Mitch or Tehvul, who do you respect more?

Who do you respect more, Mitch or Tehvul.

• Total voters
Why can't you just make a post like everyone else, Tele? Why does every single one have to be an 8th grade two week class project?

Why, Tele? Why?

mitch, we kno that the dissemination of plumbing knowledge threatens ur work as truck coordinator at dubai's third most successful poop truck company, but u rly don't have 2 bring urself down 2 the lvl of calling somebody a nerd 4 trying 2b informative

And a concept I tried to recreate at a board meeting 2 years ago.

You guys are going to learn a little bit about rain gutters and downspouts... sorry. :lol:

We were called out to clean out a bunch of rain gutters and downspouts at an association that is mostly 4-stories high. I dont like bidding on these due to safety reasons so I bid the job high and wouldn't you know... they signed it.

Sent the gutter cleaning crew over there and they cleaned out the gutters and downspouts. Next rain, I get a call saying my guys missed a bunch of the gutters, as they are all overflowing which is very loud when the water lands. Send the crew back out there, and everything is clean and free flowing. I explain this to the manager and ask for a history of this and if it's been an ongoing issue. She calls me back and said, "This has been happening since the buildinig was built, 20+ years ago."

Derp! This is something I would've liked to know ahead of time. "Sorry, Sam, this is a new HOA for us." Because of this, I need to go and inspect the gutter and downspout system to figure out why they are not working.

First thing I notice is that they have half-round gutters installed but no ribbed brackets to support the weight of the water in the gutter. These should be installed every 4' because, as you know, water weighs a lot. Because of this, all the gutters are leaning forward, some by quite a bit.

Wl5VEYr.jpg

Even though they are leaning a lot, they should still be working... kind of. But something else struck me as WTF and that was the size of their downspouts. 2" round downspouts which is way, way to narrow.

The way a gutter system works is that there is a drop outlet that is cut through the bottom of the gutter, and slides down through the gutter, and inside of the downspout.
08RzPHk.jpg

The drop outlet is typically 1.75" to 2" round and when you install a 2" round downspout to these drop outlet, it is a very tight fit. Too tight, in fact.
MreqcIJ.jpg

Some where so tight, you couldn't even see the drop outlet.
FFolLKh.jpg

So I called 1 of my roofers and had him meet me there so I can run 2 tests. There was a nice 10' long gutter that was accessible from a 1-story ladder.
OiDj6Pj.jpg

I had my guy cork off the drop outlet, and we flooded the rain gutter until it was overflowing. Once it begun to overflow, I had him remove the cork and at the same time, I started my stop watch. It took 1:47 seconds to drain that 10' gutter completely.

So we remove the preexisting 2" round downspout, and installed a 2" X 3" downspout to the drop outlet that was allowing air to flow through the system.
M0kEcsP.jpg

gZprMwy.jpg

We flooded the gutter again, and ran the stop watch and the gutter drained in :34 seconds. Holy shit!

Explained this to the HOA board members and used the example of pouring your cooking oil into a nicer bottle through a cone, and how if there is no air between the cone and the bottle, it takes forever for the oil to drain, until you lift it up a bit to allow for air and spill oil all over the place.

Anyways, I provided them with a gutter and downspout replacement for their HOA and bid it really high because... I didn't want the job. Guess what? Yep, we just finished it 2 weeks ago. Removing and replacing the gutters was back breaking work but they had fun installing most of the downspouts, as they got to drive around in a bucket-lift. :lol:

man does the pac nw get enough rain to justify this process too

6" in a day isn't unheard of in some areas. even a few inches an hour.

this is a great post and thank you for taking the time to make it

i wanted to respond to it weeks ago and thought i did......getting old i guess

there used to be math equations in differential calc that could then be converted back to algebraic expressions (like with laplacian transforms) that made the flow out and flow in quantifiable.

where you knew exactly what amount of rain per hour......or say gallons per min of water the system could accept (knowing the flow rate in/out) until the gutters would overflow again.

i really enjoyed that kind of stuff. it was the most math fun i remember having and a very useful thing to be able to do, or so i thought.....even though i have never had to use it but you just did.

to do those formulas right now would almost seems impossible to me for some reason. as is doing this kind of gutter work on my own. i hate heights.......lol

ur insult has less traction than plasmatic's rusty john deere w/ the fag tires did b/c he's fixing that rusty old shit

Talking about the rough in. Thats when I go in with a right angle drill and tell the framers fuck your studs. I'm drilling thru any of them I need to. If framers give me any shit, pun intended, I'll go get the fucking chainsaw. Show them what a good time is really all about. The rough in stud drilling and cutting thru the roof are why Plumbers are called "butchers". I always raise my vents on the back side of the house. I always make sure to consider roof valleys and structural situations when I'm cutting thru roof. 20' 30' is too far. Have to refer to local and state code for required distance. They very depending on location. Side note about vent systems. Depending on location plumber has to consider atmospheric conditions when running their vents. Pressure is important. Vacuum lock sucks donkey balls.

EDIT:

And this is why I didn't reroute the stink pipe in my house.

Makes perfect sense. To be perfectly honest the pedestal sink I put in the bathroom off the master bedroom has no vent. That fucker drains right to a cistern Mike had me put in. One of these days I will cut in a T and top it with a pro vent. Would have done it already but I've only been in the back part of the house a few times this year.

look at mitch w/ that commanding 21 votes

he's an attention whore anyway

so do the right thing and neg rep him, gets under his skin and may trigger another 'i quit tw' episode

Back