Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired

why would Mike Ryder order that unreal be used after being told it was 3rd or 4th choice? Could this be considered a "turning point"?

Mike had background with Epic, and if we could sign a multi-game licensing deal, the cost per game would be less. Unreal was not our first choice, but it was not a distant 3rd or 4th. We were disappointed, but we thought we could work with it.

10 pages of this is cathartic.
20 pages makes me want to stick a fork in my eye. I can't believe how this exploded.

I don't think Dave G. will show up. But if he does, I wish him well.

Thrax, wasn't there a company that we got a proposal from, that we didn't like? And then the company withdrew after we followed up with them. Seventh something? Fal?

no, that wasn't the company.

It wasn't presented to me like "oh yeah we totally turned them down"

I believe inquiries were made and this company didn't have room in the schedule or something, or just weren't interested. They never put together a proposal as far as I know.

Xcursion: I write software for the travel industry, so yeah it is similar

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time it was pretty universally accepted that T:V needed to be a new game, not a rehash of T1 or T2.

No offense weas, but that was obviously the wrong decision. And by "universally" do you mean everyone in the office? Because I'm pretty sure I remember you and others saying the physics and gameplay were going to go "back to their roots" and be more like T1 when T3 was first announced.

Again I respect what you guys tried to do, and I admit my mangina is still pretty sandy over the whole thing, because I really wanted another good Tribes game. I also agree hindsight is 20/20, but all that aside, if you had told me in the begining that it was going to be a total departure from everything that Tribes established, I would have told you then it was going to fail then too.

Last edited:
Well, that's entirely possible. We had biz dev make a lot of inquiries to find a good developer.

I liked IG because I thought they could nail the single player. And when they brought KP on board for design, I figured multiplayer was well tended as well.

I think with another $1M and 6-9 more months, it would have been a stellar game. T:V shipped on it's original schedule, having never missed a milestone. If it could have slipped like every other shooter (and would have had the politics not totally shifted after Ryder's departure) it would have been great, IMNSHO

I have no idea where that box came from or who made it. Worst POS I've ever seen. Every single box design submitted by TW was better than that crap.

The box was assigned to a marketing guy who had 30 other things to work on and knew nothing about Tribes. He read a half-page sheet that said Jetpacks! Futuristic Combat! He probably gave that sheet to the art guys, who knew gave him some options without ever playing the game. He probably
picked the first one. Nobody who had anything to do with the packaging knew anything at all about Tribes, and cared nothing for its success. I'm going to guess it was done in a week.

D:

that is just sad

QUESTION: Do you think that if VUG supported IGA to make at least 3-4 patches that fixed bugs and gameplay problems, do you think T:V would have been more of a success?

(BECAUSE I CERTAINLY DO, AND DESPITE T:V "sucking" I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT LEFT BECAUSE OF NO PATCH)

When it was time to decide on what T:V was going to be like did anyone stand up and say lets make the next natural progression in the series with a real sequel? Or did someone's own personal view of what Tribes should be like override that?

KP most likely got bullied and really didn't have much say.

He was probably more concerened about keeping his new job in the industry he wants to work in rather than getting his vision across (which is understandable)

probably also why he completely left the community after T:V shipped etc.

:wave:

hey Thrax thanks for stoppin by I miss your sense of humor on the boards

If you team up with nspecter slap me a PM

He won't and can't. If he shows up it'll be half "you are a Tribes god" and half "how could you let them ruin tribes given your personal gaming stake." Both are true and neither would be fun for him to deal with.

My personal opinion was that there were many blatant problems with the physics (I could right a ten page thesis explaining exactly what they are) and that it was under marketed. That said...

I loved playing base competition.
I loved playing LT competition.
I loved playing the single player.

He won't and can't. If he shows up it'll be half "you are a Tribes god" and half "how could you let them ruin tribes given your personal gaming stake." Both are true and neither would be fun for him to deal with.

Actullay alot of the times it has been talk about alot of other non tribes related topics just in TW lingo.

Back