Polytune by Stilgar - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Music Collective
Reload this Page Polytune
Stilgar
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 07-20-2010, 13:34
TC Electronic | PolyTune - Still tuning one string at a time?

Neat idea, dunno if I like the execution.
When you strike one string it automatically reverts to a single string strobe 'needle,' I hate strobe needles. I kind of wish it had a way to lock it into a particular mode.

But strum the open fretboard and there is the status of all 6 strings.
A quick glance to know my 'E' and 'A' are flat...or whatever.

I paid $95.

Sponsored Links
AniMisM
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 07-20-2010, 15:23
I was going to buy one, but I ended up getting a HardWire HT-2 for free. I now have 3 HardWire pedals; these things ****ing rock.

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
3 - 07-20-2010, 15:47
What's so great about them? I thought they were just rebranded DoD/Digitech pedals.

Stilgar
VeteranXV
Old
4 - 07-20-2010, 16:08
Just that you can tell at a glance the status of all six strings.

You don't spend time tuning strings that are already in tune.

AniMisM
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 07-20-2010, 16:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_skul View Post
What's so great about them? I thought they were just rebranded DoD/Digitech pedals.
They're made by Digitech, but the quality is much better than their typical pedals. Once you play with a couple you'll see what I mean. They're built like tanks and sound great for the price, and they're true bypass. You can tell they put some effort into them. They all ship with knob locks so your settings stay put, velcro for your pedalboard, and a glow-in-the-dark sticker if you have trouble seeing your pedals on dark stages. I think they also come with a 6 year warranty.

Check 'em out - HardWire Extreme Performance Pedals

AniMisM
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 07-20-2010, 16:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
Just that you can tell at a glance the status of all six strings.

You don't spend time tuning strings that are already in tune.
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, bro. The Polytune is great, and I think we had a thread about it before actually. It could be useful on stage for sure, but might take some getting used to?

OtisPAB
VeteranX
Old
7 - 07-20-2010, 19:12
i will have to check this polytune out. i like my other tc electronic stuff

Stilgar
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 07-21-2010, 20:13
Okay - figured this one out - it rocks.

Keep strumming the six strings, do not stop to strum one string at a time.
It sounds elementary, but it's easy to slip past. Normal SOP is to stop and focus on the out of tune string - one at a time.
Just keep strumming and move from tuner to tuner tweaking the strings that are out.

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
9 - 07-22-2010, 01:47
I wish Petersen made something like this that was accurate to 1/100th of a cent, like my Strobostomp is. I also have the Strobosoft app for iPhone, and it's just as accurate (and has a better display, and cost $9.99)

Archimedes
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 07-22-2010, 22:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_skul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMisM View Post
They're made by Digitech, but the quality is much better than their typical pedals. Once you play with a couple you'll see what I mean. They're built like tanks and sound great for the price, and they're true bypass. You can tell they put some effort into them. They all ship with knob locks so your settings stay put, velcro for your pedalboard, and a glow-in-the-dark sticker if you have trouble seeing your pedals on dark stages. I think they also come with a 6 year warranty.

Check 'em out - HardWire Extreme Performance Pedals
Animism is correct. The Hardwire series is a series seeking to emulate the sounds of boutique pedals, and so the construction is much better and the sound quality is far superior to the normal line of Digitech pedals. I have the TL-2 Metal Distortion and you can get everything from a overdriven bluesy sound to a sludgy metal distortion. It works wonders for people that don't have an amp that provides metal overdrive, or if someone is seeking to use it for an overdrive tone for solo work.

I got mine when I was using a Peavey Classic 30 as my primary amp, but since I bought my Peavey 6505+ Combo it has fallen out of favor. Still a great pedal though, and I have heard equally great things about the entire Hardwire line.

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
11 - 07-22-2010, 23:03
Meh. I keep hearing good things about the pedals, but when I listen to their sound samples, I think they sound kind of pedestrian. I'm sure they get the job done, but if I have the choice of spending $100 on a Tube Screamer or the Hardwire version of a Tube Screamer, I'm gonna get the real deal.

Electro Harmonix has some nifty new pedals. It's not much of a guitar pedal, but there is an extremely hot woman in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnj2oU8MYCI

Bezel
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 07-23-2010, 21:02
guitar > cord > amp > perfect pitch wins. Never used a tuner or pedals. Well, I used a wah for awhile. That was 15 years ago or so when I wanted to be Hendrix.

Stilgar
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 07-23-2010, 21:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evele View Post
guitar > cord > amp > perfect pitch wins. Never used a tuner or pedals. Well, I used a wah for awhile. That was 15 years ago or so when I wanted to be Hendrix.
It's far different tuning up in a crowded venue.

Bezel
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 07-23-2010, 21:23
I always tuned to the bass if my ear was having an off day.

kyuss
K-U-R-T
Old
15 - 07-24-2010, 13:00
how does this pedal do for alternative tunings?

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
16 - 07-25-2010, 01:20
Not well. Although the tuner does drop-step tunings, it doesn't do alternate tunings, unless you want to use the "needle" mode. Since I play in drop D, there's no benefit to this tuner.

Also, the accuracy is to 0.5 cent, whereas the Peterson tuners are accurate to 0.01 cent. Half a cent? That's halfway out of tune, for me. Sorry, I will pass.

The Strobosoft tuner for iPhone is $9.99 and is accurate to 0.01 cent, as well. While I'm sure it's "nice" to know which strings are out of tune, I can still tune my guitar between songs pretty easily, one string at a time.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Music Collective
Reload this Page Polytune

Social Website Bullshit