the lawsuit is coming soon project z fags

Kismet

Veteran
0D50Gsh.png

no that is not me with that gay email address

preface: im not harvard educated lawyer like all of u obv

but isn't there a legal difference between generic functions/design elements (why a vg company can't copyright ctf game type) and their specific source code used to achieve these functions?

as in a company couldn't sue you for creating a disc launcher, but could if u used dynamix's exact code for their disc launcher?

idk i dont want to rehash angry sperg arguments but im neutrally interested

preface: im not harvard educated lawyer like all of u obv

but isn't there a legal difference between generic functions/design elements (why a vg company can't copyright ctf game type) and their specific source code used to achieve these functions?

as in a company couldn't sue you for creating a disc launcher, but could if u used dynamix's exact code for their disc launcher?

idk i dont want to rehash angry sperg arguments but im neutrally interested

No, things like flags, jetpacks, and weapons are copyrighted by law.

Nobody can use them without risking a massive lawsuit.

I know this because Dare told me.

the reality is that in your attempt to sell your unlicensed ripoff game, which is unlike the other community driven and publicly released games have done as they offered them for free, hirez will probably just legally nuke you. defense vs a high priced experienced $800/h corporate lawyer or a team of them in front of a copyright judge that has never played a video game in their life where the similarities of simply having jet packs, skiing, flags, and inventory stations will be enough to put you all on the hook for a lot of money or tie you up in court till you're all bankrupt due to legal fees is quite the risk. you are gambling with explosives.

Don't believe him? Well... just read the law...

In present-day law, it is upheld that game mechanics of a video game are part of its software, and are generally ineligible for copyright.[15] The United States Copyright Office specifically notes: "Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles."[16] The underlying source code, and the game's artistic elements, including art, music, and dialog, can be protected by copyright law.[15] In the United Kingdom, "neither a game’s ‘look and feel’ nor its mechanics are protectable", according to Nicolas Murfett, a legal associate for Harbottle & Lewis, while the European Union has yet to come to a resolution on the matter.[17] As an alternative, some elements of video game software have been protected through patents or trademarks.[17][18][19][20] It is generally recognized in the video game industry that borrowing mechanics from other games is common practice, and their widespread use would make them ineligible for legal copyright or patent protection.

game mechanics can be patented it doesnt all have to fall under copyright law it can be a mix of IP, copyright, and patents

not to mention you edited the significant similarity clause from your quote

the us patent office is open to search

im surprised you havent typed in starsiege tribes to see what patents came with the ownership rights to the franchise but of course you're too much in love with the idea of a new tribes game to really look critically at it

im not gonna argue with someone that tailors and edits wikipedia quotes to fit their agenda and is a delusional fan boy

this was just a troll thread

anyway tpk here's a professional copyright lawyer lecturing about game mechanics and copyright

like i said it's really up to the discretion of the judge but it can totally make it to court and in the end it doesn't matter who wins the court case it's that going to court is expensive and probably too expensive for archetype games

https://youtu.be/D1RZSeMacl4?t=17m47s

Last edited:
TPK's drunken Friday night reply:

not to mention you edited the significant similarity clause from your quote

im not gonna argue with someone that tailors and edits wikipedia quotes to fit their agenda and is a delusional fan boy

Yes, "directly cutting and pasting" and linking from wikipedia is the same as "editing quotes to fit an agenda in a deceptive manner".

Watch out for people using "dictionaries" too. By cutting and pasting definitions of words, they are diabolically trying to deceive the masses in a sinister manner.

It's baffling to wonder where you come up with this crap. I didn't edit jack shit.

Video game clone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All I did was link a paragraph from the wiki wtf.

You are an epic bullshit artist bro.

Should I just go and say that you edited, altered, and deceived everyone by "directly linking a video" then?

Your tactics are akin to the pure bullshit politicians use. Stick to the facts.

If your case is so strong, then you don't need to lie about me editing something I didn't.

im surprised you havent typed in starsiege tribes to see what patents came with the ownership rights to the franchise but of course you're too much in love with the idea of a new tribes game to really look critically at it

Naw, cus I don't care. I've already had my time man. As much as I'd love to mollywop the pants off you in a game for the first and only 2 years that matter because it takes you 10+ years to learn... I've already had 16 years with no Tribes, 16 more won't hurt me none.

It's not my responsibility to make Tribes so I'm not going to put a tremendous amount of effort into researching law about it. You obviously care far more about it than I do if you're googling that. It's kind of strange that you do study so much when you want a game to fail. wtf do you care what happens to project Z? Bizarre...

I'm just posting cus I think it's hilarious that you think that companies can get obliterated in court because they used "flags," "jetpacks," and "inventory stations". If you have convinced a single person of that here on the forum then hats off to you, that's an impressively potent level of contagious stupidity.

If we get another Tribes game, great, if not, no skin off my back...

T:A was the nail in the coffin for me... If anyone creates a Tribes game anything remotely similar to T1 that doesn't suck, I'll be fucking delightfully shocked out of my panties...

Back