.

-raven-
VeteranX
Old
12 - 08-02-2008, 16:29
I find the idea of 13 total debates ludicrous. That would be even worse than the primaries. People would just not watch. Maybe that's what McCain was going for.

Kizzak
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 08-02-2008, 17:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teratos View Post
I always knew Kizzak was a gun-toting Texan.
technically I'm a Georgian, but a family member bought me an NRA membership years ago and I used to go out shooting and hunt on occasion

ScooBySnaCk
Tribalwar Staff
Contributor
Old
14 - 08-02-2008, 17:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
Nevada

AND not part of NRA (still gun totting)

Validuz
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
15 - 08-02-2008, 17:44
I don't care how many debates they have, but I wish they would exclude audiences like the old debates. I don't need some dumb mob to sway my opinion either way.

m00ky
Veteran++
Old
16 - 08-02-2008, 17:50
Are my grandparents on tribalwar now? What the **** is up with the text size

SonGohan
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 08-02-2008, 17:52
So, what does it mean to be in the N.R.A. anyway?

KnightMare
VeteranX
Old
18 - 08-02-2008, 17:52
obama vs mccain, mma fight. pride rules.

Hazee Daze
VeteranXV
Old
19 - 08-02-2008, 18:15
wimps

L&L-KaoS
Unregistered
Old
20 - 08-02-2008, 18:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightMare View Post
obama vs mccain, mma fight. pride rules.
i don't know why that was funny but it was

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page barack hussein obama whimps out

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
obama vs mccain , politics