Reload this Page Tribes : Ascend
Page 374 of 2009
ArchangelX
VeteranXV
Old
7461 - 10-06-2011, 00:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxCarnage View Post
There is only one guarantee... the reason they have no mod support is because in order to have any worth while mod, you'd have to have access to the load out system and there would be little stop someone from releasing a 'mod' which turned this game in to an inventory based game wrecking their 'pay per loadout' bull****. What worthwhile mod wouldn't have access to the weaponry and so forth?
I still don't understand what the big deal is about allowing dedicated servers that we can control. It would just end up being an unranked server the way the Battlefield games did it.

Or is it because we'd turn off all the crappy new stuff, and not ever play on a ranked server?

Sponsored Links
MaxxCarnage
VeteranXX
Old
7462 - 10-06-2011, 01:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
I still don't understand what the big deal is about allowing dedicated servers that we can control. It would just end up being an unranked server the way the Battlefield games did it.

Or is it because we'd turn off all the crappy new stuff, and not ever play on a ranked server?
It's because we'd mod it, only play the unranked server and never pay for anything.

Pengo
VeteranXV
Old
7463 - 10-06-2011, 01:16
modding and dedicated servers undermine their pay system, simple as that. why would you buy skins or loadouts when you can play a modded server with new, free skins and weapons?

who knows maybe if the free to play model starts failing--player population is steadily dropping out and the game is looking to die--they will release a version where you can buy the game for $15 with these options and hope the community turns it into something.

honestly that wouldnt be a bad idea. they could contract with the mod team for work on their upcoming MMO tribes (which I still think sounds funny and is not likely to happen)

Pachacutec
VeteranX
Old
7464 - 10-06-2011, 01:20
Hay guyth, I heard some new software company is ****ing up the Tribes franchise, what else is new?!?!

At this rate the TW community would be happier with z2 Solutions being the next Tribes developer.

ArchangelX
VeteranXV
Old
7465 - 10-06-2011, 01:20
I think the fact that they wanted to turn Tribes into an MMO as soon as they bought the IP should have been pretty much a sign to everyone of just what the **** we were getting into with HR. Blah.

ArchangelX
VeteranXV
Old
7466 - 10-06-2011, 01:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
modding and dedicated servers undermine their pay system, simple as that. why would you buy skins or loadouts when you can play a modded server with new, free skins and weapons?

who knows maybe if the free to play model starts failing--player population is steadily dropping out and the game is looking to die--they will release a version where you can buy the game for $15 with these options and hope the community turns it into something.

honestly that wouldnt be a bad idea. they could contract with the mod team for work on their upcoming MMO tribes (which I still think sounds funny and is not likely to happen)
If they took what they had now...threw out the loadout system and implemented the T1/T2 inventory system, I'd buy it in a hearbeat...(as long as they got the skiing/jet part right).

EvanVolm
Veteran++
Old
7467 - 10-06-2011, 02:47
Quote:
who knows maybe if the free to play model starts failing--player population is steadily dropping out and the game is looking to die--they will release a version where you can buy the game for $15 with these options and hope the community turns it into something
So pretty much the exact opposite of what they did with GA...

Irn-Bru
VeteranXV
Old
7468 - 10-06-2011, 03:42
What's Tribes?

ROFL

But seriously, my predicition goes something like this in HiRez boardroom:

1. Resurrect awesome game
2. Alter to F2P
3. Ignore community and design it for CoD kiddies and the mass market sans mods
4. ???
5. PROFIT FAIL
6. Panic
7. Sell code
8. Watch success of game that's about 10% of what you released
9. Smile, steepl fingers, cast gaze around other dead FPS titles
10. Profit

Last edited by Irn-Bru; 10-06-2011 at 03:49..
cael
VeteranXX
Old
7469 - 10-06-2011, 03:43
no mods LOL

SINep
VeteranXX
Old
7470 - 10-06-2011, 03:47
They said no mods "initially," but they also said no promises.

darkpiece
VeteranXX
Old
7471 - 10-06-2011, 03:59
no mods is LoL, however, only 1 loadout with disc launcher is ROFLMAO

ArchangelX
VeteranXV
Old
7472 - 10-06-2011, 04:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irn-Bru View Post
What's Tribes?

