Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited by Window - Page 22 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited
Page 22 of 96
Ixiterra
VeteranXV
Old
421 - 10-28-2011, 18:30
Mistborn was so-so. A good story, but the same old formula. Maybe I'm just jaded after having read wayyyy too many fantasy stories. But **** Wise Man's Fear is new and I'm pretty sure I consider that my new favorite book ever. Too bad the 2nd one was a huge disappointment. I hope the 3rd is better.

haven't read malazan and the reviews sound interesting. I have the first 3 of dragonriders to read though.

Last edited by Ixiterra; 10-28-2011 at 18:33..
Sponsored Links
Ixiterra
VeteranXV
Old
422 - 10-28-2011, 18:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobett View Post
Plus the entire book had a sort of LOTR feel to it. I can't recall specifics but I remember thinking at several points "This is direct plagiarism"
Heh if you want to see plagiarism, read the Sword of Truth series by Goodkind, he practically used the same names for **** from WoT.

Al'Muktar
VeteranXX
Old
423 - 10-28-2011, 18:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Shinzo View Post
So since I was getting tired of regular fantasy/scifi I decided to start reading a lot of the star wars books.

Mostly everything that didn't involve episodes 1-3 and the random crap stories.

The Thrawn series
The Yuuzhan Vong series
Legacy/Fate series were all great.

Some of the Sith stuff is really good.

Now that I polished it off I'm trying to get into reading the WH40k series.

I'm on book 3 of Gaunts Ghosts and I have all of the Horus Heresy to read as well.

What are good series (preferably completed) in the 40k series to jump on?
the blood angels (omnibus) **** is supposed to be pretty good, along with the salamanders (tome of fire) omnibus

personally though, you should just plough through the HH ****, it's ****ing sweet (apart from the ben counter books)

infact, the best 40k book ever written was 'legion' which is like number 7 or 8 and all about the alpha legion

written of course by dan the ****ING MAN abnett

Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
424 - 10-28-2011, 18:39
I'm pissed I cant find electronic versions of HH past the one about the giant ****ing ship of doom.

Al'Muktar
VeteranXX
Old
425 - 10-28-2011, 18:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
I'm pissed I cant find electronic versions of HH past the one about the giant ****ing ship of doom.
gughfghfhgfhghgnhghg that ****ing book, 'battle for the abyss'

the one right after 'legion' (best 40k novel ever)

ben '****ING ILLITERATE' counter

get this

they let him do his own series of novels on the grey knights

he even made the grey knights turn out to be ****ing ******s

THE GREY KNIGHTS

battle for the abyss was like

Spoiler

pZ II Birdy
VeteranXX
Old
426 - 10-29-2011, 08:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixiterra View Post
Mistborn was so-so. A good story, but the same old formula. Maybe I'm just jaded after having read wayyyy too many fantasy stories. But **** Wise Man's Fear is new and I'm pretty sure I consider that my new favorite book ever. Too bad the 2nd one was a huge disappointment. I hope the 3rd is better.

haven't read malazan and the reviews sound interesting. I have the first 3 of dragonriders to read though.
Wise Man's Fear was the 2nd book... I'm a little confused here. I personally really enjoyed both The Name of the Wind and AWMF. Really looking forward to the 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobett View Post
I'm reading it right now on the recommendation of a friend; so far halfway through book 3. In my opinion, book 2 was amazing and 3 is looking great so far, but book 1 was basically ****. I feel like he didn't explain basic things, that were needed for the story to make any sense at all. Even things that the main characters seemed to already know, but were never announced.

Plus the way that none of the magic is ever explained until book 2, made the whole thing seem like a big Deus Ex Machina waiting to happen.

Plus the entire book had a sort of LOTR feel to it. I can't recall specifics but I remember thinking at several points "This is direct plagiarism"
Yes, there are A LOT of similar names... "Misty Mountains"/"Mountains of Mist", trolls/trollocs, etc. But the story in itself is very different other than a strong Good vs. Evil, save the world, defeat the big bad dude theme. I personally wasn't really ever a fan of LOTR but do really like WoT.

I think my main issues with WoT have to do with pacing. If you compare it to SoIF for example, there's two big differences. Jordan tends to spend a long time with a character before switching to another view point, while Martin tends to hop around more quickly. Secondly, Jordan tends to cover every minute of every character's life... so that when you return to them you are pretty much where the last section of that character ended. Martin on the other hand will leave a character and time will continue to progress while we follow others, which works as he tends to come back to characters often enough that we don't forget what had previously happened to them.

I feel that both these things combined really slowed Jordan's story telling down when the protagonists split up, as he now had to cover the same time period multiple times from multiple perspectives, etc. And it frustrated a lot of readers (myself included) when we were stuck following a character we didn't particularly care for for a third of the book.

As far as Deus Ex... I did not have any feelings of that in the later books. I'm still a little anxious about the end game, as Sanderson ended Mistborn with
Spoiler
, but I hope he doesn't pull that **** again.

Last edited by pZ II Birdy; 10-29-2011 at 08:42..
Phydeaux
VeteranXX
Old
427 - 12-15-2011, 12:33
Bumping this thread.

NPR's top 5 sci-fi/fantasy books for 2011
Fired Up: The Year's Best Science Fiction And Fantasy : NPR

Scud411
VeteranXV
Old
428 - 12-15-2011, 12:40
Book of the New Sun
Gene Wolfe.

TF_Grungir
VeteranXV
Old
429 - 12-15-2011, 14:18
Reading the Drizzt series right now. Am enjoying it

Tic
VeteranXX
Old
430 - 12-15-2011, 14:23
Just read the Name of the Wind...****ing awesome.

Cant wait for the second one to come out on non hardcover.

Ruthven
VeteranXX
Old
431 - 12-15-2011, 14:36
Thanks for the NPR. I read Dragons and thought it recovered well from Feast of Crows. Highlight of the list for me is Heroes by Joe Abercrombie...love everything that guy has written.

Phydeaux
VeteranXX
Old
432 - 12-15-2011, 15:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF_Grungir View Post
If you're a fan of Forgotten Realms, I recommend Paul S. Kemp's Erevis Cale Trilogy and Twilight Wars Trilogy. He's probably my favorite author in the Forgotten Realms world.

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
433 - 12-15-2011, 15:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF_Grungir View Post
**** yes, loved all the drizzt books. and there's quite a few of them.

P Masta Flex
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
434 - 12-15-2011, 15:42

n/x
Veteran++
Old
436 - 12-15-2011, 16:56
Peter Watts Blindsight. Read it for the second time last week. Also, K.J Parker writes some good stuff.

Bodom
VeteranXX
Old
437 - 12-26-2011, 18:06
just finished Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga. Probably going to read the Hunger Games and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo before moving on. Is Hamilton's Void series worth it?

-=TTC=-Serpreme
VeteranXV
Old
438 - 12-26-2011, 18:08
Yes!

Fyre Knight
VeteranX
Old
439 - 12-26-2011, 19:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
just finished Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga. Probably going to read the Hunger Games and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo before moving on. Is Hamilton's Void series worth it?
I just finished the void trilogy yesterday and I would highly recommend it if you liked the commonwealth saga.

pZ II Birdy
VeteranXX
Old
440 - 12-26-2011, 19:18
I read the Hunger Games trilogy over the past 3 days. Obviously written by a woman with the ever present fashion elements and typical Twilight "Which boy do I love!? Omg I don't know!"

But if you can get past that they were quite good.

Page 22 of 96

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex knapik-levert