Rehearsal, logistics, and the like by JohnnyX - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Music Collective
Reload this Page Rehearsal, logistics, and the like
JohnnyX
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 06-15-2010, 00:51
Hey, I recently decided that I wanted to get off my ass and take a shot at actually making some music with friends. I know of three different rehearsal spaces, so I'm leaning towards renting something like that out. I've already got the guys together, a guitarist/keys player, singer/guitarist (me... gulp), drummer, and bassist. We're all friendly and get along -great- so I'm hoping things work out.

The thing is I was wondering, what kind of setup do you guys take to rehearse? I mean the obvious things, instruments, amps, and kit are there. Does the singer in your current/former bands bring something? A PA? I'm just lost, because I know when you play some spots, the mics for vocals are already setup. I doubt it will be that way in a rehearsal space. So how do you work to rehearse singing and such? Just run through the songs without vocals?

Do you record your practices? With what? I've seen some field recorders but at this point I think it's a waste when we don't even have songs partially fleshed out.

I'm super interested in songwriting methods other bands use, and how they work out all the crappy logistics of making music.

Sponsored Links
old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
2 - 06-15-2010, 01:15
Good question.

First, since you sing, you need to put together some sort of monitoring so you can hear yourself sing. All you really need is a mic, a cable, a stand, a monitor speaker, an a small monitor amp. Once you have those you're set.

Rehearsal spaces do NOT typically come furnished with a PA. Clubs, on the other hand, typically do.

kyuss
K-U-R-T
Old
3 - 06-15-2010, 09:28
i record 95% of what happens in our practice space. it's a fairly simple setup of a live mixer with 7 mics. i take the stereo out of that which ends up going into a pc. i use this to get the audio into the pc, and audacity to record the stereo mix.

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
4 - 06-15-2010, 11:55
I just use a Zoom H2 to record. It takes the complexity of trying to get a good recording out of the picture. Our standards for a releasable recording are too high to mess with getting a good demo - so a ****ty recording of a song idea is actually preferable.

Stilgar
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 06-15-2010, 16:13
We bring everything with us.
I have an amp, guitar and pedal board.
Bass player has his bass and amp.
Keyboard player owns the PA, so he brings the most. Two keyboards, an amp, the PA and microphones.
Drummer has a smallish kit.

Takes an hour to set up and the same to break it down.
Rehearsal space has a recorder, and two of us have nice recording gear. But we rarely lug it around. Want something taped? Have someone bring their video camera.

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
6 - 06-15-2010, 16:43
It takes an hour to set up? Wow. Playing shows around here, we get maybe 10 minutes to set up our **** and get started. 15 at best. Of course, that's with a PA that's already set up, so I'm sure that's what takes the time.

AniMisM
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 06-15-2010, 19:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss View Post
i record 95% of what happens in our practice space. it's a fairly simple setup of a live mixer with 7 mics. i take the stereo out of that which ends up going into a pc. i use this to get the audio into the pc, and audacity to record the stereo mix.
I do the exact same.

JohnnyX
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 06-16-2010, 04:18
Hrm... I'm seriously considering recording just whatever comes out of our 3 piece without the drummer for the first week. Then just let our drummer hear whatever is going on for the first week or two, and come up with his part. Then rehearsing with a field recorder after that. Something like:

TASCAM DR-07 PORTABLE DIGITAL RECORDER and more Portable & Field Recorders at GuitarCenter.com.

I may end up buying a PA early on, but I'd really prefer not to. I might sell off my 1x12 amp, as I don't even currently own an electric right now. It was stolen a while ago. I still have my acoustic, but I only use it to come up with harmonies and don't use it while I'm playing/singing.

Heat
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 06-16-2010, 05:34
I like that recorder. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Stilgar
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 06-17-2010, 11:42
PA is a must in larger venues.

old_skul - we start with a beer.

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
11 - 06-17-2010, 13:12
This explains much

I haven't been in a band that didn't have a dedicated rehearsal space in probably 15 years. Both acts I play with now rehearse in a basement of a house. It sucks, but it works.

Stilgar
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 06-17-2010, 15:12
For recording...

It is 16 tracks 40 gb hd and a CDRW and was under $400.
Need a case, though.

Last edited by Stilgar; 06-18-2010 at 11:10..
JohnnyX
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 06-17-2010, 22:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_skul View Post
This explains much

I haven't been in a band that didn't have a dedicated rehearsal space in probably 15 years. Both acts I play with now rehearse in a basement of a house. It sucks, but it works.
I have a space/spaces, I'm just kind of wondering what as a singer I need to provide. The space itself is not a problem, this city suprisingly has a lot of rehearsal spaces for rent or whatever. Recording might become an issue later on, but I'm not really worried about album quality recording at this point. Baby steps, we just agreed to meet up weekly last week. We're working on rough portions of a few songs tomorrow evening as a 3 piece, then we're gonna bring on the drummer next week after he hears some of the recordings.

The two spaces I've been to vary from like a 18x18 soundproofed room, to a larger about 30x24ish space. Thair main draw is no complaints from anyone's neighbors. I could find bigger if need be (like top floor of an old store building large). I know I don't truly -need- a PA for spaces like that, but I'd like to be able to turn up the volume and have the band hear my voice at higher volumes. I really just want to get some practice in as far as working with a microphone in a semi-realistic environment.

Recording at this point is only to maintain or remember things we happen to come up with on the spot. Or changes we make or agree on really.

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
14 - 06-18-2010, 14:25
If you're just rehearsing, don't worry about recording. Go to a recording studio for that.

For vocal monitoring, a simple powered monitor speaker for vocals will do fine. You need at least 200W and a 12" speaker. Just put the speaker where everyone can hear it.

At practice, we don't run anything but vocals and keys through the PA.

D-Sect
VeteranXV
Old
15 - 07-01-2010, 20:57
Singer covers the PA + speakers. Each of us owns our own mic + stand + cable. I record using an inexpensive condenser mic and my laptop using Audacity (free).

As above ^^ just vocals in the practice PA.

I use a little trick when recording practices / creative sessions. I run the recorder, stopping only on breaks, and get some 40+ min files. When we're messing around and we come up with something we like, the drummer hits a series of whole notes on the snare to slate the position in time. When you're reviewing the files, the waveform shows these "slates" and makes it easy to find your stuff. I can't see the recording time when playing and sometimes stuff goes by quickly.

Haunt
VeteranX
Old
16 - 08-06-2010, 03:02
As far as song writing goes, our guys typically all write..when an idea is ready to be brought to the table, that person plays and sings it. The rest of the band chops it up and then we rewrite the music (typically, songs are wrote to very basic music...so, we all do our part in putting together solid music.). After that, we practice the finished song until were comfortable with it.

It, also, generally gets recorded(raw) along the way to see if it has listening value.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Music Collective
Reload this Page Rehearsal, logistics, and the like

Social Website Bullshit