ROFL

But seriously, my predicition goes something like this in HiRez boardroom:

1. Resurrect awesome game
2. Promise not to @#$! it up.
3. Proceed to @#$! it up.
4. Alter to Online MMO RPG (giggle incoherently with maddened glee)
5. Hear the voice of reason (money), and throw out MMO RPG idea
6. Alter to F2P
7. Ignore community and design it for CoD kiddies and the mass market sans mods
8. ???
9. PROFIT FAIL
10. Panic
11. (Squirm as community blames Todd Harris for everything)
12. Sell code
13. Watch success of game that's about 10% of what you released
14. Smile, steeple fingers, cast gaze around other dead FPS titles
15. Profit
Altered for Truph.

Last edited by ArchangelX; 10-06-2011 at 04:52..
Irn-Bru
VeteranXV
Old
7473 - 10-06-2011, 04:35
What is it about this forum... usually it's people highlighting my ignorance and NOW Angel, highlighting my laziness.

+truph indeed though.

MaD_ReBeL
VeteranXV
Old
7474 - 10-06-2011, 04:47
Quote:
tf2 and the manconomy say hi

the reason is they're hacks who can't figure out how valve did what they did.

Durak
VeteranXV
Old
7475 - 10-06-2011, 06:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD_ReBeL View Post
tf2 and the manconomy say hi

the reason is they're hacks who can't figure out how valve did what they did.
I quit tf2 after they implemented the class updates where you had you level grind your classes to get the new gear

I play fps because I enjoy the fact that I can jump on a server any time I want and blast some fools for 20 or 30 minutes and then I can put it down again until the next day... Having to play a set amount of time per day in order to further the experience is counter-intuitive for this genre. If I wanted that I would play an mmo instead...

Durak
VeteranXV
Old
7476 - 10-06-2011, 17:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durak View Post
I quit tf2 after they implemented the class updates where you had you level grind your classes to get the new gear

I play fps because I enjoy the fact that I can jump on a server any time I want and blast some fools for 20 or 30 minutes and then I can put it down again until the next day... Having to play a set amount of time per day in order to further the experience is counter-intuitive for this genre. If I wanted that I would play an mmo instead...
rofl dennis neg repped me for this post

how am i misinformed about tf2

i ****ing had the game and quit because of new gear-grinding mechanics

Swamp Kitten
VeteranX
Old
7477 - 10-06-2011, 17:55
I don't think there's any grinding mechanics at all

You play the game because it's fun, and you get stuff for playing

If you don't get what you wanted, craft it out of the tons of other **** you've already received

kyuss
K-U-R-T
Old
7478 - 10-06-2011, 18:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Kitten View Post
I don't think there's any grinding mechanics at all

You play the game because it's fun, and you get stuff for playing

If you don't get what you wanted, craft it out of the tons of other **** you've already received
that and the vast majority of new weapons are side-grades, not upgrades; the potential benefits are cancelled out by penalties. there are a couple that are critical, but they're so easy to get it's not worth mentioning.

edit, haa, just realized this was my first post in the **** thread.

Swamp Kitten
VeteranX
Old
7479 - 10-06-2011, 18:18
what are critical?

MaD_ReBeL
VeteranXV
Old
7480 - 10-06-2011, 18:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durak View Post

your decision to stop playing has little to do with my point. you can have a centralized database that says "this player id has access to items a-j but not k-z" and still allow dedicated servers, mod tools, map tools, etc.

i really couldn't give less of a **** if you do or don't play tf2 as that has nothing to do with my point. thanks for sharing though, i may or may not sleep better knowing your point of view.

Page 374 of 2009

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Tribes : Ascend

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
35 psi , animal approves , ascend means more shrikes , austrians , badmofo is a big fucking deal , better graphics without t1 , bf3 blows goats , blitz is a cyberathlete , conspiracy , constraints = creativity , dare play tribe , derp , fuzzy is best tribe player , grapple , kill obibun's dad please , loadout fail , loafting , look i added some tags , moar mortar plz , obibun taint licker , odio is a fucking retard , odio is fucking a retard , phase 12 , primers , raaaaape~wdeath , targeting laser ftw , the enemy is raping our base , the tao of tribe , this game will succeed , tits:ass , tribes 4 will be fun , tribes: ass end , unreal engine fail , vab nothing left to prove , ze balls make it gay